HELP! Ceramic Coating...is it worth it?

hkbooner
Apr 29, 2022

Rank III

Apr 29, 2022

I see a lot of people talking about having their Bronco done but I am pretty much dumb to the topic and want to get y'all's feedback on if it is worth it or not. What are the pros, cons, upkeep, etc.? Just trying to see if it is worth the investment, especially since I have been quoted by a few places as to what they would charge. I mentioned that it is brand new and would (most likely, I believe) NOT need all the paint correction, water spot removal, etc. prep that seems to cost as much as the coating itself. Any advice and/or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
'22 Bronco WT, CG, 4dr, 2.7L, SAS, Lux, Leather, Tow, PPF
Order 7/20/21 & 10/8; VIN 12/22; Blend 3/26/22; Purchased 4/23
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2022

Rank VI

Apr 29, 2022

Spend the money on ppf. You’ll be much happier
hkbooner

Rank V

Apr 29, 2022

Make sure it is an actual ceramic coat and not just basically an advanced wax job. My quotes were always for the job itself (generally $2,000) not broken down into any of the other things you said. My wife loves her ceramic coating on her 22 Lincoln Aviator. Simple wash down and it’s like new. Good against any type of minor things that would have chipped or scratched. It’s not going to deflect a pebble at 70 mph. No upkeep at all. Last 5-7 years. If you’re a person that normally waxes your vehicle every 3 months or gets mad at the minor imperfections (scratches/chips) time/driving does to a vehicle it’s worth it in the long run, as long as you intend to keep the car 5-7 years. Hope this helps and good luck.
MY22 Badlands, Eruption Green, Sasquatch, 2.7, Lux. Res. Date 5/27/21, Ordered 10/15/21, On Ice Mountain…
BroncoWild21, Bschurr

No Ragerts

Apr 29, 2022

Ceramic coating is 100% a worthwhile investment. All my vehicles get this treatment and it ensures that your paint retains its luster for years and makes cleaning super quick & easy! I have all painted surfaces, the glass & rims ceramic coated.

I would suggest that you have the paint color corrected before ceramic coating for optimal results. Ceramic coating doesn’t really provide any significant protection from physical damage like PPF will so, if you go the PPF route, I would color correct, PPF and then ceramic coat the PPF. (y)
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
TravelingFlwr, hkbooner

Rank V

Apr 29, 2022

Do you need ceramic coatings? No, you don't. Is it better than regularly waxing your vehicle? Yes, it can be considerably better depending on what is being used.
If I lived in an industrial area where rain can be contaminated, then I would make sure to do ceramic coatings or PPF.
The ceramic coating does nothing to protect your paint from abrasion. that's what PPF will give you.
Now if you want to DIY, here is a pro detailer walking you through a detailed job on a Bronco Sport including a1 year ceramic coating.
https://www.tiktok.com/@jtmobiledet...1&sender_device=pc&web_id=7051357660239676934
2D Base Mansquatch: Ord 11-24-2021; VIN 3-16-2022; Schd 5/9/22; Sticker 5/4/22; Modules 5/10/22;Built 5/11/22;Shipt 5/12/22;Delv 5/24/22
hkbooner

Official unofficial BN Photographer

Apr 29, 2022

I'm 100% convinced it's snake oil. I was even told as much by someone who used to have a shop installing it.
Reservation: 7/20/20 | MY '21 order: 2/1/21 | MY '22 order: 10/22/21 | Blend 8/5, built 8/8, 'built' status 8/27, in my driveway 10/12/22
Auto Photographer in Sacramento CA:
www.instagram.com/photographybymarkbrooks
hkbooner, Rydfree

Rank V

Apr 29, 2022

I'm 100% convinced it's snake oil. I was even told as much by someone who used to have a shop installing it.
It can be. That's why I won't trust a dealer's version of "ceramic coating" because I can't know what was used, and they have a large amount of motivation to do the cheapest thing as possible.

Here is a good post that describes what ceramic coatings do, this being compared to zaino, a previously highly used polymer for show cars due to its ability to create a crazy deep shine. Ceramic coatings are silicon dioxide products derived from quartz.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...is-there-something-better.html#post1601795248and here is a chemist video sharing about ceramic coatings
2D Base Mansquatch: Ord 11-24-2021; VIN 3-16-2022; Schd 5/9/22; Sticker 5/4/22; Modules 5/10/22;Built 5/11/22;Shipt 5/12/22;Delv 5/24/22
hkbooner, BroncoWild21

Burrito Connoisseur

Apr 30, 2022

It largely depends how much work you want to put into your vehicle, and if you want to do it yourself or are willing to pay other people to do it.
  • If you want to do a little work as possible... paint protection film is usually the way to go. The problem is the quality of paint protection film varies widely. Cheaper paint-protection film can scratch easily or discolor with time and make your vehicle look like junk if you ordered a lighter color like white or cactus gray. Quality paint protection film can look fantastic... but... well... it's pretty expensive. So expensive that many people will just ceramic coat the PPF after it is applied for extra protection, and it's not uncommon to see PPF cost four times more than a ceramic coating at the same shop. You can do PPF yourself, if you haven't done it before it can be mega-frustrating and it will require some trial/error until you figure it out.
  • If you are willing to keep up with general maintenance on your car... ceramic coatings are great. Professional ceramic coatings can last 2-3 years... sometimes as long as 5 years if you park your Bronco in a garage. Most the coatings you do at home only last around a year-ish. The downside of ceramic coatings is it is somewhat expensive to do professionally, and not super forgiving if you do it yourself. There are more forgoving ceramic coatings available, but unfortunately the less forgiving coatings generally don't last as long.
  • If you are the type to wash your car weekly and really enjoy working on your car... waxing may make more sense. Waxes are cheaper and super forgiving if you apply it yourself. If you screw up... not a big deal. The downside is wax coatings only last a few months. If you park outside in the Arizona summer sun and you have a darker paint color... you probably will only get 1 month out of a wax coating. If you park inside a garage, probably 2-4 months. So you're looking at waxing at least 3-4 times a year to keep up with it. For some people that's just too much of a hassle.
In terms of looks... most "car people" will tell you a wax looks the best, particularly if you ordered a warm color like race red, cyber orange, or hot pepper red. If you ordered a darker color or a color with a lot of metallic flake in it (like anti-matter blue or eruption green) people tend to gravitate towards ceramic coatings due to it's longer-lasting hydrophobic properties. Lighter colors are generally a lot more forgiving than darker colors, so you don't have to worry about it quite as much.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
hkbooner, Darrel

Rank V

Apr 30, 2022

Listen to Sarah.

TravelingFlwr, hkbooner

Gladesmen

Apr 30, 2022

I dunno, I have a 14 year old car with close to 400k that still looks pretty good it lives outside and I have probably washed it 8 times total I did use that ZR1 spray stuff a few times.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
hkbooner, Bschurr

Anxiously waiting for Super Cel

Apr 30, 2022

I swear by the products from #griotsgarage Griots Garage. https://www.griotsgarage.com/
Been using it for over 20 years. Wash, clay, polish, and wax.
Black Diamond/4-door/mid pkg/2.7/MIC/rack/towing/Eruption Green/res 7.13.20/ord 2.8.21, then 10.15.21/built 1.21.22/delivered 4.15.22
Gunstock Off-Roadeo 10/29/22/Steel and Stirrups Traveling Lamp holder 9.23
Gaia GPS
TravelingFlwr, hkbooner

Rank V

Apr 30, 2022

I use a product called topcoat F11. Goes on painted surfaces windows plastic everything. Less expensive. Same amount of time as washing the car. Super easy and looks works great.
hkbooner

Rank V

Apr 30, 2022

I use a product called topcoat F11. Goes on painted surfaces windows plastic everything. Less expensive. Same amount of time as washing the car. Super easy and looks works great.

Topcoat F11 is a ceramic sealant. It is water-based and will not last as long as a ceramic sealant but will give you a nice result. Such sealants are often used as a final topcoat when washing a vehicle that has had ceramic coatings applied, enhancing the shine.
Deano Bronc, MCBronco777

Rank 0

Apr 30, 2022

Nope, go to a reputable shop or do it your self. Worth it if you are a paint Geek. Have done it my self on my last 2 vehicles and the hydrophobic properties alone are worth it to me. Prep is the key, on a new vehicle it is pretty easy though. 6068E175-0034-492E-A728-5EBD9244004F.jpeg12F6C140-B958-461F-AF5D-F894A7E6E7D0.jpeg
'22 Bronco Wildsquatch, EG, 4dr, 2.7L, leveled, 37s on stockers, SAS, Lux, Leather, Tow
Big Daddy, Mal

Rank V

Apr 30, 2022

Topcoat F11 is a ceramic sealant. It is water-based and will not last as long as a ceramic sealant but will give you a nice result. Such sealants are often used as a final topcoat when washing a vehicle that has had ceramic coatings applied, enhancing the shine.
I just put it on between normal washes. Works great. Also makes black plastic trim look like new and does not gray a day later.
mike8675309

Rank III

May 01, 2022

It largely depends how much work you want to put into your vehicle, and if you want to do it yourself or are willing to pay other people to do it.
  • If you want to do a little work as possible... paint protection film is usually the way to go. The problem is the quality of paint protection film varies widely. Cheaper paint-protection film can scratch easily or discolor with time and make your vehicle look like junk if you ordered a lighter color like white or cactus gray. Quality paint protection film can look fantastic... but... well... it's pretty expensive. So expensive that many people will just ceramic coat the PPF after it is applied for extra protection, and it's not uncommon to see PPF cost four times more than a ceramic coating at the same shop. You can do PPF yourself, if you haven't done it before it can be mega-frustrating and it will require some trial/error until you figure it out.
  • If you are willing to keep up with general maintenance on your car... ceramic coatings are great. Professional ceramic coatings can last 2-3 years... sometimes as long as 5 years if you park your Bronco in a garage. Most the coatings you do at home only last around a year-ish. The downside of ceramic coatings is it is somewhat expensive to do professionally, and not super forgiving if you do it yourself. There are more forgoving ceramic coatings available, but unfortunately the less forgiving coatings generally don't last as long.
  • If you are the type to wash your car weekly and really enjoy working on your car... waxing may make more sense. Waxes are cheaper and super forgiving if you apply it yourself. If you screw up... not a big deal. The downside is wax coatings only last a few months. If you park outside in the Arizona summer sun and you have a darker paint color... you probably will only get 1 month out of a wax coating. If you park inside a garage, probably 2-4 months. So you're looking at waxing at least 3-4 times a year to keep up with it. For some people that's just too much of a hassle.
In terms of looks... most "car people" will tell you a wax looks the best, particularly if you ordered a warm color like race red, cyber orange, or hot pepper red. If you ordered a darker color or a color with a lot of metallic flake in it (like anti-matter blue or eruption green) people tend to gravitate towards ceramic coatings due to it's longer-lasting hydrophobic properties. Lighter colors are generally a lot more forgiving than darker colors, so you don't have to worry about it quite as much.
Thank you for this break down! Definitely helps understand it better.
'22 Bronco WT, CG, 4dr, 2.7L, SAS, Lux, Leather, Tow, PPF
Order 7/20/21 & 10/8; VIN 12/22; Blend 3/26/22; Purchased 4/23

Rank III

May 04, 2022

Thank you for this break down! Definitely helps understand it better.
This is an excellent and accurate summary of the options available. I had my Shadow Black WildTrak completely PPF'd and ceramic coated, as I live in Florida, the vehicle is black, and my wife's X7 gets the garage space. Further, as you mentioned, I don't want to wax the vehicle several times (at a minimum) each year. Great info.