Hardtop options

colinweeks
Oct 06, 2021

Rank III

Oct 06, 2021

Greetings all. My 4d Badlands is arriving 10/14. it was originally a hardtop, but my dealer told me to change to softtop and magically the car went into production almost immdiately. Although I am excited, I am actually freaking out about the soft top. I really didn't want it, but I didn't want to wait until 2022 to get my Bronco. So here's my question - does anybody know realistically when I can order a hardtop from Ford? If not, I have to assume that 1,000 companies will be making aftermarket hardtops given this debacle. Anybody know of one doing it yet?

Thanks in advance!

Colin
srick76, WeakNinja
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 06, 2021

Rank V

Oct 07, 2021

Greetings Colin and Welcome to Bronco Nation!

The general consensus around here has been that the current OEM MIC hardtop will not be available as a stand-alone Ford accessory until (best case) early 2023. Webasto and Ford have a lot of catching up to do before these are offered for sale by themselves. The MOD top will also be making its debut in MY23, provided the new supplier and factory get up to speed in time, so this might be another option to consider when the time comes. As with the MIC, the question with the MOD will then be when it might become available as an accessory since it is expected to be very popular upon availability as an option for MY23. I'm sure there are companies working on an aftermarket hardtop as we speak but I haven't seen anything solid on either BN or B6G. I'm sure it is just a matter of time, give it a few more months...
FE: 4 Dr, A51, NP
BRaptor: HPR; Original GT Res - 7/14/20
Bronco_Girl, WeakNinja

Rank III

Oct 07, 2021

Greetings Colin and Welcome to Bronco Nation!

The general consensus around here has been that the current OEM MIC hardtop will not be available as a stand-alone Ford accessory until (best case) early 2023. Webasto and Ford have a lot of catching up to do before these are offered for sale by themselves. The MOD top will also be making its debut in MY23, provided the new supplier and factory get up to speed in time, so this might be another option to consider when the time comes. As with the MIC, the question with the MOD will then be when it might become available as an accessory since it is expected to be very popular upon availability as an option for MY23. I'm sure there are companies working on an aftermarket hardtop as we speak but I haven't seen anything solid on either BN or B6G. I'm sure it is just a matter of time, give it a few more months...
Thank you!

Libations MOD

Oct 07, 2021

Yep, @DeepCreek hit it, 2023 if you are lucky as then they also have to worry about the MOD top too
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
OBXBroncoGuy

Oct 07, 2021

Personally, From the lack of aftermarket accessories right now, I think its going to be 2023 before we see anything hardtop. Especially since there are just too few broncos out there. Until there is a demand, it doesnt make sense for most companies to focus on that kind of money for that and for now, there isnt a high demand for it. Heck, 4WP sill hasn’t put out a pinnacle bar for the bronco. That’s cheap compare to a hardtop
Bronco_Girl, travisdougan

Rank VI

Oct 07, 2021

I would hang in there a bit, you may be able to pick up a used MIC top in a year also. People without room to store them and like the soft top option better may be looking to unload them. Just a thought. Congratulations on you r unit.
Last Ride Bronco, Bronco_Girl

Rank III

Oct 07, 2021

I would hang in there a bit, you may be able to pick up a used MIC top in a year also. People without room to store them and like the soft top option better may be looking to unload them. Just a thought. Congratulations on you r unit.
Great point. Thank you

Rank VI

Oct 07, 2021

Considering there are very few manufacturers of Jeep hard tops, and Jeeps have been around forever, I wouldn't anticipate (m)any aftermarket Bronco hard tops, and I would expect the cost to be similar to the aftermarket Jeep hardtops, which is ~$2,500 - $3,000. I don't think you'll find a Bronco hardtop for at least a year, maybe several.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
TK1215

Rank IV

Oct 07, 2021

I wonder since I ordered mine with both tops if I could get my Bronco faster if they just shipped with soft top and when in stock ship it?

Libations MOD

Oct 07, 2021

I wonder since I ordered mine with both tops if I could get my Bronco faster if they just shipped with soft top and when in stock ship it?
You can't get both, it was either or not both. Ford removed that from 21MY long ago but maybe once 22MY orders open could be a possibility
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered

Rank III

Oct 07, 2021

Yes, if I could’ve ordered both tops I would’ve done it in a heartbeat. That was not an option however. My dealer, however, seems to believe that he can find a hardtop for me relatively soon if I’m willing to pay, which I am
ResidualGenius

Libations MOD

Oct 07, 2021

Yes, if I could’ve ordered both tops I would’ve done it in a heartbeat. That was not an option however. My dealer, however, seems to believe that he can find a hardtop for me relatively soon if I’m willing to pay, which I am
I got oceanfront property in KS too if you have the money to pay!
AcesandEights, TK1215

Life is a Highway

Oct 07, 2021

I got oceanfront property in KS too if you have the money to pay!
Whooooooooo!
ResidualGenius

Rank V

Oct 07, 2021

Just a friendly word of caution...make sure he doesn't "find" you a MIC 1.0 hardtop that for some reason escapes the crusher after being yanked off another rig for replacement...
Jakob1972, ResidualGenius

Rank III

Oct 07, 2021

Just a friendly word of caution...make sure he doesn't "find" you a MIC 1.0 hardtop that for some reason escapes the crusher after being yanked off another rig for replacement...

I'll take a MIC 1.0 and improve it, any takers lol
Cyber Orange Badlands Sasquatch Soft top MGV LUX
Mikey Smith, jd-ford-hd

Rank V

Oct 08, 2021

I'll take a MIC 1.0 and improve it, any takers lol
Has anyone here personally laid their eyes on a MIC 1.0 to witness the "issue".?
I would love to have a MIC 1.0. Cosmetic issues only, right? I would take one in a heartbeat and go straight to the Rhino Liner shop.! Will Ford really dump these in a landfill.?! I wish they would donate these to charity to be auctioned off.!
F ederal O wnership R espectfully D eclined
Katwithcosmos, Bronco_Girl

Rank V

Oct 08, 2021

Has anyone here personally laid their eyes on a MIC 1.0 to witness the "issue".?
I would love to have a MIC 1.0. Cosmetic issues only, right? I would take one in a heartbeat and go straight to the Rhino Liner shop.! Will Ford really dump these in a landfill.?! I wish they would donate these to charity to be auctioned off.!
Based on various accounts from the few owners that took delivery in the summer, there is a spectrum of opinions on how bad they are. Some say it looks fine to them, others report the honeycombing is clearly visible, but the most concerning assessments are those of poorly finished edges (potentially) exposing the interior cardboard structure. So some may be purely cosmetic but there are likely some structural implications for those roofs with sub-standard edges (i.e. moisture drawn into the interior of the roof). I haven't heard anything official from Ford telling dealers what to do with the swapped out 1.0s, but I can't imagine Ford is just going to let them go unaccounted for and wander off. In my opinion Ford would not have gone through this entire DM MIC replacement fiasco for something that was purely cosmetic and didn't create structural concerns for the roof down the road. I'm guessing the engineers got involved and said this would become an issue so fix it now.

Also, keep in mind that dealers are supposed to swap out the glass from old to new tops, so any old top that isn't damaged in that removal process will at the very least be without the rear and side glass...
jd-ford-hd, Bronco_Girl

Rank III

Oct 08, 2021

Based on various accounts from the few owners that took delivery in the summer, there is a spectrum of opinions on how bad they are. Some say it looks fine to them, others report the honeycombing is clearly visible, but the most concerning assessments are those of poorly finished edges (potentially) exposing the interior cardboard structure. So some may be purely cosmetic but there are likely some structural implications for those roofs with sub-standard edges (i.e. moisture drawn into the interior of the roof). I haven't heard anything official from Ford telling dealers what to do with the swapped out 1.0s, but I can't imagine Ford is just going to let them go unaccounted for and wander off. In my opinion Ford would not have gone through this entire DM MIC replacement fiasco for something that was purely cosmetic and didn't create structural concerns for the roof down the road. I'm guessing the engineers got involved and said this would become an issue so fix it now.

Also, keep in mind that dealers are supposed to swap out the glass from old to new tops, so any old top that isn't damaged in that removal process will at the very least be without the rear and side glass...
In that case I'll take two 1.0 hard tops and still be happy
Cyber Orange Badlands Sasquatch Soft top MGV LUX
jd-ford-hd

Rank VI

Oct 08, 2021

Ok, this is going to sound stupid, what does MOD actually stand for? I know it is for the painted roof, I just couldn't come up with what the letters mean. Cut me a little slack, its been one of those weeks.
:unsure:
jd-ford-hd

Life is a Highway

Oct 08, 2021

Ok, this is going to sound stupid, what does MOD actually stand for? I know it is for the painted roof, I just couldn't come up with what the letters mean. Cut me a little slack, its been one of those weeks.
:unsure:
Modular
jd-ford-hd