Update on Bronco Software Bugs

Sulley
May 12, 2023

Friendly Neighborhood Sasquatch

May 12, 2023

Had a good meeting with Ford the other day, and they updated me on many bugs I’ve reported. It finally sank in that many of these were regressions from the full screen update. There are two software updates on the way, SU4 in the next couple of weeks, and SU5 a month or more after that.

SU4 will fix the map orientation resetting on every key cycle, speed limit disappearing, and some other bugs. There is an update in FDRS that can supposedly fix the speed limit bug but I am just waiting for the update.

SU5 will address the L/R steering wheel preset controls sometimes not responding, SiriusXM sometimes defaulting back to channel 1, and CarPlay/Android auto lagging.

There are several other bugs they’re still collecting diagnostics for from their beta testing population.

Didn’t have the heart to tell them I ordered a Jeep. I’ll probably have it before all my bugs are fixed.
Big Papa, Marmot
Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2023

A Zero Forever

May 12, 2023

Software bugs are completely normal in this day and age. I work on a daily basis with landscapes of equipment that need to be managed through bugs and bug fixes.

Interestingly, I haven't had any of the issues in my Bronco that are noted above. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I've had no problems.
2023 4-Door Badlands | V6 | Carbonized Gray Metallic + MIC Hardtop | 334A/Lux + Leather | Tow + 33" Shoes w/Optional Wheels + Capable Bumper
Reserved: 08.02.21 | Ordered: 10.29.22 | Build Week: 03.09.23 | Delivered to Dealership: 03.14.23 | Picked-Up: 03.25.23
JoergH, TEEDEE

May 12, 2023

Software bugs are completely normal in this day and age. I work on a daily basis with landscapes of equipment that need to be managed through bugs and bug fixes.

Interestingly, I haven't had any of the issues in my Bronco that are noted above. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I've had no problems.
Bugs are common. What is slightly frustrating here is how easy many of the bugs I’ve reported would have been caught if there was any reasonable amount of skilled regression testing being done, combined with the slow release cycle to fix user impacting problems.
LARS2827, BobN

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

May 12, 2023

The Android Auto in my '23 Badlands is buggy right now and I hate it . I had it connected and working fine the first day both wirelessly and with the cable, but next time I drove it there was no connection and the screen locked up. I fiddled with it for 30 minutes and then gave up. I work this weekend so will not have a chance to waste more time with it until Monday. My 2020 Ranger was a wired Sync 3 connection, but it worked flawlessly. I couldn't get this thing to even connect with the cable again:(
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."

Life is a Highway

May 12, 2023

I am curious as who you are reporting the bugs to at Ford. I haven’t had any of them yet, but I suppose at some point I may. Is it through your dealership or a solid source from Ford itself? Always better to be prepared in advance
Darrel, Deano Bronc

May 12, 2023

I am curious as who you are reporting the bugs to at Ford. I haven’t had any of them yet, but I suppose at some point I may. Is it through your dealership or a solid source from Ford itself? Always better to be prepared in advance
It's through some of their EPMs (with a few engineers tagging along) in their early access program. If you're interested in providing technical feedback, sign up for EAP, and they can (with some signatures) install tokens on your vehicle that give them access to diagnostics, etc.
TK1215

A Zero Forever

May 12, 2023

The Android Auto in my '23 Badlands is buggy right now and I hate it . I had it connected and working fine the first day both wirelessly and with the cable, but next time I drove it there was no connection and the screen locked up. I fiddled with it for 30 minutes and then gave up. I work this weekend so will not have a chance to waste more time with it until Monday. My 2020 Ranger was a wired Sync 3 connection, but it worked flawlessly. I couldn't get this thing to even connect with the cable again:(

This actually reminds me of when I had a Chevy rental car last year -- as soon as I physically plugged the phone into the car via USB, Android Auto completely hosed the screen (my map, audio, etc.). As long as I was connected via Bluetooth I didn't have any issues.
2023 4-Door Badlands | V6 | Carbonized Gray Metallic + MIC Hardtop | 334A/Lux + Leather | Tow + 33" Shoes w/Optional Wheels + Capable Bumper
Reserved: 08.02.21 | Ordered: 10.29.22 | Build Week: 03.09.23 | Delivered to Dealership: 03.14.23 | Picked-Up: 03.25.23
Rydfree

Brutus

May 12, 2023

Had a good meeting with Ford the other day, and they updated me on many bugs I’ve reported. It finally sank in that many of these were regressions from the full screen update. There are two software updates on the way, SU4 in the next couple of weeks, and SU5 a month or more after that.

SU4 will fix the map orientation resetting on every key cycle, speed limit disappearing, and some other bugs. There is an update in FDRS that can supposedly fix the speed limit bug but I am just waiting for the update.

SU5 will address the L/R steering wheel preset controls sometimes not responding, SiriusXM sometimes defaulting back to channel 1, and CarPlay/Android auto lagging.

There are several other bugs they’re still collecting diagnostics for from their beta testing population.

Didn’t have the heart to tell them I ordered a Jeep. I’ll probably have it before all my bugs are fixed.
I had a new Jeep rubicon it had same problems in the 8.4 unconnect All kinds of bugs kept going back and they would do down loads and clear it up for awhile and them more bugs fixes would come along I think they all are testing this technology on us the public they don’t have it right when they sell it
Rydfree, Darrel

Big Papa Panda

May 12, 2023

So, you're telling me it would be a waste of time to take it into the dealer to diagnose and repair? I've had issues with my screen freezing twice (had to pull over and restart the vehicle); CarPlay tuning in and out all the time; and the screen going dark once. Very intermittent. Very frustrating. I've had my Bronco for almost a year now.

An hour short of a day

May 13, 2023

I‘m really sorry you’ve had such a bad experience with Sync…. I either don’t pay as close attention or have been very lucky as I haven’t seen any of these things on my system…

I’ve never owned a Jeep… Tell me about what you ordered?
Thanks
Riding OB1, 23 4- door Outer Banks, SAS, MOD, MIC, Lux, Ordered 10/20/22, delivered 1/13/23

An hour short of a day

May 13, 2023

Y’all have to remember that high school kids eating hot pockets are writing the software for these systems…
Riding OB1, 23 4- door Outer Banks, SAS, MOD, MIC, Lux, Ordered 10/20/22, delivered 1/13/23
Sven, TK1215

May 13, 2023

So, you're telling me it would be a waste of time to take it into the dealer to diagnose and repair? I've had issues with my screen freezing twice (had to pull over and restart the vehicle); CarPlay tuning in and out all the time; and the screen going dark once. Very intermittent. Very frustrating. I've had my Bronco for almost a year now.
Next time, reset the system by holding power and right seek. You can also get into diagnostics by turning the radio on, and holding power and left seek. Then when you end the sound test you’ll be in diag.
GeoBig

May 13, 2023

Y’all have to remember that high school kids eating hot pockets are writing the software for these systems…
They’re very well educated professionals, but working under idiotic schedules dictated by exec management, whose eyes are always bigger than their wallets … and probably understaffed.

That's a terrible idea, when do we start?

May 13, 2023

Actually, it's probably some 25 year old in either India or Eastern Europe that gets paid $1 per day. Ask Boeing how that kind of outsourcing is going for them...
4 Door BadSquatch | Soft-top | Velocity Blue | 2.7 Auto | Towing | Lux | Leather
GeoBig

An hour short of a day

May 13, 2023

Actually, it's probably some 25 year old in either India or Eastern Europe that gets paid $1 per day. Ask Boeing how that kind of outsourcing is going for them...
Actually didn’t mean to denigrate high school kids… probably wizzes with computers… and I agree working for non-technical execs likely is barrier-ridden

Big Papa Panda

May 13, 2023

Next time, reset the system by holding power and right seek. You can also get into diagnostics by turning the radio on, and holding power and left seek. Then when you end the sound test you’ll be in diag.
You’re kidding me. Right?

May 13, 2023

You’re kidding me. Right?
… no?