Good jack for off road use

Rjcook
Mar 05, 2022

Rank V

Mar 05, 2022

Hi I recently had to lift my bronco rear end to remove tires to add skid plates to shock mounts. I quickly discovers that my floor jack had to be fully extended to just barely get tires off the ground(33"). The jack that comes with the vehicle my work on a flat surface, but not on bad terrain. Anyone have any experience with changing the bronco tires in mud, rocks, inclines, off camber? It seems as if a air lift bag would be most useful in various terrains.
KPLOBX, MrMRPhoto
Last edited by a moderator: Mar 05, 2022

Rank VI

Mar 05, 2022

I really like the concept of the air bag, but I’m not sure about it in rocky/uneven terrain. Probably awesome on flat ground and beach applications though!
MrMRPhoto

Burrito Connoisseur

Mar 05, 2022

The go-to jack for off-road use is just a high-lift jack, also known as farm jacks. Plenty of options available, but the most popular is probably by a company called Hi-Lift. But for awhile companies have starting to come out with newer more compact designs. ARB's jack is extremely common option that I've seen all over the place. My favorite jack is made by AGM, but... it's often out of stock. A lot of people also just carry around bottle jacks with extensions.

I've actually never seen anyone using air lift bags before outside of beach applications, but that's an interesting idea. I don't know if I personally would want to carry one of those, largely because you would be reliant on a functioning air compressor that is capable of pumping out 120+ PSI, and most on-board air compressors meant for air lockers/tires max out around 80-100 PSI. But as long as you get a beefy enough air compressor, it could work.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
BoneyRoads, Rjcook

Rank V

Mar 05, 2022

The go-to jack for off-road use is just a high-lift jack, also known as farm jacks. Plenty of options available, but the most popular is probably by a company called Hi-Lift. But for awhile companies have starting to come out with newer more compact designs. ARB's jack is extremely common option that I've seen all over the place. My favorite jack is made by AGM, but... it's often out of stock. A lot of people also just carry around bottle jacks with extensions.

I've actually never seen anyone using air lift bags before outside of beach applications, but that's an interesting idea. I don't know if I personally would want to carry one of those, largely because you would be reliant on a functioning air compressor that is capable of pumping out 120+ PSI, and most on-board air compressors meant for air lockers/tires max out around 80-100 PSI. But as long as you get a beefy enough air compressor, it could work.
Thanks, so many different opinions on high lift jacks

Rank VI

Mar 05, 2022

A high-lift jack lifts the body, which means you have to unload the suspension before you get a tire off the ground. That means you're lifting the body much much higher than you would have to lift the wheel and tire at the axle. A stock bottle jack is probably better than a high-lift jack in almost all cases.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Bonnie6G, Rjcook

Rank V

Mar 05, 2022

Hi lift has accessories which can turn their jacks into come alongs as well, for manual winching.

Rank V

Mar 05, 2022

@Rjcook See pics and links below.

I have 37s and 3 inch lift on my BL 4 door. Last month I was testing jack options before a roadtrip with family through the desert to grand canyon.

I have a brand new Hi-Lift bought last year but quickly realized during set up (1) they are Not safe (2) I need accessory to make it work like a JackJaw or D-Lift bc there are no good Hi-Lift jack points unless maybe just using my 4WP bumpers to lift from in emergency. Links for both below. My Hi-Lift may come in handy at some point but until then..it just collects dust in my garage now.

When I bought my Hi Lift, I also got the red jack base and handle keeper kit. There are many vendors that offer one or both of them on amazon. Its a super thick/dense/tough plastic rubberish material. If you use a Hi-Lift, def get the handle keeper. Link below. Prices range $20-$50 depending on supplier.

The red jack base saved the day! If you flip it upside down, set your OEM jack on it with OEM jack extender...it worked perfect for lifting my 37 tire off the ground with another inch to go. I would trust it offroad as well. In fact, even with a Hi-Lift, I suggest using the red base offroad bc otherwise its flimsy.

You have to flip the red base upside down bc the OEM jack doesn't fit in the grooves when right side up.

Now I can use my factory Jack that sits secure in back vs having to haul around some other jack unsecure or mounted on the exterior (easy to steal etc).

Notes:
1. There is also a helpful lift point arrow on the chassis from factory at least for front tires. See pic.
2. The 2 screw handles that hold your OEM jack in place in back cargo storage area are needed for this application. One for the OEM jack extender and the other to help keep OEM jack centered on jack base.

If any questions let me know. Pics and 3 links below. Hope this helps.

Jack Base Link:

JakJaw Link:
http://www.jakjaw.com/howtouse.php
D-Lift Link:
https://jeepsneeds.com/products/d-lift-adaptor-hi-lift
20220206_103706.jpg20220206_103712.jpg20220206_103839.jpg20220206_103938.jpg20220206_103944.jpg20220206_105807.jpg20220206_105759.jpg20220206_125209.jpg20220206_104525.jpg20220206_104606.jpg
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992
PC Austin, Darrel

Rank VI

Mar 05, 2022

Here you go. Words from. BN Mayor
@BuzzyBud. Big thanks to @ Rgwinn

https://thebronconation.com/forums/threads/buzzybud’s-words-of-wizdom.7099/
Darrel, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Mar 07, 2022

I have been using a Hi-Lift for a while now, just waiting for someone to come out with some mounting solutions for the Bronco.
21 Base BadLands 7MT
Jaybronco, Rjcook

Rank V

Mar 07, 2022

I have been using a Hi-Lift for a while now, just waiting for someone to come out with some mounting solutions for the Bronco.
Me too, the wrangler rear door hinge mount looks suitable but don't know if it will fit bronco. I'm looking at the off road hyd jacks, but they are expensive.

Rank VI

Mar 07, 2022

After reading a lot of threads on a lot of forums, I’ve decided imma go with the Safe Jack. It’ll fit my needs offroad and comes in a handy ammo can, which may or may not fit perfectly with other stored items =]. It’s pricey, for sure, but my opinion is you can’t put a price on not decapitating yourself!
Frebaln, Darrel

Gladesmen

Mar 07, 2022

All of these lifting option have their place, you may be on a trail where depending on where you need it you might need every type of jack. It is really a good idea to go wheeling with a group then each person take a different type of lift or two. Then you will be prepared for anything. A high-lift is good jack for tall vehicles and it can be used as a winch in a pinch. The bottle jack is good to set under the axel then you can just roll off of the jack and pick it up when you clear it. The air jack is good for sandy areas and places not likely to puncture the bag. There are even some off road capable floor jacks. I have heard the arb high lift is kind of a one trick pony that is very expensive.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Darrel, Rjcook

Rank 0

Mar 07, 2022

A lot of people are saying the Hi Lift but I’m a bit more old school. I use a bottle jack with a small U-shaped cradle welded to the top that fits a rear axle. It is extremely primitive but takes up almost no room and I carry a couple of short blocks of 2x6. I find the boards are used in many different ways and a good bottle jack is safer than an old school bumper jack like the Hi Lift (my opinion…but that’s also why auto manufacturers quit putting them in cars in the late 70’s/early 80’s).
Deano Bronc, Rjcook

Rank I

May 30, 2022

Any luck with trail jack mounts for the bronco?