GOAT mode breakdown

guzie
Oct 25, 2020

Rank VI

Oct 25, 2020

I am looking for a more in depth breakdown of the GOAT modes and what each actually changes in the vehicle. I reserved a wildtrak but after seeing the interior colors I am really looking at the Badlands version. Doing so I lose SPORT mode in the GOAT and gain the Rock Crawl mode. What does SPORT mode do? Is it just a throttle response change? Shifting quicker? i know SPORT mode in our Mustang and we even have a SPORT mode in the ecosport my wife drives in the winter. They really need to give more details on these modes.
SuzHansen, Bronc96
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2020

Rank VI

Oct 25, 2020

I am looking for a more in depth breakdown of the GOAT modes and what each actually changes in the vehicle. I reserved a wildtrak but after seeing the interior colors I am really looking at the Badlands version. Doing so I lose SPORT mode in the GOAT and gain the Rock Crawl mode. What does SPORT mode do? Is it just a throttle response change? Shifting quicker? i know SPORT mode in our Mustang and we even have a SPORT mode in the ecosport my wife drives in the winter. They really need to give more details on these modes.

I have not yet seen all the details you seek. However, the Raptor community has been working with the GOAT modes for several years and their Raptor Forum has several discussion threads. I attached a link below that should get you started.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...t-how-baja-mode-works-yet.52293/#post-1095494
jswan, SuzHansen

Rank VI

Oct 25, 2020

I have not yet seen all the details you seek. However, the Raptor community has been working with the GOAT modes for several years and their Raptor Forum has several discussion threads. I attached a link below that should get you started.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...t-how-baja-mode-works-yet.52293/#post-1095494
Thanks for the link. They mentioned SPORT mode sharpening everything up and being their goto for daily driving. That is what I want it for myself. Coming from a sports car I’m used to quicker throttle response. Badlands is calling me for the interior colors but wildtrak is calling so I can have SPORT mode.
SuzHansen, porcupine

Rank VI

Oct 25, 2020

Just as the Raptor community talks at length about the Baja mode, the F150 community talks about the Sport Mode. I have attached just one link to the F150 Forum, there are many more. Ideally, you might enjoy the discussions centered around the 2.7L in and out of Sport Mode. Enjoy!

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/sports-mode-423118/
TorgSurv, Bronc96

Rank VI

Oct 25, 2020

One more reference for Sport Mode understanding. I love this stuff!

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...0-performance-enhanced-by-new-sport-mode.html
SuzHansen, JFord

Rank VI

Oct 25, 2020

Hey @guzie , I think this is what you seek! More GOAT Mode stuff. I found the charts below to be interesting. I "lifted them" from the 6g Forum. The link to the discussion thread appears below.

1603631157979.png

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ilability-for-each-model-trim-projected.2521/
Jpinnella, Gutter Clown

Rank VI

Oct 25, 2020

Hey @guzie , I think this is what you seek! More GOAT Mode stuff. I found the charts below to be interesting. I "lifted them" from the 6g Forum. The link to the discussion thread appears below.

View attachment 5020

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ilability-for-each-model-trim-projected.2521/
Thanks for this. I see sport mode offering the sweet stuff for my daily drives.:). Aggressive throttle, tight steering and open exhaust.
porcupine, Bronc96

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Oct 26, 2020

This guy shows what Baja mode does on dirt and loose gravel roads .
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
Gutter Clown, Gpscharron

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Oct 26, 2020

This guys shows what Baja mode does on dirt and loose gravel roads .
Wow. I was not sold on GOAT modes until I saw that. I thought the idea was kind of gimmicky, but that was impressive.
Hobgoblin, Rydfree

Rank VI

Oct 27, 2020

Looks like Sport and Baja are "basically" the same, so the Badlands without Sport mode should still offer a nice sporty mode with the Baja mode.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Hobgoblin, JGuske23

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Oct 27, 2020

Looks like Sport and Baja are "basically" the same, so the Badlands without Sport mode should still offer a nice sporty mode with the Baja mode.

Not sure what all sport mode does but Baja keeps the turbos spooled up even when you let off the gas so the boost is instantly there when you press the pedal again .
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Rank VI

Oct 27, 2020

The list of what the modes do is listed above. Both Baja and Sport are "aggressive"/"hard" (throttle/trans).
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Oct 27, 2020

Exhaust closed
Exhaust open

hhhmmmmm sounds like fun
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Oct 29, 2020

Exhaust closed
Exhaust open

hhhmmmmm sounds like fun
The exhaust sort of reminds me of what Corvette did on the C6 Z06. It was based on "competition mode" being engaged or not, and it would open the butterfly valves in the mufflers. Cool thing to do was pull the little 10 amp fuse to take power away from the valves so they'd just stay open ;)
PSUTE, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Oct 29, 2020

I'm not sure how the goat modes work in the manual. I read a study about how they work, in an automatic. Changing shift points and rev hang times whatnot. But on a manual, I only see maybe some fuel mapping and timing changes with different settings for the differentials and traction control. Which can all be tweaked independent of the goat wheel
SuzHansen, Deano Bronc

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Oct 29, 2020

I'm not sure how the goat modes work in the manual. I read a study about how they work, in an automatic. Changing shift points and rev hang times whatnot. But on a manual, I only see maybe some fuel mapping and timing changes with different settings for the differentials and traction control. Which can all be tweaked independent of the goat wheel
I think they also control steering input. One nice thing about it is that you can turn on/off multiple features at once. For example, turn the dial to Rock Crawl, and the sta-bar disconnects, lockers engage, transfer case shifts into 4-lo, and traction control is turned off (or at least into an off-road mode) without having to push 5 or 6 different buttons. I believe you'll also have the option to then turn one or more of those features on/off individually (and hopefully be able to program what the GOAT mode automatically selects based on your preferences).
SuzHansen, Khayze427

Rank V

Oct 29, 2020

I think they also control steering input. One nice thing about it is that you can turn on/off multiple features at once. For example, turn the dial to Rock Crawl, and the sta-bar disconnects, lockers engage, transfer case shifts into 4-lo, and traction control is turned off (or at least into an off-road mode) without having to push 5 or 6 different buttons. I believe you'll also have the option to then turn one or more of those features on/off individually (and hopefully be able to program what the GOAT mode automatically selects based on your preferences).
That's kinda cool. More so convenient. There are already switches for toggling disconnects and lockers, a button for traction control, etc. I guess we will find out how much is a difference it makes when we finally take delivery. I'm wondering if we should leave the goat mode selector alone the first thousand miles for a natural break in period.
SuzHansen

Rank V

Oct 29, 2020

Looks like Sport and Baja are identical, except Sport does it in 2H and 4A, where Baja only does it in 4H. Interesting.
2022 2D, WT, HPR, MIC, 2.7, Auto, Lux - 7/14/20 Res, 1/22/21 Order, 10/14/22 Re-Order, Built 2/19/22, Delivered 3/4/22

Deja vu all over again
SuzHansen, BuzzyBud

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Oct 29, 2020

That's kinda cool. More so convenient. There are already switches for toggling disconnects and lockers, a button for traction control, etc. I guess we will find out how much is a difference it makes when we finally take delivery. I'm wondering if we should leave the goat mode selector alone the first thousand miles for a natural break in period.
I would use it right away. Make sure every thing works.
SuzHansen

Rank V

Oct 30, 2020

I would use it right away. Make sure every thing works.
Some of the stuff you wouldn't want to use on asphalt. I'll have a7hr drive, straight shot on the highway back home, but I'll be taking the lower speed scenic routes back
SuzHansen, Deano Bronc