GMRS Radio and License.

BuzzyBud
Oct 20, 2020

Rank VI

Oct 20, 2020

As I wrap my head around the topic of communication methods between vehicles during off road adventures, an understanding of GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) seemed essential for me.

One of the New England based training organizations which I hope to use has a requirement that all participants have a GMRS radio and license.

With a little help from the internet, I was able to obtain my FCC Registration Number (FRN) and complete the GMRS license application. In ten business days I should receive my license and call sign.

Curious? Seeking a sanity check! How many of our members have a GMRS license and do you use your call sign? It all seems over kill for recreational off-road adventures, but what do I know? If the training center here in New England require all this, then I guess it is important.
Rgwinn, Bronc96
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2020

Rank IV

Oct 20, 2020

I have both my ham license (KN6KSC) and gmrs license (WRJD702).
Yes, you need to identify your call sign during transmission.

§ 95.1751 GMRS station identification.
Each GMRS station must be identified by transmission of its FCC-assigned call sign at the end of transmissions and at periodic intervals during transmissions except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section. A unit number may be included after the call sign in the identification.

(a) The GMRS station call sign must be transmitted:

(1) Following a single transmission or a series of transmissions; and,

(2) After 15 minutes and at least once every 15 minutes thereafter during a series of transmissions lasting more than 15 minutes.

(b) The call sign must be transmitted using voice in the English language or international Morse code telegraphy using an audible tone.

(c) Any GMRS repeater station is not required to transmit station identification if:

(1) It retransmits only communications from GMRS stations operating under authority of the individual license under which it operates; and,

(2) The GMRS stations whose communications are retransmitted are properly identified in accordance with this section.
Bronc96, BuzzyBud

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Oct 20, 2020

As I wrap my head around the topic of communication methods between vehicles during off road adventures, an understanding of GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) seemed essential for me.

One of the New England based training organizations which I hope to use has a requirement that all participants have a GMRS radio and license.

With a little help from the internet, I was able to obtain my FCC Registration Number (FRN) and complete the GMRS license application. In ten business days I should receive my license and call sign.

Curious? Seeking a sanity check! How many of our members have a GMRS license and do you use your call sign? It all seems over kill for recreational off-road adventures, but what do I know? If the training center here in New England require all this, then I guess it is important.
Seems over kill in most of New England, never too far from civlization and impossible to get lost.But other areas it would be necessary.
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Oct 20, 2020

I have both my ham license (KN6KSC) and gmrs license (WRJD702).
Yes, you need to identify your call sign during transmission.

§ 95.1751 GMRS station identification.
Each GMRS station must be identified by transmission of its FCC-assigned call sign at the end of transmissions and at periodic intervals during transmissions except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section. A unit number may be included after the call sign in the identification.

(a) The GMRS station call sign must be transmitted:

(1) Following a single transmission or a series of transmissions; and,

(2) After 15 minutes and at least once every 15 minutes thereafter during a series of transmissions lasting more than 15 minutes.

(b) The call sign must be transmitted using voice in the English language or international Morse code telegraphy using an audible tone.

(c) Any GMRS repeater station is not required to transmit station identification if:

(1) It retransmits only communications from GMRS stations operating under authority of the individual license under which it operates; and,

(2) The GMRS stations whose communications are retransmitted are properly identified in accordance with this section.

Excellent info! Thank you!
In a way, I am impressed how the off-road training center I plan to use next summer makes it mandatory for all students to have both a GMRS radio and license. Seems to me the training will be helpful.
Bronc96, Hobgoblin

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Oct 20, 2020

Excellent info! Thank you!
In a way, I am impressed how the off-road training center I plan to use next summer makes it mandatory for all students to have both a GMRS radio and license. Seems to me the training will be helpful.
Might be fun to get the license.How much are radios? CBs are crazy cheap, but the band is full of nonsense and you won't get anyone if you stuck in the woods. We got stuck once because the dud driving thought a Wagoneer could go where snowmobiles could. My bud and I spent 3 hours digging and pushing the thing 1/4 mile while the idiot behind the wheel said "break 9" the whole time and never got a response.

I'm not going far off-road and going alone so no need for radios.
Getting lost in New England: the standard rule is follow streams down, you will find civilization.
Logging roads, the convergence of forks points out of the woods. Logging roads go in on one road and fork off.
On a mountain, go down until you find a stream or logging road.
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Oct 20, 2020

This thread read my mind. This was on my to do list for research this week.
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
Rgwinn, Bronc96

Rank VI

Oct 20, 2020

This thread read my mind. This was on my to do list for research this week.

It is good stuff, but some days I feel like I am dragging my knuckles in the dirt as I walk. If you do seek a GMRS license the application process is OK, but there is a fee. From what I read, the license is good for ten years.

As I watch YouTube videos on Baja and Utah adventures, they all have radios and talk to one another while traveling as a group. Thought I should get up to speed if that is my trajectory.
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Oct 20, 2020

I'm gathering information too. Just for a backup to cell phone, we have dead spots in cell service even though you are 2 miles from a city.
Bronc96, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Oct 20, 2020

How much are radios?

This week I will initiate a new thread which speaks to the radio I plan to purchase and install on the picatinny rail. Stay tuned for more!
Deano Bronc, Bronc96
SandboxGeneral

Oct 20, 2020

I don't know what, if anything, I'll do for communications yet. I'm really not interested in taking tests, and paying for licences to be able to talk to someone. Don't get me wrong though, I know and understand why those restrictions are there, and I agree with them.

But, I have other means of calling for help if I really need it, as long as I stay in Michigan anyhow.
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Oct 20, 2020

I don't know what, if anything, I'll do for communications yet. I'm really not interested in taking tests, and paying for licences to be able to talk to someone.

Just a point of clarification. Regarding the GMRS license, there was no test. You have to first apply for an FCC Registration Number and then use that number to complete the GMRS license application. It can all be done on-line. The fee can be an issue, but if you plan to use that method of communication between vehicles, that is the price you pay.
Deano Bronc, Bronc96
SandboxGeneral

Oct 20, 2020

Just a point of clarification. Regarding the GMRS license, there was no test. You have to first apply for an FCC Registration Number and then use that number to complete the GMRS license application. It can all be done on-line. The fee can be an issue, but if you plan to use that method of communication between vehicles, that is the price you pay.
Good to know, as I wasn't aware of that! What is the cost for it anyhow?
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Oct 20, 2020

Good to know, as I wasn't aware of that! What is the cost for it anyhow?

Brace yourself! Are you ready? It is $70.00! Ouch!
TorgSurv, Bronc96

Rank V

Oct 20, 2020

I went with GMRS over the other viable options as it meets my needs for a strong clear signal within 25 miles. It has worked great for spotting, communicating with my family while on hikes away from camp, trail comms with other rigs, etc. GMRS does offer repeaters however those are very limited in number compared to HAM. I also have Bivy Stick for satellite comms to text wife/family when I am away and emergency SOS which utilizes Global Rescue.

I think ol' Elon Musk will be blanketing the country in wifi here pretty shortly, whether you like it or not, so you may want to take that into consideration.
Deano Bronc, Bronc96

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Oct 20, 2020

I don't know what, if anything, I'll do for communications yet. I'm really not interested in taking tests, and paying for licences to be able to talk to someone. Don't get me wrong though, I know and understand why those restrictions are there, and I agree with them.

But, I have other means of calling for help if I really need it, as long as I stay in Michigan anyhow.
Same here, I live in a densely populated state. With how the DOT handles roads during the winter, I'm more afraid of getting stuck on a main road than the woods.

I did check out
https://nescitech.org/exam/
BuzzyBud

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Oct 20, 2020

Brace yourself! Are you ready? It is $70.00! Ouch!
Thats more than the radio :ROFLMAO:

I think I'm just going to put a whip antenna on it, no radio , just antenna.
BuzzyBud, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Oct 20, 2020

Is this thread the concept of "repeater channels" has surfaced. It may be helpful to the gentle reader to review the attached article. Enjoy!

https://midlandusa.com/what-are-repeater-channels/

Rank VI

Oct 20, 2020

Great info BuzzyBud! Checking this out now...
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Oct 21, 2020

It's official! Received my GMRS license via email this morning. Have my call sign as well. Nice!
rrudder, TorgSurv

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Oct 21, 2020

My call sign on the company radios is Bandit
BuzzyBud