Poor ride quality after upgrading tires and wheels?

Chris029
Jul 19, 2022

Rank II

Jul 19, 2022

I recently got my 2022 Bronco Big Bend and decided to upgrade the tires and wheels. I expressed to the outfitter that I most likely wouldn't be taking my Bronco off road any time soon and was looking to keep the same ride quality it has on pavement but upgrade the look. It was suggested that I stay with 17" wheels and change the tires to 33" from the 32" OEM Bridgestone Duelers. I went with the Fuel Covert D694 wheels and 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grappler tires. After getting the upgrade, my Bronco looked fantastic but the ride quality really changed and became rough with vibrations that I wasn't feeling with the standard equipment. The outfitter rebalanced the wheels which didn't make a difference. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.20220712_115354.jpg20220712_090239.jpg
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2022

Rank VI

Jul 19, 2022

See my signature for response. ;)

Though to be honest, the wife's Jeep has Ridge Grapplers on it and I can't say the on road ride is any worse than the Goodyears it replaced. By you saying rough vibrations I'd go with a bad tire or bad balancing or even mud in the wheels (but you said pavement driving). And you say they were re-balanced. Do you happen to know if they needed a ton of weights on one of the wheels? Could be a funky wheel too I suppose. I'm just shooting from the hip here.
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.
SuperMike, Chris029

Rank VI

Jul 19, 2022

What's your tire pressure? If I had to guess, your pressure is pretty high? You would be surprised what tire pressure does, especially on oversized tires
Member # 5650 / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
KennyCJR, Calgecko

Expensive Taste

Jul 19, 2022

What's your tire pressure? If I had to guess, your pressure is pretty high? You would be surprised what tire pressure does, especially on oversized tires
That was my initial thought. Check the tire pressure.
Calgecko, PSUTE

Rank VI

Jul 19, 2022

First of all, looks sweet!
Any lift/leveling done?
It looks like wheel offset has changed (more poke).

May be worth getting alignment if wheel balance and tire pressure is confirmed…
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top

Rank V

Jul 19, 2022

You went with 10 ply tires. They are much stiffer than a regular “T” rated tire
Nminus1, Calgecko

Rank VI

Jul 19, 2022

That’s a HD truck tire, lower pressure will help, but between the tread design (louder and more vibration) and the heavier carcass, that would be completely normal. Btw, it’s probably way heavier and harder for the shocks and springs to control).
KennyCJR, Nminus1

Anxiously waiting for Super Cel

Jul 19, 2022

I recently got my 2022 Bronco Big Bend and decided to upgrade the tires and wheels. I expressed to the outfitter that I most likely wouldn't be taking my Bronco off road any time soon and was looking to keep the same ride quality it has on pavement but upgrade the look. It was suggested that I stay with 17" wheels and change the tires to 33" from the 32" OEM Bridgestone Duelers. I went with the Fuel Covert D694 wheels and 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grappler tires. After getting the upgrade, my Bronco looked fantastic but the ride quality really changed and became rough with vibrations that I wasn't feeling with the standard equipment. The outfitter rebalanced the wheels which didn't make a difference. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.View attachment 40157View attachment 40158
Your OEM tire was 255/75R17 115T.
This is considered a touring tire suitable for suvs. You're tire weight was only 35lbs.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+A/T+RH-SThe tire you installed is considerably heavier. You need to get the full specs on the tire. If they put a load range E tire on there it will be a LOT stiffer and heavier with a max psi of 80, which is designed for a heavy pickup.
You may need to play with the psi to get the right balance.
But you went with a bigger beefier tire, there is a tradeoff.
Black Diamond/4-door/mid pkg/2.7/MIC/rack/towing/Eruption Green/res 7.13.20/ord 2.8.21, then 10.15.21/built 1.21.22/delivered 4.15.22
Gunstock Off-Roadeo 10/29/22/Steel and Stirrups Traveling Lamp holder 9.23
Gaia GPS
KennyCJR, Nminus1

Rank V

Jul 19, 2022

I put these tires on my Big Bend. Didn’t really notice any difference in the ride quality. That included a 2.25 inch lift kit

Attachments

Chief1301, Chris029

Jul 19, 2022

I put these tires on my Big Bend. Didn’t really notice any difference in the ride quality. That included a 2.25 inch lift kit
Yup, those are P tires, not the LTs.
Black Diamond/4-door/mid pkg/2.7/MIC/rack/towing/Eruption Green/res 7.13.20/ord 2.8.21, then 10.15.21/built 1.21.22/delivered 4.15.22
Gaia GPS
ChickasawNDN, IL21Bronco

Rank V

Jul 19, 2022

That’s a HD truck tire, lower pressure will help, but between the tread design (louder and more vibration) and the heavier carcass, that would be completely normal. Btw, it’s probably way heavier and harder for the shocks and springs to control).

Wow, I've never really given a lot of thought to the thickness in addition to the tread design. Ya learn something new every day.
2Dr Badlands, manual, 322A, Iconic Silver, baby seal leather seat covers, reserved 2-24-22, stickered/blend date 9/30/22
Big Papa, Chris029

Jul 19, 2022

Wow, I've never really given a lot of thought to the thickness in addition to the tread design. Ya learn something new every day.
Always review weight, tread depth, load range, etc.
Sorry, I'm a tire nerd. I was in the biz for several years.
Gaia GPS
ChickasawNDN, Chief1301

Burrito Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2022

Yeah it all adds up... that's why the Goodyear Territories that come stock with the Sasquatch package are relatively thin, light, and squishy compared to most tires of that size. Their tread design is also why many people say those tires are not mud-terrain tires even though they are often marketed as such. (Although Goodyear themselves claims that M/T stands for "maximum traction", not "mud terrain".)

Father is (was, now retired) a Ford engineer, worked most of his career as a facilitates engineer, so he designed many of the test tracks they use for vehicle testing. I made the mistake of asking him about tires one day... I was not prepared for the onslaught of information. Way more goes into it than I had originally thought.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
ZWSMITH, KennyCJR

Jul 19, 2022

Yeah it all adds up... that's why the Goodyear Territories that come stock with the Sasquatch package are relatively thin, light, and squishy compared to most tires of that size. Their tread design is also why many people say those tires are not mud-terrain tires even though they are often marketed as such. (Although Goodyear themselves claims that M/T stands for "maximum traction", not "mud terrain".)

Father is (was, now retired) a Ford engineer, worked most of his career as a facilitates engineer, so he designed many of the test tracks they use for vehicle testing. I made the mistake of asking him about tires one day... I was not prepared for the onslaught of information. Way more goes into it than I had originally thought.
Yeah. I totally get it.
I used to get stuck with diagnosing ride and vibration problems.
Gaia GPS
Chris029

Rank II

Jul 19, 2022

Thanks, So what would you suggest for tires in my situation and would new wheels affect the ride? suggestion on what I should be looking for?
Ditchrunner

Rank II

Jul 19, 2022

See my signature for response. ;)

Though to be honest, the wife's Jeep has Ridge Grapplers on it and I can't say the on road ride is any worse than the Goodyears it replaced. By you saying rough vibrations I'd go with a bad tire or bad balancing or even mud in the wheels (but you said pavement driving). And you say they were re-balanced. Do you happen to know if they needed a ton of weights on one of the wheels? Could be a funky wheel too I suppose. I'm just shooting from the hip here.
Im not sure about any added weights.

Rank IV

Jul 19, 2022

The LT tires are definitely stiffer, but they are also much heavier. The wheels look like they might be heavier than the stock wheels also. Unsprung weight, that is, any weight not supported by the springs, is a really big contributor to ride quality. The more unsprung weight compared to the sprung weight, the rougher the ride. Lower tire pressure might help a little, but it won't ride as good as stock if the wheel/tire combination is heavier.
ChickasawNDN, Chief1301

Rank VI

Jul 19, 2022

Look for lower load ratings and lighter/less plus. Load Range C will generally be lighter than D and way lighter and more compliant than E. LT can be confusing too, as they have split ratings for dual tire use. There is usually some crossover in load rating and inflation where a higher rated tire, with lower pressures, will have a similar weight rating as well. Unless the load rating and resistance to punctures (desert running, rocks) are important in your use case, running the lightest tire, with the lowest rating that supports your vehicle and load, will produce the best ride and handling (all other things being equal). There are 4 selections for just the one model BFG KO2 285/75/17.
1658263866145.png
ChickasawNDN, Chief1301

Jul 19, 2022

Thanks, So what would you suggest for tires in my situation and would new wheels affect the ride? suggestion on what I should be looking for?
There are always things to consider when it comes to ride, gas mileage, etc.
Factors that affect ride and mileage: combined tire and wheel assembly weight, tire pressure, tire construction (an LT-tire vs a P-tire, and load range), and rolling resistance. Rolling resistance is a combination of tread design and psi, the more round the tire and smoother the tread the smoother the ride and better mileage.
As far as weight, the best example I can give is straight from Ford on my Black Diamond. I opted for the upgrade alloy rims instead of the steelies and the sticker mileage is better. needless to say, if you add a bigger tire, you add weight. More weight and the engine works harder to turn that wheel.

When it comes to ride, the tire assembly weight may not affect it. But the load range, psi, and tread design will. A mud tire will always ride rougher and louder due to harmonic resonance (which is the noise of each lug of the tread hitting the pavement and making the same sound which gets louder the faster you go). Likewise, a tire with a lower pressure will act as a shock absorber, whereas a tire with max pressure makes the balloon rounder and stiffer, thus inhibiting shock absorption, but easier to roll. Load range definitely affects weight and stiffness. If you put a load range E tire on (we used to call them 10-ply tires), you will get a super durable tire with a tough sidewall, but it will ride like a tank.

There's always a happy medium finding the right pressure for increased tire wear and mileage, while not giving up ride.

The next considerations are all computer related. When you increase the dimensions of the tire you MUST calibrate the system to accurately reflect speed, antilock braking, and any collision protection or cameras. In the old days you could throw on some new big mudders, calculate the difference in revolutions per mile and guess what your speed was. Not any more.

In other words a reputable shop can help guide you. An improper setup can produce adverse effects in braking, mileage, wear and tear on the vehicle, and EXPENSE.

My BD has 32" (kinda) tires, and I will go up a size to match the Badlands and not go crazy. Find a good shop, use these forums, and have fun.
Gaia GPS
Arrmjr, ChickasawNDN

Rank 0

Aug 05, 2022

Can you post a picture of your Bronco with the wheels and lift? I would like to raise mine up just a bit, and beef up the wheels slightly, while maintaining the ride.