Gen 2 Bronco Memory

Soupcook
Apr 14, 2021

Rank VI

Apr 14, 2021

A good friend of mine in the Air Force is Cliff. He bought a brand new Gen 2 Bronco...bare bones. He didn't even have A/C...and we were in Biloxi, MS. Bucket seats in front and bench in the back. That thing was a beast. He was always trying to improve it at home. One thing he built was a console to install between the bucket seats with plywood. He did it and although it wasn't at cabinet finish grade, something about the torched and sanded and then varnished finish appealed to me. I enjoyed riding with him...you knew you were a beast and the other vehicles would get out of the way.
7/14: Outer Banks, Eruption Green, Lux Package, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Roof Rack, Towing Package, HD Modular front bumper, AUX switches
Lvspark, TorgSurv
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2021

Moab or bust!!!

Apr 14, 2021

A good friend of mine in the Air Force is Cliff. He bought a brand new Gen 2 Bronco...bare bones. He didn't even have A/C...and we were in Biloxi, MS. Bucket seats in front and bench in the back. That thing was a beast. He was always trying to improve it at home. One thing he built was a console to install between the bucket seats with plywood. He did it and although it wasn't at cabinet finish grade, something about the torched and sanded and then varnished finish appealed to me. I enjoyed riding with him...you knew you were a beast and the other vehicles would get out of the way.
I know most of us are candy asses now but I can't imagine driving it anywhere in Mississippi in the summer time without A/C. Dang that would be a sweaty mess.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
14U, Soupcook

Rank VI

Apr 14, 2021

I know most of us are candy asses now but I can't imagine driving it anywhere in Mississippi in the summer time without A/C. Dang that would be a sweaty mess.
I did the same...I bought a new 1980 Tacoma without A/C in Warner-Robbins, GA and then moved to Biloxi, MS...that wasn't unusual then. I guess being in my early 20's then made it easier. You certainly didn't see many dads sitting in their cars at the grocery store, etc.
7/14: Outer Banks, Eruption Green, Lux Package, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Roof Rack, Towing Package, HD Modular front bumper, AUX switches
Deano Bronc

Home, home on the range

Apr 14, 2021

I remember being young and had an 83 Olds Firenza with no A/C. Drove it to see family in Arkansas in late July. It was so hot the asphalt in the parking lots would have dips from tires and shoe prints from people walking in and out of the stores. Being from the North I'd never seen anything like it.
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
Deano Bronc, Soupcook

Rank VI

Apr 14, 2021

I remember being young and had an 83 Olds Firenza with no A/C. Drove it to see family in Arkansas in late July. It was so hot the asphalt in the parking lots would have dips from tires and shoe prints from people walking in and out of the stores. Being from the North I'd never seen anything like it.
I bought a beat-up 1969 International Harvester pick-up back in 1976 in Biloxi, MS. When I changed the plugs, I found 4 different types/lengths plugs in it. There were holes in the floorboards and you could see the highway as you were driving. (That was what I could afford on a $550/mo salary from the Air Force.) When it was time for me to go from tech school to my first assignment in England, I drove that truck, in August, from Biloxi to Richmond, KY with my wife, our 4-week old son and my sister. No car seat and only lap belts for the tree adults. It rained on part of the 700+ mile drive and we put our feet over the holes in the floor to keep the water spray out. And you know we look back on that fondly...go figure.
TorgSurv, gibsBRonCO

Rank VI

Apr 15, 2021

Just drove the kids down to Florida for spring break. It was about 350 miles one way. I have a new AC in the 1996 Bronco but you know what ….. I hardly ever turn it on. That is what the windows are for. I only use the AC on vehicles I do not plan on keeping around forever. Broncos where made for open air cruising. When it gets hot … I just take the top off … when it gets cold I put the top back on. I don't even have a soft top … I keep a spare rain fly (from an old tent) that I will put on if it looks like rain while parked. If it rains while driving you just "man up" …. motorcycle riders do this all the time.

Got to do some wheeling on the St Augustine beach.... in the sugar sand. She did great didn't even spin a tire …. worth the trip.

The outback with AWD didn't do as well …. you still need to actually know what your doing … to not get stuck.

I saw a new Bronco Sport on the beach ….. I also saw a new 4x4 ranger … No comment on which one I liked more.

Attachments

Lvspark, TorgSurv

Rank VI

Apr 15, 2021

Just drove the kids down to Florida for spring break. It was about 350 miles one way. I have a new AC in the 1996 Bronco but you know what ….. I hardly ever turn it on. That is what the windows are for. I only use the AC on vehicles I do not plan on keeping around forever. Broncos where made for open air cruising. When it gets hot … I just take the top off … when it gets cold I put the top back on. I don't even have a soft top … I keep a spare rain fly (from an old tent) that I will put on if it looks like rain while parked. If it rains while driving you just "man up" …. motorcycle riders do this all the time.

Got to do some wheeling on the St Augustine beach.... in the sugar sand. She did great didn't even spin a tire …. worth the trip.

The outback with AWD didn't do as well …. you still need to actually know what your doing … to not get stuck.

I saw a new Bronco Sport on the beach ….. I also saw a new 4x4 ranger … No comment on which one I liked more.
Nice rig! Bet it sounds nice, too.

When I lived in California, I left my soft top on my CJ7 off from May-October. But, when rainy season started, I put it on. The dash was not waterproof and I used my Jeep as a daily driver to work.
Sdakotabronco, TorgSurv