GAIA GPS software

BuzzyBud
Nov 30, 2020

Rank VI

Nov 30, 2020

I am planning to learn about GAIA GPS. I will use this product as my primary off-road trip planning software. @David might be able to aid us in understanding how the Bronco software will function for both navigation and trip logging. I assume we may have access to more than just Apple Car Play. With the Lux package, I will have access to the Bronco Connected Built-In Navigation and do not understand if and how that might work with GAIA GPS.

I started by obtaining an annual premium membership to GAIA GPS, loaded the system onto my PC using Google Play and on my iPhone via the app store. Ordered a copy of “Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails, 4th Edition” by Charles A. Wells. Goal #1 will be to craft adventure travel in Area 1. (Ouray, Silverton, Lake City, Telluride)

Identified the YouTube GAIA GPS Playlist of 7 videos for beginners. Thought this would be a great place to start and will focus on iOS videos in the playlist.

Are any other members of BN using or planning to use GAIA GPS? For those with prior knowledge, did you find a preferred YouTube instructional video? Any other comments/ideas?
SuzHansen, D190065
Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2020

Rank VI

Nov 30, 2020

The following link is courtesy of BroncoKong, Jr from North Carolina. Big Thank you!

The 2021 Ford Bronco’s Off-Road Trail Map Navigation System Will Leave Jeepers Jealous (motortrend.com)
SuzHansen, D190065

Rank VI

Nov 30, 2020

I especially liked reading the following paragraph in the Motor Trend article in the link above.

"Moreover, we know the system will allow for the upload of GPS data files created by common navigation programs, like the .GPX files that many popular devices from Garmin, Nüvi, and apps like Gaia use. That means you aren't locked into using a Ford interface to create GPS routes, although you certainly can. Being able to upload a GPS file means that you can also share it with others coming along for your journey, so you're all using the same track, regardless of which trail nav system they're running."

@David Think about the possibilities for taking our Round-Up adventures to a whole new level. The article is dated July 2020. Is more info available? The article states that the system is available on the 2021 F150. If so, do we have a link to the user manual? All good stuff!!
D190065, Bronc96

Rank VI

Nov 30, 2020

Great info Buzzy, thanks for sharing! This was one of the cool features for the new Bronc that caught my attention, however, have not dug into it yet. I am still trying to make the decision on my build! o_O
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Nov 30, 2020

I especially liked reading the following paragraph in the Motor Trend article in the link above.

"Moreover, we know the system will allow for the upload of GPS data files created by common navigation programs, like the .GPX files that many popular devices from Garmin, Nüvi, and apps like Gaia use. That means you aren't locked into using a Ford interface to create GPS routes, although you certainly can. Being able to upload a GPS file means that you can also share it with others coming along for your journey, so you're all using the same track, regardless of which trail nav system they're running."

@David Think about the possibilities for taking our Round-Up adventures to a whole new level. The article is dated July 2020. Is more info available? The article states that the system is available on the 2021 F150. If so, do we have a link to the user manual? All good stuff!!

We haven't done much reporting on NAV software, not because it isn't interesting and exciting but because it deals with software and software can change pretty quickly. Sync 4 features over-the-air updates which could mean that these systems aren't completely set until they are in your driveway. Even after delivery, the system will theoretically be able to receive updates from Ford outside of dealerships. This is a very cool technology that opens up a world of awesome possibilities but makes ongoing reporting on it for an enthusiast community is somewhat difficult.

In the enthusiast space, people remember when you were wrong (*Cough! Build and Price Reference Guide. *Cough) and examine pretty minute details (*Sneeze! Rear Seat Cup Holders!) so we're learning to be a bit more careful and deliberate about what we contribute to the conversation in the greater Bronco community. We look for helpful and practical content that we can be confident in. Child seats in the back of Broncos is a good example of that but also the Bronco How To series on YouTube. We do have some technical dives in the works but they come pretty slowly because getting them wrong is really bad and they have to be checked pretty thoroughly or be drawn from really solid information.

So, we could write an article like MT's but it wouldn't go any deeper, would say pretty much say the same thing, and they already did a great job writing it. Thanks for linking the helpful information!
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
SuzHansen, D190065

Rank VI

Dec 01, 2020

We haven't done much reporting on NAV software, not because it isn't interesting and exciting but because it deals with software and software can change pretty quickly. Sync 4 features over-the-air updates which could mean that these systems aren't completely set until they are in your driveway. Even after delivery, the system will theoretically be able to receive updates from Ford outside of dealerships. This is a very cool technology that opens up a world of awesome possibilities but makes ongoing reporting on it for an enthusiast community is somewhat difficult.

In the enthusiast space, people remember when you were wrong (*Cough! Build and Price Reference Guide. *Cough) and examine pretty minute details (*Sneeze! Rear Seat Cup Holders!) so we're learning to be a bit more careful and deliberate about what we contribute to the conversation in the greater Bronco community. We look for helpful and practical content that we can be confident in. Child seats in the back of Broncos is a good example of that but also the Bronco How To series on YouTube. We do have some technical dives in the works but they come pretty slowly because getting them wrong is really bad and they have to be checked pretty thoroughly or be drawn from really solid information.

So, we could write an article like MT's but it wouldn't go any deeper, would say pretty much say the same thing, and they already did a great job writing it. Thanks for linking the helpful information!

@David, fair enough. I understand completely! I, on the other hand, will continue to dig deeper into whatever I can find on this topic of an external .GPX file into the Bronco Trail Maps software. Feel free to jump in at any time.

A further web search on how GAIA files can integrate into the Bronco Trail Maps yielded additional points.
  • I believe to obtain the Trail Maps software you need to be running Sync 4. Bronco Sport is running Sync 3 so no go for the Sport.
  • Although the Trail Maps system will be available on the 2021 F150, a review of the online user manual gave no additional information.
  • It is my assumption you will need to have the option of Connected Navigation or Connected Built-In Navigation. Not sure the difference other than subscription cost.
The concept of integration of an external (GAIA) .GPX file into the Bronco Trail Maps software is HUGH! The jeep community will be green with envy!
D190065, Bronc96

Rank VI

Dec 01, 2020

@David, fair enough. I understand completely! I, on the other hand, will continue to dig deeper into whatever I can find on this topic of an external .GPX file into the Bronco Trail Maps software. Feel free to jump in at any time.

A further web search on how GAIA files can integrate into the Bronco Trail Maps yielded additional points.
  • I believe to obtain the Trail Maps software you need to be running Sync 4. Bronco Sport is running Sync 3 so no go for the Sport.
  • Although the Trail Maps system will be available on the 2021 F150, a review of the online user manual gave no additional information.
  • It is my assumption you will need to have the option of Connected Navigation or Connected Built-In Navigation. Not sure the difference other than subscription cost.
The concept of integration of an external (GAIA) .GPX file into the Bronco Trail Maps software is HUGH! The jeep community will be green with envy!
So Buzzy, we are thinking you can get the Trail Maps feature with both the Connected and/or the Connected Built In Navi? That would be cool for those who are only going with the Mid Pkg.
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Dec 01, 2020

So Buzzy, we are thinking you can get the Trail Maps feature with both the Connected and/or the Connected Built In Navi? That would be cool for those who are only going with the Mid Pkg.

Let's not assume it is available with both until we get official confirmation from Ford. For those who seek the Trial Maps software, this will be an important point that needs official clarification. @David is this a question for you? Thank you!
Bronc96

Rank VI

Dec 01, 2020

@David Think about the possibilities for taking our Round-Up adventures to a whole new level.
This is one of the primary things that drove us to include .gpx upload in the initial feature set for Round-Ups.
SuzHansen, D190065

Rank VI

Dec 01, 2020

This is one of the primary things that drove us to include .gpx upload in the initial feature set for Round-Ups.
Exactly! But let's take it a step further.
In preparation for a Round-Up, a member will build a trail map in a trip planning software system, such as GAIA, which can export a .GPX file to the BN system. Now rather than carry a portable device, such as an Apple Mini, you simply use a flash drive to import the file to the Bronco Trail Maps software, and away you go. For the Round-Up member who is not running Trail Maps, he/she will need to bring a portable device that is cellular-enabled so it has GPS. Cumbersome at best! This vision will need verification, but I think it is correct.
SuzHansen, D190065

Rank VI

Dec 01, 2020

For those who seek the Trial Maps software, this will be an important point that needs official clarification.
On the face of it, the Ford site says that Off-Road Nav is run through the FordPass Performance App. The question is, what gives you access to the FordPass Performance App? We'll look into it.
D190065, Buckin'

Rank VI

Dec 01, 2020

On the face of it, the Ford site says that Off-Road Nav is run through the FordPass Performance App. The question is, what gives you access to the FordPass Performance App? We'll look into it.

@David As I attempted to engage in a deep dive on the concept of “Connected Navigation” versus “Connected Built-In Navigation”, I found scant documentation within Ford. Since we know Ford has an established relationship with Telenav, I expanded my search to the Telenav website. That is where I found a wealth of information.

Telenav has been a leader in navigation software in vehicles for several years. They have also expanded their advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) with collaborative relationships. Examples of ADAS include Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assistance, Autonomous Emergency Braking, etc. An example of a recent collaborative relationship involves working with Amazon to make Alexa Voice-First Navigation. Alexa integration is where it becomes interesting.

In a January 6, 2020 publication, Telenav states; “The enhancements to onboard Alexa integration to work with navigation, even when offline, will delight users and change the consumer perception of built-in navigation systems,” said Roger C. Lanctot, director of mobility research for Strategy Analytics. “Telenav is leveraging Alexa to revolutionize this application space.”

Although it is an assumption on my part, I believe the term, “Connected Built-in Navigation" may refer to additional components from the suite of Telenav products. Although I could not find “Trail Maps” specific documentation, the Alexa integration could be the key to Trail Maps. I arrived at that conclusion based on the following comments in the January 6 publication.

"Features enabled by this Alexa integration include the following tasks that are always an “Alexa” interaction away:
Map Interaction – Zoom-in or zoom-out on the map
Add a WayPoint – Add a stop to their current route
Turn and Lane Guidance – What is my next turn?
Navigate to the Previous Destination – Go to their previous destination
Navigate to User Favorites – Drive to kid’s school
Search Near a Destination – Find businesses or things of interest nearby
Search Along the Way – Find points of interest along the route in-progress"

When it comes to understanding the FordPass Performance App and how Telenav fits into that piece of the puzzle, an understanding of the Telenav Location-Based Services (Telenav LBS SDK) in the link below may be helpful.
Connected Car Platform | Telenav

As a side note, I found the video in the attached link to be fascinating. As you mentioned, ADAS will be constantly changing, and having real-time system updates will be helpful.
In-Car Commerce | Telenav
D190065, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Dec 01, 2020

Buzzy: I hope we can connect when you visit Western Colorado. You can show me how Navigation works. I can show you roads & routes not in Well's Book.
Also check the Nucla-Naturita Chamber of Commerce Web Site for info on their annual of pavement tour in the area near the Utah state line. Same Red Rocks scenery, topography & geology as Moab without the crowd.
Really looking forward to next summer.
thanks.
BuzzyBud

Rank V

Dec 01, 2020

I am planning to learn about GAIA GPS. I will use this product as my primary off-road trip planning software. @David might be able to aid us in understanding how the Bronco software will function for both navigation and trip logging. I assume we may have access to more than just Apple Car Play. With the Lux package, I will have access to the Bronco Connected Built-In Navigation and do not understand if and how that might work with GAIA GPS.

I started by obtaining an annual premium membership to GAIA GPS, loaded the system onto my PC using Google Play and on my iPhone via the app store. Ordered a copy of “Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails, 4th Edition” by Charles A. Wells. Goal #1 will be to craft adventure travel in Area 1. (Ouray, Silverton, Lake City, Telluride)

Identified the YouTube GAIA GPS Playlist of 7 videos for beginners. Thought this would be a great place to start and will focus on iOS videos in the playlist.

Are any other members of BN using or planning to use GAIA GPS? For those with prior knowledge, did you find a preferred YouTube instructional video? Any other comments/ideas?

To specifically answer your question, yes I have used (and still use) GAIA for the past few years. It is the preferred tool by most people on iOS. The value it brings is the ability to do all of your route planning on your home computer and it automatically synchs up to your iphone/ipad. This is a huge benefit when you spend hours trying to map out a route. It is also easy to import tracks provided by others. My group of friends use this a lot to share great spots and routes. You will also find that there are a lot of YouTubers who go on the same trip you want to go on and they will provide you their tracks if you pay them a small fee.

I have not viewed any of the GAIA videos you mentioned so I cannot recommend but any info is always better than none.

Maps/Layer
Understanding the best map overlays is probably the hardest part of the program. It took us a while to get into a good workflow between the USFS 2016, USFS Recreation and Satellite layers to map out our routes. The Snow Layer map is also helpful in Fall/Spring to give you a good guestimate of snow on your route and the fire map has also been interesting. Nothing is perfect but it gives a good idea. I also hear the Backroads Canada layer is great but have not used it.

Synching
Make certain to download your maps and route to your phone. I made the mistake early on of not doing that and once I lost cell service my route I planned out was useless.

Bronco integration
I suspect GAIA will be an available app download on the Bronco due to its popularity in the overlanding/camping community. If not then I will continue to use it along with my iPad. I would think the Bronco Sport will have the same features so maybe when those get into showrooms this month someone will provide more detail.

Happy to answer any follow up questions you may have.
D190065, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Dec 01, 2020

I appreciate you digging into this. We will def take this as a point of interest and get back with you when we are able to. In the meantime, lets continue the conversation.
Bronco Nation Member #0000
Instagram: bdawson24
nic, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Dec 01, 2020

To specifically answer your question, yes I have used (and still use) GAIA for the past few years. It is the preferred tool by most people on iOS. The value it brings is the ability to do all of your route planning on your home computer and it automatically synchs up to your iphone/ipad. This is a huge benefit when you spend hours trying to map out a route. It is also easy to import tracks provided by others. My group of friends use this a lot to share great spots and routes. You will also find that there are a lot of YouTubers who go on the same trip you want to go on and they will provide you their tracks if you pay them a small fee.

I have not viewed any of the GAIA videos you mentioned so I cannot recommend but any info is always better than none.

Maps/Layer
Understanding the best map overlays is probably the hardest part of the program. It took us a while to get into a good workflow between the USFS 2016, USFS Recreation and Satellite layers to map out our routes. The Snow Layer map is also helpful in Fall/Spring to give you a good guestimate of snow on your route and the fire map has also been interesting. Nothing is perfect but it gives a good idea. I also hear the Backroads Canada layer is great but have not used it.

Synching
Make certain to download your maps and route to your phone. I made the mistake early on of not doing that and once I lost cell service my route I planned out was useless.

Bronco integration
I suspect GAIA will be an available app download on the Bronco due to its popularity in the overlanding/camping community. If not then I will continue to use it along with my iPad. I would think the Bronco Sport will have the same features so maybe when those get into showrooms this month someone will provide more detail.

Happy to answer any follow up questions you may have.

First off, thank you for your kind offer to help me. I am just beginning my journey and expect I will be seeking your help.

On the issue of seeing the “Trail Maps” function on Bronco Sport, that may not happen. I believe “Trail Maps” will only work on Sync 4 and Bronco Sport is running Sync 3.

Yes, I am excited to learn about GAIA GPS and working with a .gpx file. As I construct a trail map, @David may let me test out the upload to the Round-Up function so we can look at it and critique the first draft. Multiple eyes on a piece of work are always better at improving the process.

I am equally excited about Bronco technology. With “Trail Maps” I hope I will be able to import my GAIA-created .gpx file and thereby eliminate the need to run an iPad mini. In fact, if Sync 4 with Connected Navigation has the functions I read about on the Telenav website, my iPhone with cellular GPS will be redundant. Good as a backup, but not needed to power the “Trail Maps” function.

Over the next few months, we may learn more about the Sync 4 Connected Built-In Navigation. I suspect that will take the Bronco technology to a whole new level. If I were to hazard a guess, I suspect the system will enable the Alexa technology with full integration to nav, phone, climate, audio, e-commerce. My home in New Hampshire is immersed in the Google ecosystem with full automation. If Bronco does utilize the Amazon system, it should be equally amazing.

In the meantime, I will dive into the GAIA GPS application and prepare for the day my work will be displayed on my 12” Bronco screen.
Deano Bronc, D190065

Rank V

Dec 01, 2020

I'm a Garmin guy personally. But hopefully, whatever system Ford decides to go with is iPhone compatible and user friendly. @BuzzyBud Thanks for your research.
~Danno
Bronco Nation# 212
First Edition, 2-Dr, Lightning Blue, Blk Seats, Tow Package (Res: 7/13)
BuzzyBud, bdawson24

Rank VI

Dec 01, 2020

I appreciate you digging into this. We will def take this as a point of interest and get back with you when we are able to. In the meantime, lets continue the conversation.

Thank you! In an effort to continue the conversation, I contributed a question to the Weekly Q&A list begun by @David. I know many potential Bronco owners will purchase the Base model which comes with Sync 4 and Ford Connect. They may also wish to run "Trail Maps" while part of a group activity. Therefore, I tried to construct the question so we could understand which package(s) enable "Trail Maps".

(See copy of the question below.)
I am excited about the possibility of using the “Trail Maps” feature in my Bronco. I understand it will require Sync 4. As I prepare to place my order, should I order the Standard, Mid, High, or Lux package to enable that feature?
bdawson24, D190065

Rank VI

Dec 01, 2020

Thank you! In an effort to continue the conversation, I contributed a question to the Weekly Q&A list begun by @David. I know many potential Bronco owners will purchase the Base model which comes with Sync 4 and Ford Connect. They may also wish to run "Trail Maps" while part of a group activity. Therefore, I tried to construct the question so we could understand which package(s) enable "Trail Maps".

(See copy of the question below.)
I am excited about the possibility of using the “Trail Maps” feature in my Bronco. I understand it will require Sync 4. As I prepare to place my order, should I order the Standard, Mid, High, or Lux package to enable that feature?
Thanks for the clarification. I know @David will work hard to get the best answer. Stay tuned.
Bronco Nation Member #0000
Instagram: bdawson24
BuzzyBud

Rank V

Dec 01, 2020

So somewhere in the early days (July) they (Ford) were talking about a few map programs the Bronco will be linked to. I think there was a link in one of the older forums. But I seem to remember Ford was going to link to the following.... https://www.trailsoffroad.com/; https://funtreks.com/; and another that was primarily used for Emergency Responders/management (snow plows/towing/etc?). Trails off-road offers both a free version and subscription (for more detailed maps). I think I read Ford was going to offer a subscription version with the Bronco, so I only signed up for the free version for now.
~Danno
Bronco Nation# 212
First Edition, 2-Dr, Lightning Blue, Blk Seats, Tow Package (Res: 7/13)
nic, Deano Bronc