Fuel type?

katsess
Jul 14, 2020

Rank V

Jul 14, 2020

Anyone else notice it says the new Bronco will take regular unleaded fuel? I thought all EcoBoost engines took 91 octane or higher so I'm baffled.
1594737771356.png
-Ridin' dirty (as in mud)
Bronco_Soup, Michael Grasso
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2020

Rank VI

Jul 14, 2020

Best that I could find... "Use High Octane – For those who are unaware, the 2.7 Ecoboost requires 87 octane fuel, but the owners manual suggests premium fuel for severe duty usage such as trailer towing." This is talking about the F150.
Bronco Nation 278
IndianaBroncos on Facebook​
katsess

Rank V

Jul 14, 2020

Interesting . . . I wonder if that will get updated when they publish the rest of the specs? Good eye!
Reserved 7/14/20 - Ordered Converted 1/19/21: 2 Dr Cyber Orange Badlands w/ 2.3L, 7MT, MGV, High, Tow
Tentative Build Date - Week of 11/15/21
Toys: 1971 FJ40 - 1989 Toyota Pickup - 1998 C5 vert
katsess

Rank III

Jul 14, 2020

@katsess Nice catch...I was wondering about that since the engine has a twin turbo.

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jul 14, 2020

Put the cheapest "gas" in it,if it pings go up a grade until it doesn't.
Bronco_Soup

Rank VI

Jul 14, 2020

I had an Ecoboost in my 2015 F-150, and it could take any unleaded fuel option, BUT "premium" high-octane fuel was recommended. The difference was actually pretty noticeable between 3-5 mpg for in-town stop and go driving. So, I tended to fill up with premium. When the cost got a little crazy, I would use standard grade and just add an STP octane booster to the tank. I do something similar with my 78 Vette, but I run it with premium AND an STP octane booster.

Rank 0

Jul 14, 2020

My 2016 F150 3.5EB only gets 93. The wife runs whatever in her 2019 Expedition. I'll probably stick to 93 in the Bronco but I will miss the 36 gallon tank for the long trips!

Rank VI

Jul 14, 2020

My 2016 F150 3.5EB only gets 93. The wife runs whatever in her 2019 Expedition. I'll probably stick to 93 in the Bronco but I will miss the 36 gallon tank for the long trips!

I really doubt that we will see it, but I would LOVE to see a larger fuel tank as an option in the new Bronco. I loved have that extended tank in my 2015 F-150. When combined with the lackluster fuel efficiency, the tank in my 4-Door Wrangler was almost embarrassingly small.

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Jul 14, 2020

I bought a 2019 Fx4 Ranger in February. I ran it on 87 up till 2 months ago. Thought about doing the ford factory tune to it, but decided to run premium for a while first. HOLY SHIT did that wake up the truck! I have no desire to run a factory tune now, and the fuel economy has gone up (slightly) ill keep running premium for now!

L.R.
BigDaddyChops78

Rank VI

Jul 14, 2020

I’ll be running Premium in the Bronco too. I got spoiled to the performance boost of the Ultra Octane (like Shell Nitro-V) that they sold in Europe. It’s noticeable in the feel and response of the engines.

Rank VI

Jul 15, 2020

I had an Ecoboost in my 2015 F-150, and it could take any unleaded fuel option, BUT "premium" high-octane fuel was recommended. The difference was actually pretty noticeable between 3-5 mpg for in-town stop and go driving. So, I tended to fill up with premium. When the cost got a little crazy, I would use standard grade and just add an STP octane booster to the tank. I do something similar with my 78 Vette, but I run it with premium AND an STP octane booster.
I do the same. My FX4 is short-distance use, offroad, and the tow vehicle, so it just isn't worth the few pennies savings per gallon. The Bronco is going to get the same love. What I will miss is the large AUX tank. My other cars all require premium, and frankly, Sam's Club/Costco and the military base keeps my costs down.
I wasn't there...
BigDaddyChops78

Rank V

Jul 15, 2020

Dang I hate when it stays unleaded, unleaded in Utah is 85 not 87. Good thing I am getting a standard so I will be the only one driving it