Front CV boot got loose

FourWheelKyle
Sep 26, 2022

Rank V

Sep 26, 2022

I was washing the Bronco the other day, and I noticed a nice big explosion of grease all over the driver side steering knuckle. Upon closer inspection, the CV boot clamp worked itself off the boot and allowed the grease out.

My dealer is taking care of it under warranty. Was curious if anyone else has experienced this? My Bronco is bone stock (no lifts or alterations to suspension).

If you do develop this issue, be sure your service advisor orders the new axle and a new seal (as called for by the service manual).
IMG_20220919_124301592.jpg
BaBump, LoneRanger
Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2022

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Nov 11, 2022

No idea what your plans are for the truck. Ut if that were me I would ask to have the old cv. (Would make a nice spare)

L.R.
BaBump, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Nov 21, 2022

When was your bronco built? If before October 2021, there is a recall to have the whole front axle replaced bc the CV boots were a diff material that can slip off/damage causing the grease to leak out etc. Ford will pay for the replacement until Oct 2023. Pretty lame since its a recall, they should cover the recall expense indefinitely IMO especially since its a relatively small number of broncos (any broncos produced until Sept. 2021 which is not a ton since Ford didn't start building the bronco for consumers until I think July 2021).

The recall says the CV boot can come off during "any" driving conditions which sounds like a recall scare tactic. You should have seen Toyota's when their fuel pump recall notices went out in 2020..but at least theirs said "only some are affected but everyone needs to bring it in for inspection". Recalls most the time = customer retention for service dept bc while there they can also tell you "hey did you know during the recall we noticed your brakes/tires are worn out etc" and end up selling something to 25% of the recall customers that otherwise wouldn't have come to the dealership if not for the recall.

Have you done ANY offroading in yours? If you went mudding...that's probably what did it.

Ours is a part of the recall. Not sure at least for now if we are going to take it in for recall bc our CV boots in front BOTH look brand new/perfect. Plus we have a 3 inch suspension lift on 37s. Everything perfect. *Additionally, our bronco if you can believe it, has not been offroad YET. Its a long boring story that I won't waste your time with (work vehicle) just know its not easy. It still looks and runs just like it did the day we bought it over a year ago. So my educated guess is offroading is what causes the CV boot to fail. Not normal everyday driving. I could certainly be wrong. Just my 2 cents.

If yours was built AFTER September 2021 then I'll be a little more concerned that the recall doesn't solve the problem based since models built after Sept. 2021 having the correct CV boot material.
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992