Front Axle

460 Bronco
Jun 06, 2020

Rank 0

Jun 06, 2020

When I first got my 1979 Bronco back in 1987 it was stock gray color, not original paint. It is the Custom with nothing fancy on it. There is a roll bar behind the front buckets. I tore up the Ford 9 inch rear end twice and the last time I twisted the pinion into. It was lifted 4 inches and 33 tires on it by then. I got tired of fixing it so I put a Dana 60 out of a 1974 F250 we had that was not running. That fixed the rear end and it is still in it today. Now I had 5 hole up front and 8 hole in the back which I didnt want to carry two spares. I had a buddy who had a junk 3/4 ton Chevy and I got the knuckle joints out including the brakes and put it on my Dana 44 front end and problem fixed. As far as the next step I have a set of early Super Duty axles that is going under it that has 4 wheel disks. I do believe I may change it to leaf springs up front also. I just put a 500 HP 460 with tunnel ram on it.
Deano Bronc, montanabroncos
Last edited by a moderator: Jun 06, 2020

Rank VI

Jun 13, 2020

Why go to leafs up front? The weight of the 460?
2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom
Big460Bronco

Rank 0

Jun 13, 2020

I kinda like the leaf spring look and does completely away from the death wobble also. Its a toy and not building to be flexing machine or anything.

Rank VI

Jun 13, 2020

I kinda like the leaf spring look and does completely away from the death wobble also. Its a toy and not building to be flexing machine or anything.

Makes sense. Never had a leaf sprung 4x4 so was unaware of their not being affected by death wobble. Post pics of the build when you get going on it.
2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom

Rank 0

Jun 20, 2020

What were you doing when you tore up the 9 inch? They are pretty tough! Awesome to see someone else with a 2nd gen with a 460!
Commodore

Rank 0

Jun 20, 2020

Why go to leafs up front? The weight of the 460?
The 460 MIGHT actually weigh less. When I did my 460 swap I discovered that it is actually slightly smaller than the 351M I pulled out. I think it’s about 1/2 inch narrower than the 351/400M
Commodore

Rank 0

Jul 09, 2020

You won’t get death wobble if you build in the right caster and everything is tight. Most people who get death wobble usually have a level kit which is a cheap kit that does not allow correct castor correction. Since you are building it you can set that up yourself. If you go coil your ride will be better and you will be able to actually do a U turn!
I was also thinking the front of axel frame rails would have to be beefed up with a leaf spring Conversion as they are a little light weight in my opinion.
Commodore

Rank 0

Aug 27, 2020

Keep the coils up front. I built a full 1-ton 78 Bronco 20 years ago with 460/C6, Dana 70 rear, Dana 60 front. I considered doing leaf springs because some guys had said it was easier, but I found fabricating the axle to mate with C-bushings and the track bar to be pretty simple. And I could use all off the shelf components from a 78 Bronco or 78 F-350 (donor vehicle). Oh, it had the dual front shock option from the factory, so I had to fab custom brackets for the front shocks to clear the tie rod. Never had death wobble with new bushings and steering parts.
Deano Bronc

Rank V

Jan 01, 2021

Leaf springs might get rid of death wobble, but so will new track bar bushings. Mine was pretty bad because the axle side track bar bracket holes were wallowed out, so I fabbed a new mount incorporated with a hydro assist ram mount, works great. A leaf spring front will ride rougher, flex less, and unless you build a solid ladder bar, introduce u-joint killing axle wrap.
I've been through a couple 9" rears in my 79, the last one I was bouncing it up a rock ledge and my rear driveshaft hit the ground with a pinion gear still bolted to it...
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
TorgSurv

Rank 0

Feb 25, 2021

What were you doing when you tore up the 9 inch? They are pretty tough! Awesome to see someone else with a 2nd gen with a 460!
I still had my 351 Modified in it and was a long time ago. I had it in 4 low in grandma gear and 33 inch tires. When it bit it just sheared the pinion and twisted it up.