Freezing Power steering pump

Alberta Wild Trak
Jan 07, 2022

Rank 0

Jan 07, 2022

Cold in Alberta for past three weeks -25 c and colder, took my wildtrak 2 door in for first service and complained about very heavy steering. Found that the power steering pump was almost frozen. I park it in a heated garage. Anyone hearing about this issue?
Last edited by a moderator: Jan 07, 2022

Moab or bust!!!

Jan 07, 2022

Cold in Alberta for past three weeks -25 c and colder, took my wildtrak 2 door in for first service and complained about very heavy steering. Found that the power steering pump was almost frozen. I park it in a heated garage. Anyone hearing about this issue?
Yes, there are several that have complained about it but I haven't seen a fix for it yet. The Bronco has electric power steering so technically there is not a power steering pump.
They have said that it seems to free up some as they drive it. Another one said that if he lets his Bronco warm up, then it feels much better. I would imagine the grease in the rack is really thick at that point.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.

Rank III

Jan 20, 2022

I've noticed the same thing with mine, however my Bronco lives outside. I will also attest to letting the engine warm to operating temperature before driving does have some impact however still somewhat stiff, but no longer feels like I'm going to break something. Parking in a heated garage or direct sunlight [if you're like me and don't have a heated garage] seems to be the best answer so far.

That's a terrible idea, when do we start?

Jan 20, 2022

Yes, there are several that have complained about it but I haven't seen a fix for it yet. The Bronco has electric power steering so technically there is not a power steering pump.
They have said that it seems to free up some as they drive it. Another one said that if he lets his Bronco warm up, then it feels much better. I would imagine the grease in the rack is really thick at that point.
Do you have a block heater?
4 Door BadSquatch | Soft-top | Velocity Blue | 2.7 Auto | Towing | Lux | Leather