Ford Trailer Hitch & 4 Pin Wiring Harness - Badlands Installation Help?

armo2K
Jun 28, 2022

Rank IV

Jun 28, 2022

Anyone successfully install the Ford accessory trailer hitch and wiring harness on a Badlands? The Ford instructions have a lot to be desired and wiring requires soldering versus pin connectors. The IAG Performance Install Video was well done but doesn't include wiring info and the bumper cover removal does not match the bumper cover fastening scheme on my Badlands. Any suggestions?

I should have purchased an aftermarket hitch.... doesn't require bumper cover removal and the wiring is much simpler.

Part NumberPart Name
FT1Z-15A416-ATrailer Hitch Wiring Harness - 4-Pin
MB3Z-19D520-ATrailer Hitch Assembly
BroncOitis, Bschurr
Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2022

Rank VI

Jun 28, 2022

I installed on a Base. Bumper was (6) total bolts, 3 each side (simple enough). Wiring was done following the Ford directions. Only issue I had was connecting to the "green" wire (if I remember correctly). Took us a while because (2) wires in the group had green in them. Unfortunately, we picked the wrong green to start with, but eventually got it right.

I will say, 1st time doing it, everything was confusing. By the time we were done, it felt like it should've gone quicker, it was as bad as we expected.
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.
Bschurr, Deano Bronc

No Ragerts

Jun 28, 2022

Anyone successfully install the Ford accessory trailer hitch and wiring harness on a Badlands? The Ford instructions have a lot to be desired and wiring requires soldering versus pin connectors. The IAG Performance Install Video was well done but doesn't include wiring info and the bumper cover removal does not match the bumper cover fastening scheme on my Badlands. Any suggestions?

I should have purchased an aftermarket hitch.... doesn't require bumper cover removal and the wiring is much simpler.

Part NumberPart Name
FT1Z-15A416-ATrailer Hitch Wiring Harness - 4-Pin
MB3Z-19D520-ATrailer Hitch Assembly
I dropped the Tow Package to get my 21 Badlands and subsequently installed a Curt hitch & 4 pin harness in under an hour - easy peasy. Not quite sure why Ford makes it so difficult.
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Jun 28, 2022

I installed on a Base. Bumper was (6) total bolts, 3 each side (simple enough). Wiring was done following the Ford directions. Only issue I had was connecting to the "green" wire (if I remember correctly). Took us a while because (2) wires in the group had green in them. Unfortunately, we picked the wrong green to start with, but eventually got it right.

I will say, 1st time doing it, everything was confusing. By the time we were done, it felt like it should've gone quicker, it was as bad as we expected.
Thanks for sharing. Your experience is similar to the IAG video, but the Badlands bumper cover is different. 8 bolts across the bottom and at lease 6 across the top (that I can see)

bumper cover.png
EvlNvrDys

Rank IV

Jun 28, 2022

I dropped the Tow Package to get my 21 Badlands and subsequently installed a Curt hitch & 4 pin harness in under an hour - easy peasy. Not quite sure why Ford makes it so difficult.
I also dropped the factory Tow Package to accelerate delivery. I should have ordered the Curt hitch...may mistake. The Ford Accessory install is not easy....proven by the fact that the dealer wants ~$800 to install it!

I may try to sell my Ford hitch and wiring harness and just go with the Curt.
Bschurr, Deano Bronc

Jun 28, 2022

I also dropped the factory Tow Package to accelerate delivery. I should have ordered the Curt hitch...may mistake. The Ford Accessory install is not easy....proven by the fact that the dealer wants ~$800 to install it!

I may try to sell my Ford hitch and wiring harness and just go with the Curt.
Curious, what makes the ford one different than the Curt one? I thought it was just four wires you have to run essentially.
2022 Big Bend, 4 door, Cactus Grey, on 285/70/17 KO2s
EvlNvrDys, Deano Bronc

Burrito Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2022

Unless it changed for 2022MY… there is only 6 bolts on the Badlands bumper too. One 13mm (?) on each side that can be accessed from the rear wheel well, and then two 18mm holding on the tow hooks.

The bolts you have circled do not need to be removed.

EDIT: Just texted my cousin who has a 2022 Black Diamond—same bumper as Badlands. He confirmed it is only 6 bolts.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
EvlNvrDys

Rank VI

Jun 28, 2022

Curious, what makes the ford one different than the Curt one? I thought it was just four wires you have to run essentially.

The biggest problem stems from not having good instructions. Based on what Ford offers for instructions it is an extremely daunting task. Especially when you step away from the Bronco and look at the mess you have created! (see thumbnail)

Once you are done it feels like it really wasn't that bad.

Remove bumper - Remove bumper? Seriously? Sounds like a major task... until you realize it's 6 bolts and the plastic bumper weighs all of about 10 pounds.
Pop off plastic body panel below tail light - That was the scariest part of all, snap that and you're going to a body shop.
Attach "this wire" to "green wire" - Like I said above, I picked the wrong green wire. Took us a good 10+ minutes trying to figure out why turn signal was going nuts (like when a bulb is out) before I found ANOTHER "green" wire in that bunch.
Slice hole in rubber grommet behind tail light - Who really wants to give water another option to get inside?

So the directions do suck ass! But the install isn't worth the $800 that some of these dealerships are charging. Took us maybe 2-3 hours, but most of that was wasted trying to figure out what or how to do something.

Edit: It goes a lot easier if you have a buddy to help decipher the directions.

Attachments

thgdfathr, Deano Bronc

Burrito Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2022

The biggest problem stems from not having good instructions. Based on what Ford offers for instructions it is an extremely daunting task. Especially when you step away from the Bronco and look at the mess you have created! (see thumbnail)

Yeah it’s really not that bad at all. Super simply actually.

But Ford‘s instructions are written assuming you have access to the service manual—they actually tell you in the hitch installation steps to reference the service manual. Obviously dealers have access to the service manual, but if you are at home doing it yourself, you likely don’t.

EDIT:

First 4-5 minutes of this video shows the removal steps:

2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
EvlNvrDys

No Ragerts

Jun 28, 2022

Unless it changed for 2022MY… there is only 6 bolts on the Badlands bumper too. One 13mm (?) on each side that can be accessed from the rear wheel well, and then two 18mm holding on the tow hooks.

The bolts you have circled do not need to be removed.

EDIT: Just texted my cousin who has a 2022 Black Diamond—same bumper as Badlands. He confirmed it is only 6 bolts.
Mod bumper doesn’t even need to be removed to install the Curt. 4 bolts, washers & nuts torqued to 110# and it’s installed. Wiring is mostly plug-n-play with the exception of a fused hot that needs to be run the length of the vehicle up to battery.
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)

Rank VI

Jun 28, 2022

Mod bumper doesn’t even need to be removed to install the Curt. 4 bolts, washers & nuts torqued to 110# and it’s installed. Wiring is mostly plug-n-play with the exception of a fused hot that needs to be run the length of the vehicle up to battery.

The Curt one did look easier. My biggest issue with it, in all the pictures I saw, it didn't appear to have a slot for the plug to sit in. And I didn't want the plug just hanging loose. Maybe it has a slot, maybe it doesn't, but because of that (and the fact that Curt one wasn't out when I purchased from Ford) that I didn't go with it.
Bschurr

Rank IV

Jun 28, 2022

Yeah it’s really not that bad at all. Super simply actually.

But Ford‘s instructions are written assuming you have access to the service manual—they actually tell you in the hitch installation steps to reference the service manual. Obviously dealers have access to the service manual, but if you are at home doing it yourself, you likely don’t.

EDIT:

First 4-5 minutes of this video shows the removal steps:

Boom! This video helped A LOT!! Thank you! At least now I have the hitch on the vehicle. I'll save the wiring for another day.

Rank IV

Jun 28, 2022

Remove bumper - Remove bumper? Seriously? Sounds like a major task... until you realize it's 6 bolts and the plastic bumper weighs all of about 10 pounds.
Pop off plastic body panel below tail light - That was the scariest part of all, snap that and you're going to a body shop.
Attach "this wire" to "green wire" - Like I said above, I picked the wrong green wire. Took us a good 10+ minutes trying to figure out why turn signal was going nuts (like when a bulb is out) before I found ANOTHER "green" wire in that bunch.
Slice hole in rubber grommet behind tail light - Who really wants to give water another option to get inside?

So the directions do suck ass! But the install isn't worth the $800 that some of these dealerships are charging. Took us maybe 2-3 hours, but most of that was wasted trying to figure out what or how to do something.

Edit: It goes a lot easier if you have a buddy to help decipher the directions.
Thank you. Between your reply and the info @RagnarKon shared, I'm good to go! (Except the wiring....I'll save that for when IO have more time.
EvlNvrDys

Rank III

Jun 28, 2022

Did you get the Curt hitch and the Ford wiring harness or is there a wiring harness from Curt?

No Ragerts

Jun 28, 2022

Did you get the Curt hitch and the Ford wiring harness or is there a wiring harness from Curt?
Yup - Curt wiring harness 56468
Bfin

Jun 28, 2022

For those interested…
I went with the Rough Country hitch, which doesn’t have a slot for the wire plug in to sit in. I’m going to buy this and install it on the rear bumper somewhere to give it a clean look whenever I get around to buying the wire harness.

4-way Flat Trailer Connector with Snap Self-Closing Lid Cover Heavy-Duty 12V 4-pin Trailer Tow Wire Harness Socket Kit with 7.8" Wires Road Tough WeatherLock https://a.co/d/0b01GAx
2022 Big Bend, 4 door, Cactus Grey, on 285/70/17 KO2s
Deano Bronc, EvlNvrDys

Rank III

Jun 28, 2022

Yup - Curt wiring harness 56468
Awesome thank you! I wasn’t finding any that they said were compatible but I had it set to 2022 and these say 2021 so it was overlooked. Thanks again!
Sparky 22, Bschurr

No Ragerts

Jun 28, 2022

The Curt one did look easier. My biggest issue with it, in all the pictures I saw, it didn't appear to have a slot for the plug to sit in. And I didn't want the plug just hanging loose. Maybe it has a slot, maybe it doesn't, but because of that (and the fact that Curt one wasn't out when I purchased from Ford) that I didn't go with it.
FYI - I bought one of these and affixed it to the bottom of the bumper to hold the 4 pin plug…

CURT 58301

Deano Bronc, EvlNvrDys

Rank V

Jun 29, 2022

I was told the issue is with the 7/4 pin connector. I don't understand the hitch issue. They, the hitch, are available on the web. Are there that many Broncos that need a hitch?

Rank IV

Jun 29, 2022

I was told the issue is with the 7/4 pin connector. I don't understand the hitch issue. They, the hitch, are available on the web. Are there that many Broncos that need a hitch?
The Ford hitch requires removal of the bumper to bolt the hitch to the fastening points from "back-to-front". The Curt hitch allows for installation without removing the bumper because the bolts can be inserted under the bumper from front-to-back. Curt wiring harness seems easier as well, using the rear taillight as a junction box.
Deano Bronc, Bschurr