Rank II

Super Supporter II

Dec 23, 2020
Alberta
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Watson
I'm not a fan of off-road racing and I got caught up in the (admittedly unrealistic) hype of a potential Heritage Model Reveal. I like it better than the Bronco R but still a resounding MEH.

Flourman

Rank V

Supporter II

Jul 18, 2020
Littleton, CO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Roush
Member #

I love the whole King of the Hammers and was super pumped about this reveal as well as the work with the Bronco R and the three 4400 sponsored trucks. I REALLY like that Ford is investing back into off-road racing. “Race on Sunday, Sell Trucks on Monday”. Bravo on the reveal and the work in the off-road racing community!

I watched the reveal live and about dropped my phone when the comment rolled through “The new Bronco and Blaser should race. The Blaser would kill the Bronco”. Well maybe in how many groceries they can fit.

TorgSurv

Rank VI

Champion II

Jul 13, 2020
Moab, Ut
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Torgersen
Member #

I like it. Pretty cool build. For those unfamiliar, this is different than the three 4400 class Ultra4 Broncos revealed earlier this week in that this one is actually a Bronco underneath, not a complete custom vehicle from the ground up.

Here are the basics of the 4600 class rules from ultra4racing.com:
  • Stock OEM Frame
  • Factory Engine
  • Factory Transmission
  • 35” DOT approved tires
  • Single 2.5 inch diameter shocks per corner
  • Mechanical Steering
20210203_142651.jpg20210203_142658.jpg20210203_142720.jpg20210203_142732.jpg20210203_142740.jpg20210203_142750.jpg20210203_142919.jpg

gibsBRonCO

Rank V

Supporter III

Mar 21, 2020
Cuchara, CO, USA
Member #

I don't understand why some people are disappointed in this. This is how Ford will develop future production items and accessories - by testing them in the stock class of Ultra 4 racing. Ford is going all-in. This is right to the roots of the Classic Bronco running Baja in the 60's. Props to Ford for everything they're doing at KOH. The trickle-down will be great for new Broncos.

Portal axles on IFS? This will blow Jeep' solid front axle away. Pure genius!

Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Don't delete

May 20, 2020
Winona Lake, IN, USA
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Smeltzer
Member #

I don't understand why some people are disappointed in this. This is how Ford will develop future production items and accessories - by testing them in the stock class of Ultra 4 racing. Ford is going all-in. This is right to the roots of the Classic Bronco running Baja in the 60's. Props to Ford for everything they're doing at KOH. The trickle-down will be great for new Broncos.

Portal axles on IFS? This will blow Jeep' solid front axle away. Pure genius!
Definitely not disappointed in the new race truck and love that Ford is getting heavily involved. As you said, it improves the breed. I was just expecting the Warthog debut. Not that I could afford it, but just something to chew on until the next bit of info. :)

Could you explain what the portal axles are?

Bronco5.0

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

Definitely not disappointed in the new race truck and love that Ford is getting heavily involved. As you said, it improves the breed. I was just expecting the Warthog debut. Not that I could afford it, but just something to chew on until the next bit of info. :)

Portal axle has a gear box on the end to drop the axle stub down while maintaining high clearance, I'll find a pic. Farmall's small tractors used them for high clearance.

Rydfree

Rank VI

Super Supporter III

Sep 1, 2020
Alabama
First Name
Benny
Last Name
Bryant
Member #

old design from WWII but gets the point across very well .
portal.jpg

gibsBRonCO

Rank V

Supporter III

Mar 21, 2020
Cuchara, CO, USA
Member #

Portal axles have already been explained but I'd like to add that the stock IFS loses ground clearance when one or both front wheels lift over a rock - the diff hangs down. If you can get extra (I'm guessing here) 4-5 inches of clearance with the portals that's huge. The other way to get clearance is bigger tires but you only get 1/2" of extra clearance per 1" of bigger tire size. So to get 4 inches of extra clearance on say a Sasquatch package with 35's you would need to run 43 inch tires! Also, with portals you do not need a suspension lift to get the lift you want.

Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Don't delete

May 20, 2020
Winona Lake, IN, USA
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Smeltzer
Member #

Portal axle has a gear box on the end to drop the axle stub down while maintaining high clearance, I'll find a pic. Farmall's small tractors used them for high clearance.

old design from WWII but gets the point across very well .
Portal axles have already been explained but I'd like to add that the stock IFS loses ground clearance when one or both front wheels lift over a rock - the diff hangs down. If you can get extra (I'm guessing here) 4-5 inches of clearance with the portals that's huge. The other way to get clearance is bigger tires but you only get 1/2" of extra clearance per 1" of bigger tire size. So to get 4 inches of extra clearance on say a Sasquatch package with 35's you would need to run 43 inch tires! Also, with portals you do not need a suspension lift to get the lift you want.
Thank you all very much. Great explanations and I can see the advantages.
Now that I know what they are, didn't the first military Hummers use something like this?

Broncofly

Rank V

Champion I

Aug 6, 2020
Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Calisto
Member #

Well, I was waaaaaaaay off on the presentation.....oh well. At least people who might want to “wrap” their Bronco got some new ideas.

Reactions: Deano Bronc