Ford launches V-8 supercharged F-150 Raptor R

RagnarKon
Jul 18, 2022

Burrito Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2022

Obviously not Bronco news, but still very much an off-road oriented vehicle and maybe a preview of what Ford has in mind for a potential future Bronco Raptor R. For now... Bronco has the Bronco DR coming this year.

So the long-awaited F-150 Raptor R with the 5.2L supercharged Predator V-8 (same engine as the Mustang GT 500) launched this morning along with the rest of the 2023 F-150 models. Price on the F-150 Raptor R is around $109,000. More than I'm willing to spend, but obviously much more economical than the expected ~$250,000 on the Bronco DR.

Spec sheet attached.

Launch video, that was surprisingly on the creative side:

And a short video from one of my favorite YouTube channels that briefly goes into the engineering with a member of the Ford Performance team:

Attachments

2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
Deano Bronc, Steve777468

Standing Grumpy Face

Jul 18, 2022

Let's keep adding different models and trim levels when we can't even keep up with regular production. This will definitely be a niche model for the very well to do. Probably won't be able to touch one for under $150k.
Buking Bronco, Steve777468

Rank VI

Jul 18, 2022

Well looky here, Ford does still produce V8 engines..... Now if we could please just get a nice V8 for a Base Bronco I'd be happy!
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.
Buking Bronco, Deano Bronc

Burrito Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2022

Let's keep adding different models and trim levels when we can't even keep up with regular production. This will definitely be a niche model for the very well to do. Probably won't be able to touch one for under $150k.
Oh it's absolutely a niche product. Obviously a direct competitor to the RAM TRX, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Ford product teams admitted one day that the only reason why it exists is because of the TRX.

Personally I'm interested in the new color choices and curious if any will make their way onto the Bronco. Specifically the Avalanche Gray—we've see it before, and if it was on the Bronco it would be my preferred choice. But there is also an Azure Blue, which I'm not familiar with, but it could be the "Peak Blue Metallic" color that was leaked by that touchup paint website. :unsure:
Sparky 22

Standing Grumpy Face

Jul 18, 2022

Oh it's absolutely a niche product. Obviously a direct competitor to the RAM TRX, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Ford product teams admitted one day that the only reason why it exists is because of the TRX.

Personally I'm interested in the new color choices and curious if any will make their way onto the Bronco. Specifically the Avalanche Gray—we've see it before, and if it was on the Bronco it would be my preferred choice. But there is also an Azure Blue, which I'm not familiar with, but it could be the "Peak Blue Metallic" color that was leaked by that touchup paint website. :unsure:

Avalanche is listed on the touch up paint site for the 2023 Ranger. Ranger order banks open today so hopefully the order guide will come out as well and we'll know for sure.

Azure looks like one of those colors that's hard to photograph. And changes depending on the light. I'm curious.

A0142DDD-F417-480C-924E-1856D0752F9A.jpegE45FB188-1D01-4EB9-ADAA-EBD1094263AB.jpeg
TK1215

Rank VI

Jul 18, 2022

I bet they get theirs before I get my Bronco . . . Uber rich make their own rules . . . most times.
Buking Bronco

Burrito Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2022

Avalanche is listed on the touch up paint site for the 2023 Ranger. Ranger order banks open today so hopefully the order guide will come out as well and we'll know for sure.

Azure looks like one of those colors that's hard to photograph. And changes depending on the light. I'm curious.
OH WAIT… just re-read the press release now that I’ve had some coffee. It’s Azure Gray not Azure Blue.

Not that it really helped me anyway, not familiar with Azure Gray either. My Google search tells me that it is a color that looks suspiciously like Area 51. So I’m not sure if I’m looking at the right thing.

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jul 18, 2022

Max power @ RPM760 hp @ 7,300 rpm
Max torque @ RPM625 lb-ft @ 5,000 rpm

Bye bye eco snooze only 12 psi of boost in this thing.
Achilles

Rank V

Jul 18, 2022

If ford mates the R engine with a MT in a 2 door bronco we're all in
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992
Deano Bronc, Steve777468

Rank III

Jul 18, 2022

Considering TRXs are going for $180-220k, I wouldn't imagine getting a Raptor R for under $200k.

These are niche trucks that only the select few that want a TRX will truly want.

Well looky here, Ford does still produce V8 engines..... Now if we could please just get a nice V8 for a Base Bronco I'd be happy!

Your best bet is to give it a good ten years, then swap a coyote into a base Bronco. We'll be lucky if Ford pulls the trigger on a Bronco Raptor R. The Rubicon 392 will have to cut into Bronco sales significantly, which it's not doing at all. Who knows, we'll see! I get the feeling these are the very last V8s we will see from Ford going forward. Hopefully not, though!
2022 2023 Badlands 4D | Shadow Black | MIC | 2.7L | Sasquatch | Lux Package | MOD Bumpers | Order Date: 10/19/21

Rank VI

Jul 18, 2022

Considering TRXs are going for $180-220k, I wouldn't imagine getting a Raptor R for under $200k.

These are niche trucks that only the select few that want a TRX will truly want.

Your best bet is to give it a good ten years, then swap a coyote into a base Bronco. We'll be lucky if Ford pulls the trigger on a Bronco Raptor R. The Rubicon 392 will have to cut into Bronco sales significantly, which it's not doing at all. Who knows, we'll see! I get the feeling these are the very last V8s we will see from Ford going forward. Hopefully not, though!

Sadly we've been seeing the V8's die out for awhile now. Unless of course you are talking Dodge. I know I'll never see another V8 in a Bronco, but it can't hurt to dream ;)
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.
Deano Bronc

Burrito Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2022

Sadly we've been seeing the V8's die out for awhile now. Unless of course you are talking Dodge. I know I'll never see another V8 in a Bronco, but it can't hurt to dream ;)
Yeah I think you're right. V-8 vehicles will definitely exist for quite some time, but it's going to be limited to high-dollar performance/luxury vehicles, and three-quarter-ton (or larger) pickups. I think the days of automobile manufacturers releasing new economical "common person" V-8 vehicles are gone. They sure has heck ain't going to put a V-8 in a mid-size SUV like the Bronco for under ~$80,000.

Which is fine I've already been through the grieving process when Ford discontinued the manual transmission on their pickups. And then I went through another grieving process when Ford outright discontinued all of their cars (sans Mustang) in favor of a bunch of CUVs. So I'm used to the disappointment at this point. I'll just stand here from the sidelines and watch people with way too much money do stupid stuff on YouTube with their $80,000+ V-8 performance vehicles. :cool:
Mal, EvlNvrDys

Burrito Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2022

OH WAIT… just re-read the press release now that I’ve had some coffee. It’s Azure Gray not Azure Blue.

Not that it really helped me anyway, not familiar with Azure Gray either. My Google search tells me that it is a color that looks suspiciously like Area 51. So I’m not sure if I’m looking at the right thing.
Alright found a picture of Azure Gray.

As far as I can tell it is a slightly lighter version of Area 51. It may even just be an Area 51 Tri-coat. So... meh... definitely not what @Garemlin posted earlier. It's fine... I guess.

1658175534903.png

Rank III

Jul 18, 2022

Obviously not Bronco news, but still very much an off-road oriented vehicle and maybe a preview of what Ford has in mind for a potential future Bronco Raptor R. For now... Bronco has the Bronco DR coming this year.

So the long-awaited F-150 Raptor R with the 5.2L supercharged Predator V-8 (same engine as the Mustang GT 500) launched this morning along with the rest of the 2023 F-150 models. Price on the F-150 Raptor R is around $109,000. More than I'm willing to spend, but obviously much more economical than the expected ~$250,000 on the Bronco DR.

Spec sheet attached.

Launch video, that was surprisingly on the creative side:

And a short video from one of my favorite YouTube channels that briefly goes into the engineering with a member of the Ford Performance team:
I too was disappointed Ford didn't offer a normally aspirated engine option in the base Bronco, but I wanted a base engine not a performance V8 option. After driving my 2.3L Bronco for 5 months now, I am very satisfied with the 2.3L. I'm not an aggressive driver, but its plenty fast when you punch it and its smooth and refined. No regrets. The inline design also allows for lots of space under the hood.
IL21Bronco

Rank VI

Jul 18, 2022

I bet they get theirs before I get my Bronco . . . Uber rich make their own rules . . . most times.

Yes, yes we do. haha!
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Deano Bronc, TK1215

Rank VI

Jul 19, 2022

If only I had the money for one I would love this truck! I'm glad they put a Supercharged V8 in it.
MY21 2dr Black Diamond 7MT Velocity Blue!

Rank III

Jul 20, 2022

Max power @ RPM760 hp @ 7,300 rpm
Max torque @ RPM625 lb-ft @ 5,000 rpm

Bye bye eco snooze only 12 psi of boost in this thing.
Wow. 760 HP!!!
That's up there with the Hell Cat SRT

Rank 0

Jul 21, 2022

So... my dream Bronco would have just had the 5.0 l Coyote V8 in it... just like my 2016 F150. I don't know why that wasn't an option. Couldn't be for gas mileage, as I get better mileage from my F150 with the 5.0 than I get from my Bronco. Both hover around 15-16 mpg.

Rank III

Jul 21, 2022

So... my dream Bronco would have just had the 5.0 l Coyote V8 in it... just like my 2016 F150. I don't know why that wasn't an option. Couldn't be for gas mileage, as I get better mileage from my F150 with the 5.0 than I get from my Bronco. Both hover around 15-16 mpg.
Because there is an immense amount of pressure from the federal government for automakers to focus on electric vehicles. Mercedes will completely stop producing combustion engines before the end of the decade. Ford has already given us insight into their future business model - direct to consumer electric vehicles like Tesla. It's only a matter of time before the combustion engine is a novelty and not commonly produced.
2022 2023 Badlands 4D | Shadow Black | MIC | 2.7L | Sasquatch | Lux Package | MOD Bumpers | Order Date: 10/19/21