Ford Installation Guide Takes the Guesswork Out of Upfitting

Laura
Oct 15, 2021
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Oct 15, 2021

Installation-Guide-cover.png

By Dusty Rhodes
originally posted: https://thebronconation.com/ford-installation-guide-takes-the-guesswork-out-of-upfitting/

Today Ford announced the release of a free 25-page Bronco Equipment Installation Guide intended to make upfitting the all-new Bronco easier. Download your PDF copy of the guide below.
The guide covers a wide range of topics from the location of safety sensors and cameras to accessory points, axle ratios, and cooling considerations. “The Ford Bronco Installation Guide was designed to assist enthusiasts and builders with the upfit of their vehicle,” said Greg Hawkins, engineer at Ford Motor Company.

For instance, the guide provides important engine cooling considerations with a helpful red, yellow, green, graphic. Helpful graphics (page 16) show the risk levels associated with adding accessories that block or restrict airflow to the cooling components or turbo charger.

The all-new Bronco is equipped with Ford’s Co-Pilot 360, adapted and upgraded to deliver a powerful suite of safety technology for both on and off-road use. This technology includes a very useful 360-degree camera, literally a lifesaver when navigating tough obstacles, avoiding the need for a full-time spotter when rock crawling or climbing. On road, this technology gives you a front and rear wide-angle camera as well as a useful overhead view –– it’s magic, useful for getting in and out of tough spots. For everyday driving, Advanced Emergency Braking pre-loads the brakes if it detects an obstacle in your intended path. If the driver fails to take action, it will begin to apply the brakes for you.

To prevent this finely tuned and sophisticated safety technology from being impacted by modifications made by a builder, Ford has outlined Sensor Field Zones that should not be changed to maintain the integrity of the system.

The widely publicized Bronco Bolts are covered in detail with specifications including location and load bearing capabilities. Helpful torque specifications and bolt sizes are included to keep your accessories secure and avoid those annoying real-time internet searches for the information.

For those looking to add a lift or new set of rims and tires, Ford has spelled out specific details on approach and departure angles, tire sizes, and axle and transmission ratios. Detailed GVWR and body and frame mounting points are also detailed in the publications to ensure you don’t overload your rig.

The Ford Bronco Installation Guide release is timely, as Broncos resume full production and owners begin to make their unique modifications.

Let us know what you find the most useful about the guide and what you think it is missing. We will consolidate your feedback and share it with Ford. Here at Bronco Nation, our goal is to make owning a Bronco easier!

Live Guide: https://madocumentupload.marketinga...46ccb24c3aa1144faaffad47ddd93b061878&v5=False
Download the 2021 Ford Bronco Installation Guide.

Attachments

2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Keeping the Jeeps: stock '89 XJ and 3.5" lifted '00 XJ on 31s
Xpathf1nderX, Darrel
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2021

Rank VI

Oct 15, 2021

Excellent guide!
CO OBX 2dr. 2.7l, 4.27 rear locker, tow, Lux, Aux switches, roof rails, Roast Leather. 7/14/20 res, 1/30/21 order.
12/13/21 build week. Blend date 12/16/21 Built 12/29/21 Brought home 1/1/22

Rank V

Oct 16, 2021

View attachment 19767

By Dusty Rhodes
originally posted: https://thebronconation.com/ford-installation-guide-takes-the-guesswork-out-of-upfitting/

Today Ford announced the release of a free 25-page Bronco Equipment Installation Guide intended to make upfitting the all-new Bronco easier. Download your PDF copy of the guide below.
The guide covers a wide range of topics from the location of safety sensors and cameras to accessory points, axle ratios, and cooling considerations. “The Ford Bronco Installation Guide was designed to assist enthusiasts and builders with the upfit of their vehicle,” said Greg Hawkins, engineer at Ford Motor Company.

For instance, the guide provides important engine cooling considerations with a helpful red, yellow, green, graphic. Helpful graphics (page 16) show the risk levels associated with adding accessories that block or restrict airflow to the cooling components or turbo charger.

The all-new Bronco is equipped with Ford’s Co-Pilot 360, adapted and upgraded to deliver a powerful suite of safety technology for both on and off-road use. This technology includes a very useful 360-degree camera, literally a lifesaver when navigating tough obstacles, avoiding the need for a full-time spotter when rock crawling or climbing. On road, this technology gives you a front and rear wide-angle camera as well as a useful overhead view –– it’s magic, useful for getting in and out of tough spots. For everyday driving, Advanced Emergency Braking pre-loads the brakes if it detects an obstacle in your intended path. If the driver fails to take action, it will begin to apply the brakes for you.

To prevent this finely tuned and sophisticated safety technology from being impacted by modifications made by a builder, Ford has outlined Sensor Field Zones that should not be changed to maintain the integrity of the system.

The widely publicized Bronco Bolts are covered in detail with specifications including location and load bearing capabilities. Helpful torque specifications and bolt sizes are included to keep your accessories secure and avoid those annoying real-time internet searches for the information.

For those looking to add a lift or new set of rims and tires, Ford has spelled out specific details on approach and departure angles, tire sizes, and axle and transmission ratios. Detailed GVWR and body and frame mounting points are also detailed in the publications to ensure you don’t overload your rig.

The Ford Bronco Installation Guide release is timely, as Broncos resume full production and owners begin to make their unique modifications.

Let us know what you find the most useful about the guide and what you think it is missing. We will consolidate your feedback and share it with Ford. Here at Bronco Nation, our goal is to make owning a Bronco easier!

Live Guide: https://madocumentupload.marketinga...46ccb24c3aa1144faaffad47ddd93b061878&v5=False
Download the 2021 Ford Bronco Installation Guide.
Good deal! Thx Laura
[O=••••=O]
IceSoldier88

Trusted and Carefree

Oct 16, 2021

Great info! makes me rethink some light placement. Nice to see that prior to figuring it because things are overheating
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco

Rank III

Oct 26, 2021

Much appreciated information to think about while waiting on my Bronco’s arrival

Rank VI

Oct 26, 2021

I've used those a lot for other Ford vehicles. Nice, and it answers a few questions that routinely pop up.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole

Rank IV

Jan 23, 2022

Super useful - thanks! Assuming Ford has a few updates to make still as the Guide states zero pound load limit for the roof rack on vehicles with 315 tires (SAS). Mine arrives in a few weeks in this config so I will have to see when it gets here. I thought the 22’s had a rear sway bar from the factory to mitigate this?

Thanks for sharing the Guide!
Cactus Gray, 4Dr, Basesquatch, Mod Bumper, Aux Switches, Roof Rack: Reservation: 13 JUL 21 / 1st Order: 12 JUL 21 / 2nd Order: 21 OCT 21 / Build: 13 JAN 22 / Shipped: 20 JAN 22 / Delivered: 2 FEB 22

Expensive Taste

Jan 29, 2022

Thank you for this information, @Laura . I would like to offer a suggestion for a future version of this document. Can it include a diagram of the airbag locations, particularly the overhead airbags? I've been seeing lots of posts and videos from owners who are trying to rig up some grab handles over the airbag locations. I can't imagine a driver or passenger would want their wrist resting directly on an airbag location as it is being deployed.

I say this as someone who has worked in safety management systems for aviation, and currently works in safety/regulatory for pharmaceuticals (hence the user name)
Laura

Rank VI

Jan 30, 2022

How do I mount a winch without blocking cooling air.
2021 4-door; Adv. 4x4; 2.3L; 10spd Auto; Area 51; Black Diamond; Mid pkg; door bags.

Rank III

Feb 11, 2022

Any idea if there's a similar guide with torque specs for all coilover, tie rod, wheel, caliper, etc bolts/nuts?

Rank V

Apr 03, 2022

Great info!!!

Rank I

Nov 04, 2022

How do I mount a winch without blocking cooling air.
I have a 2021 4dr badlands, just had a Rough Country under bumper installed.

Attachments

Rank V

Feb 18, 2023

@ Laura

The SAE is the governing body for automobile wiring. The Upfitted switch one which is on a 30 amp fuse battery distribution box position #60- 30 amps is connect in my opinion to too small diameter ( 1.5mm2) or 16 AWG. If only lamps are connected SAE J1292 codes says 16ga under 12" is acceptable.

So why is it 30 amps which can send a 30 amp load before tripping. Here is a table or wire gauges and permitted ampacity. The Owner Manual page 457 has a chart and says solid yellow is the circuit wire ( bunch) for the first connection, but it is under the correct gauge for a 30 amp fuse ( #10 AWG)

Please respond. A copy of SAE J1292 will follow see section 4.0+

Attachments

Bronco_KeKe

Rank V

Feb 18, 2023

This is an older cooy of SAE J 1292 standards. Current version has a cost of $80.00 and my Ford dealer is too cheap to have his techs access.

Attachments

Rank V

Feb 18, 2023

One more chart. That solid yellow should be 10 AWG not 1.5 mm2 .

Attachments

Rank V

Feb 18, 2023

here what I got trying to down load the guide:
"Sorry, we're currently unavailable. Please check back later."???😥😥😥

Rank V

Feb 18, 2023

The above posts are upfitting electrical accessories. Since I cannot downloan it I assume this may the best place to get your attension!😚😚😚😚
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Feb 18, 2023

@frankgoss I only do part swaps and oil changes on my vehicles; I don't do wiring. I can only share what Ford gives me.
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
thgdfathr, Ditchrunner

An hour short of a day

Feb 19, 2023

@frankgoss , how about you take this up with Ford Corporate rather than rile everyone up on BN? I have no doubt there is someone in the bowels of Ford who can and might answer your concerns, and IF they are valid, Ford has too many lawyers NOT to take action In order to protect us mere mortals.

Personally, I’m willing to take a chance on Ford, as they have been building cars and trucks for over a hundred years, and I’ve had many, and have never had a melted wire, much less an electrical fire…

As I said earlier in another thread, if you're so unhappy with Ford, go and spend your money with another automaker.

I’m out
Riding OB1, 23 4- door Outer Banks, SAS, MOD, MIC, Lux, Ordered 10/20/22, delivered 1/13/23
Daisy76
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Feb 19, 2023

@frankgoss I saw there were more threads, and that in those you were asking for me to tell this to Ford contacts, not comment of the accuracy of the wiring. I'll do my best to get in your concern.