Ford Explorer Timberline

What Ford product should get the off-road treatment next?

• Mustang Mach-E

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Mustang Mach-E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mustang Mach-E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Let us know in the comments below)

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

David

Rank VI
Staff member
Super Moderator

Promoter II

Mar 19, 2020
Southgate, MI, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Liebmann
Member #

David

Rank VI
Staff member
Super Moderator

Promoter II

Mar 19, 2020
Southgate, MI, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Liebmann
Member #

"Explorer Timberline features a 2.3-liter EcoBoost® engine producing 300 horsepower and 310 lb.-ft. of torque, paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission."
:unsure: Sounds familiar.

"Explorer Timberline launches in a new Forged Green Metallic exterior color."
To be transparent, I don't know if this is the green for Bronco next year. I'd be fine with it if it is though.

Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Don't delete

May 20, 2020
Winona Lake, IN, USA
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Smeltzer
Member #

"Explorer Timberline features a 2.3-liter EcoBoost® engine producing 300 horsepower and 310 lb.-ft. of torque, paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission."
:unsure: Sounds familiar.

"Explorer Timberline launches in a new Forged Green Metallic exterior color."
To be transparent, I don't know if this is the green for Bronco next year. I'd be fine with it if it is though.
It's really tough to tell what that color actually looks like in the sun. Initially it looks a little darker than I was hoping but its so much better than some shades people have been suggesting.
I read somewhere in all the reports that it is supposed to be a Timberline color only, so not likely a Bronco color.

Reactions: Bronc96 and 14U

RynoPSU

Rank IV

Don't delete

Sep 17, 2020
Novi, MI, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Craig
Don't lie. You all know you want to see a lifted off road package Expedition. You'd like it better if they took 2 doors off and called it Bronco XL.

Reactions: Bronc96 and David

dgolkin

Rank 0

Advocate I

Apr 21, 2021
Brick NJ
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Golkin
I feel like the Ford Explorer would be the best platform for an off-road upfit. The Edge seems too small and the Expedition would be way too big to have on most trails. Explorer can fit a good amount of people and still fit on a lot of trails from my experience.

Reactions: Bronc96

Bronco5.0

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

I voted other, they should make the GT a 4 door and make it an off roader or bring back the Aerostar make it 4whl drive they seem to be good at building mall crawlers.

• Wow
Reactions: Bronc96 and TK1215

RynoPSU

Rank IV

Don't delete

Sep 17, 2020
Novi, MI, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Craig
I feel like the Ford Explorer would be the best platform for an off-road upfit. The Edge seems too small and the Expedition would be way too big to have on most trails. Explorer can fit a good amount of people and still fit on a lot of trails from my experience.
The Expedition was the direct evolution of the 1996 Bronco (F100/150 based) when they renamed it and added 4 doors. It would be appropriate to make an offroading package or Raptor treatment for desert running, not trail offroading.

The Edge is bigger than an Escape/Bronco Sport but the shape just doesn't seem like it would fit with any kind of offroading theme no matter how you tried to do it. It's going to look weird.

TCopp

Rank V

Champion I

Jun 26, 2020
Olathe, KS, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Copple
Member #

If this is to be a 2021 model, wouldn't they only have a few months to make these? Or does the Explorer run on a different yearly schedule?

It would be nice if we could B&P these, heck, we still can't even B&P the F150 Tremor.

RynoPSU

Rank IV

Don't delete

Sep 17, 2020
Novi, MI, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Craig
If this is to be a 2021 model, wouldn't they only have a few months to make these? Or does the Explorer run on a different yearly schedule?

It would be nice if we could B&P these, heck, we still can't even B&P the F150 Tremor.
It was stated as a MY2021 in the news release so they must be planning on making some amount of them for MY21. The start and end of model years seem to be thrown out of whack a bit from COVID so MY21 may be running a lot longer into CY2021 than it traditionally did.

It took a few weeks between the announcement of the lower cost Explorer ST and when the build and price was updated to show it. The King Ranch Explorer was announced in February and just now added to the build and price. I wouldn't expect to see the Timberline show up for a few weeks to 2 months.