Flat tow not possible on 2.7 liter

Interior guy
May 06, 2022

Rank 0

May 06, 2022

Ford has a problem they won’t address on the 2.7 liter cause it has electric brake booster that goes inactive after 15 mins and makes brakes inoperable under tow mode
Last edited by a moderator: May 06, 2022

Life is a Highway

May 06, 2022

Ford has a problem they won’t address on the 2.7 liter cause it has electric brake booster that goes inactive after 15 mins and makes brakes inoperable under tow mode
If I remember correctly I believe there is a specific button or setting that will allow the flat tow without any issue. If you look back through the archives there was a video and threads about this topic. Sometime back in 2020 or early 2021 I believe.

Rank 0

May 06, 2022

Yea I’m not sure you understand. This is a problem with the bms battery management system timing out after you put the vehicle into tow mode and you hook up to the rv there is a supplemental brake system necessary to tow a vehicle over 3,000 pounds when the rv brakes the towed vehicle must be able to apply brakes with that supplemental system and ford broncos with the 2.7 liter engine comes with eclectic brake booster that shuts off after 15 mins when in tow mode rendering the brakes inoperable. It was an oversight by ford. The dealers know about it as well as ford but they aren’t doing anything about it there are many people already towing these vehicles that have all filed complaints with ford and national highway safety
Smoothmove, TK1215

Life is a Highway

May 06, 2022

Yea I’m not sure you understand. This is a problem with the bms battery management system timing out after you put the vehicle into tow mode and you hook up to the rv there is a supplemental brake system necessary to tow a vehicle over 3,000 pounds when the rv brakes the towed vehicle must be able to apply brakes with that supplemental system and ford broncos with the 2.7 liter engine comes with eclectic brake booster that shuts off after 15 mins when in tow mode rendering the brakes inoperable. It was an oversight by ford. The dealers know about it as well as ford but they aren’t doing anything about it there are many people already towing these vehicles that have all filed complaints with ford and national highway safety
Interesting. Please keep us posted in this issue. This is the first I have heard about this. Unfortunately I don’t have mine yet. But fortunately when I finally do get it, I won’t be towing it behind anything.
WhiteWalker, GrNWildtrak

Rank V

May 06, 2022

Have also been working on this issue since early December, just cannot get anyone at the dealership or Ford take me serious.
If you are towing a 2.7 V6 Bronco and you set the toad brakes not to lockup when you start off they will go away 15 to 30 minutes after you close the doors.
Bigger picture, I believe this is an issue on any new Ford with EBB (Electronic Brake Boost).
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

May 26, 2022

Hi Interior guy,
Ford has released the following technical service bulletin on this issue: https://thebronconation.com/2021-2022-bronco-flat-tow-issue-and-fix/.

Attachments

2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Keeping the Jeeps: stock '89 XJ and 3.5" lifted '00 XJ on 31s
GeoBig, Deano Bronc

Rank V

May 27, 2022

The TSB is now in OASIS. Plus an update to the "Automatic Transmission Damage Resulting From Improperly Towing Vehicles" TSB.

Attachments

Laura
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

May 27, 2022

The TSB is now in OASIS. Plus an update to the "Automatic Transmission Damage Resulting From Improperly Towing Vehicles" TSB.
Thanks for posting the bulletins, grtharris!
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Keeping the Jeeps: stock '89 XJ and 3.5" lifted '00 XJ on 31s

Rank V

Mar 15, 2023

Laura, I'm posting this as much as I can. Ford as not said anything about this software change begin downloaded over the air. It is a bit nerve-rack·ing when you go into Tow Mode and start getting all these brake system warning.

The software fix to take care of the EBB issue is out and begin downloaded over the air.
It turns off the EBB as soon as you go into the Tow Mode and stay off unit you exit the tow mode. Once the new software is downloaded into your Bronco you do not need to pull the fuses.
Deano Bronc, Cornwelltoolman

An hour short of a day

Mar 15, 2023

So,
Can we assume this fix will happen in my driveway OTA as long as I’m connected? Not towing anytime soon but would like to be able to
Riding OB1, 23 4- door Outer Banks, SAS, MOD, MIC, Lux, Ordered 10/20/22, delivered 1/13/23
TK1215

Rank XXXXXXVVVVVIIII

Mar 15, 2023

So,
Can we assume this fix will happen in my driveway OTA as long as I’m connected? Not towing anytime soon but would like to be able to
Yes if you can check by putting your Bronco in flat tow mode you should immediately get several brake warnings. if not you do not have the update.
grtharris, Bluestreak57