Help, I BROKE My 2 week Old Bronco Soft top!

Regularbronco
Aug 21, 2021

Rank 0

Aug 21, 2021

01 Sep update, actually took off the header bow, it was really easy. I can order a replacement for my mustang GT, but I can't find one for the Bronco. There's some pictures of it off the vehicle along with some part numbers and production date time stamp. I posted the pictures later in the thread. Any help on sourcing this part would be greatly appreciated!IMG_20210817_162435.jpgIMG_20210817_162508.jpgIMG_20210817_162512.jpgIMG_20210817_162623.jpg

So just two weeks into ownership of my Bronco I broke the Soft Top!

The Broncos been great, from wading into the gulf extracting a Waverunner, to hauling luggage and passengers to and from the airport with ease, and swallowing a flatbed full Sam's club items it's cavernous cargo area!

In exchange for it's fantastic abilities and service I give my bronco a big thank you by smashing my soft top into my garage wall. I probably would have been better off had the bronco been safely held at the Michigan Assembly plant!

I need help finding the part number and place to order.IMG_20210902_174542.jpgScreenshot_20210902-172032.jpgIMG_20210902_173410_02.jpg
Deano Bronc, Steve777468

Rank V

Aug 21, 2021

Damn... The only place to get that will be the dealer parts store.
Bronco Badlands, Bronco Black Diamond, Bronco Big Bend, & Bronco Sport Badlands
www.youtube.com/1five1garage

Rank 0

Aug 21, 2021

Damn... The only place to get that will be the dealer parts store.
Tried, the parts guy can't find the Part, said as far as he can see I have to order the entire Top for $4,169.
Really hope someone on here can help.
Bluebaby21, Steve777468

Rank V

Aug 21, 2021

Alas, you are not the first to do this. Though the damage looks worse when backing into the garage. I wonder if it would be cheaper and easier to source an entire aftermarket soft top than to repair the factory. Either way, might be worth a call to the insurance company to see if it's worth filing a claim, maybe get a quote from your dealer to repair to help weigh that decision...
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Steve777468, Regularbronco

Rank V

Aug 21, 2021

Tried, the parts guy can't find the Part, said as far as he can see I have to order the entire Top for $4,169.
Really hope someone on here can help.
Just saw your response. Ouch!
Regularbronco

Rank 0

Aug 21, 2021

I talked to a "BestTop"Jeep the company that is OEM supplier for all Jeeps and the Frame Provider for the Bronco, they said they ship out one or two of these a day for Jeeps when people do the same thing I did. They are able to send parts for the Jeep, but Ford won't let them sell parts for the Bronco, have to go to dealer. No problem with that, but when the dealer can't find the part on Ford's system, I'm stuck. I'm probably the unlucky First Bronco owner that Broke his top .
SuperMike, KennyMac

No Ragerts

Aug 21, 2021

That sucks & sorry to hear about the damage.

3M makes some terrific 2 part mixable adhesives for just about every kind of material.

perhaps this is worth a try —>
BTW - if you go this route, you will also need to buy the applicator gun
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Regularbronco, TK1215

Rank VI

Aug 21, 2021

Since you don’t have much to lose, I would try cutting a piece of sheet steel, as thick as will fit, and inserting it behind the broken area, and then replacing the three bolts with self-tapping screws. Once everything is lined up, back the screws out, fit the gap with PC-7, and tighten it back up.
Regularbronco

Rank 0

Aug 21, 2021

Since you don’t have much to lose, I would try cutting a piece of sheet steel, as thick as will fit, and inserting it behind the broken area, and then replacing the three bolts with self-tapping screws. Once everything is lined up, back the screws out, fit the gap with PC-7, and tighten it back up.
Definitely keep this in mind. I do hope someone from Ford can help with the right direction for a replacement. I certainly can attempt a temporary fix though. Thank you for the advice!

Rank 0

Aug 22, 2021

Be interesting thing is this is a part that best top replaces all the time for just the same incident for Jeeps. As it's a common occurrence for that peace to be damaged. I just need for parts department supply that bar, they're screws and it's a separate piece I hate to just make a claim on my insurance throw away a huge large top and it just needs one piece to save it from the landfill seems like a bit of a waste?
KennyMac

Rank 0

Aug 22, 2021

I'm trying to picture this, and I'm pretty handy just a picture guy!

Rank VI

Aug 22, 2021

I'm trying to picture this, and I'm pretty handy just a picture guy!
The metal flange is bolted into the plastic (there are probably molded-in threaded inserts for the bolts to screw in to).
Since that has been ripped out of the bulk of the material, you need something else to attach the flange to. I’m suggesting using a piece of sheet steel on the back side of the plastic. I don’t know what that surface is like, and you might have to carve away the plastic to make the surface flush, but it would lend a lot of strength to the repair. Certainly much stronger than just trying plastic welder (which works well, but not on all plastics). Whatever that material is, I’d bet it’s not easy to repair with any glue. It looks like a glass or fiber-filled resin.

What I’m suggesting is called a “doubler repair” in the biz:
http://www.aeropolis.it/workshop201...iparazione-Materiali-Compositi_Barile-dep.pdf
kimmnen

Rank V

Aug 22, 2021

With the damage you are showing in the pics, It would be surprising if that is the only damage. Are you certain that the other frame components have not been bent or distorted?
My suggestions would be to fully access the tope by making sure it moves, folds, and fits correctly before determining the course of action.
If it's bent or distorted and doesn't close correctly, the prior suggestion to file a claim with your insurance may be the best option.
Otherwise, if it truly is just the connection points on the main bar, then your best short term option is to attempt a repair as suggested earlier in the thread with a steel backer plate.
That would be my choice if in your situation. Good luck.
You can't reason someone out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into.
KennyMac

Gladesmen

Aug 22, 2021

I talked to a "BestTop"Jeep the company that is OEM supplier for all Jeeps and the Frame Provider for the Bronco, they said they ship out one or two of these a day for Jeeps when people do the same thing I did. They are able to send parts for the Jeep, but Ford won't let them sell parts for the Bronco, have to go to dealer. No problem with that, but when the dealer can't find the part on Ford's system, I'm stuck. I'm probably the unlucky First Bronco owner that Broke his top .
Did you ask BestTop for a full replacement? I would do a full replacement and in a few months when you can get the parts for the factory top to repair it then you can sell it to a MIC owner looking for a soft top. I would be interested.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery

Rank 0

Aug 23, 2021

Did you ask BestTop for a full replacement? I would do a full replacement and in a few months when you can get the parts for the factory top to repair it then you can sell it to a MIC owner looking for a soft top. I would be interested.
They aren't authorized by Ford to sell to us owners like they can do with Jeep owners. Pretty frustrating.

Rank 0

Aug 23, 2021

With the damage you are showing in the pics, It would be surprising if that is the only damage. Are you certain that the other frame components have not been bent or distorted?
My suggestions would be to fully access the tope by making sure it moves, folds, and fits correctly before determining the course of action.
If it's bent or distorted and doesn't close correctly, the prior suggestion to file a claim with your insurance may be the best option.
Otherwise, if it truly is just the connection points on the main bar, then your best short term option is to attempt a repair as suggested earlier in the thread with a steel backer plate.
That would be my choice if in your situation. Good luck.
I'll try and look again, but it was the open latches that hit the garage. I opened and closed the top and it all seals and sets properly.

Rank V

Aug 23, 2021

TFL has a video of their BesTop installation on their 4 door Bronco. I'd just get the new BesTop until parts are available (assuming that you don't grow to like the BesTop more than OEM).

Rank VI

Aug 23, 2021

I'm sorry to hear about the damage your soft top took. I have a feeling this will be a common occurrence.
Wildtrak, 4DR, Iconic Silver, High, Camo Seats.

Rank VI

Aug 23, 2021

I would remove the brkn flange parts a epoxy everything brkn back in place. after it cures reassemble, I think it looks worse than it is.
Regularbronco, KennyMac

Rank V

Aug 23, 2021

I would remove the brkn flange parts a epoxy everything brkn back in place. after it cures reassemble, I think it looks worse than it is.
Maybe even see if a local body guy would be willing to attempt a fiberglass repair? Even if the result isn't 100% cosmetically, but works. I bet fiberglass resin would stick to it... have you ever tried your own fiberglass work? It's not hard to make something work, the difficulty is in making it look good. But what do you have to lose?