Nov 15, 2022

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Nov 15, 2022

Borne Offroad Rear Skid Plates: $165.95
Coolant Expansion Tank: $272.95
Aluminum Locking Lug Nuts: $91.95
Performance Intercooler Kit: $1,066.95
Performance Charge Pipe Kit: $432.95

And yes, the Charge Pipes work with both the high mounted intercooler and stock location one, as well as the stock one in general.

Enjoy!
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Hobgoblin, adcam
Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2022

Rank VI

Nov 16, 2022

Can't wait to see real world feedback from the upgraded intercooler and charge pipe! Hope to see some cooler temps that allow better efficiency
MY21 2dr Black Diamond 7MT Velocity Blue!

Nov 16, 2022

In general, they do

Ya gotta remember, the stock unit is garbage, designed for just daily driving in mind. Just looking at the stock unit vs Mishimoto's alone speaks for itself, although below are results.
1668608861795.png

Here's the dyno results for the 2.7 and 2.3,

1668608628418.png
(^)To test the heat dissipation qualities, we stack up to six power pulls on top of each other, with the next starting as soon as the revs return to idle, with no cool-down period. Even through this torture test, our intercooler maintained a 20°F difference under the stock unit.
1668608643554.png
(^)We stacked six power pulls back-to-back to push as much heat through the system as possible for a true test of our improved design. Our intercooler maintained an average heat reduction of 15°F over the OEM unit through each increasingly heated run.

Remember, these #'s DON'T include the Charge Pipes, so it'll run cooler with the full set.

Now I'm holding out for the High mount since I prefer the location and in case I ever get a winch that isn't hidden:
1668608966049.png
So until that's available, I'm just gonna stick with the Charge Pipes alone, since they'll connect regardless.

Also, as far as the rest of the stuff, I've had their Coolant Expansion tank on my Mustang, my friends with Mustangs loved them as well, they thought they were sick, and I might order a set of their Lug Nuts as well, although which color looks good with Bronze rims.

Just my 2 cents on all this.
Mal, IL21Bronco

Trusted and Carefree

Nov 16, 2022

I'm on the fence on replacing the intercooler, largely because of how I plan to use the truck. I totally get why this make sense on the high-rev top end with lots of airflow, but I don't know what to think about the low-end stuff. Do you think you get enough return on the investment at low speed (like when on a trail) to make it worthwhile?
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco
Bronco 202?, Speed Devil

Nov 16, 2022

Mal
I'm on the fence on replacing the intercooler, largely because of how I plan to use the truck. I totally get why this make sense on the high-rev top end with lots of airflow, but I don't know what to think about the low-end stuff. Do you think you get enough return on the investment at low speed (like when on a trail) to make it worthwhile?

It's more a preventive maintenance item if anything, especially if you tune. Again, look at the construction of the units:
then figure pipes are more power as well as cooling, consider you're in a hot state, and before ya know it, it's summer once more and hot as hell out. Even if you're not beating on it like a Speed Devil or Mishimoto with their testing, why not run cooler and just be secure, plus if you decide to do winches, why not a high mount intercooler as well.

IMO, for anything turbo, it's a no brainer mod. Even if HP to $$$ doesn't seem high, you'll run a lot cooler and with a downpipe and tune, you'll be glad to have installed it. All ya really need for her is a a tune, downpipe, dry intake filter and pipes and you're beyond set, unless you're a HP Freak as well.

Again, forget everything else, stock unit looks like trash in comparison, it'll leak within 5 years, do you really want that in your car, falling apart at the wrong moment? That's my take anyway, ymmv
Mal

Nov 16, 2022

Forgot to add the pics of the Charge pipes as well:

1668616481286.png
1668616770450.png
Mishimoto

Stock:
1668616547374.png
1668616562605.png

True, these are the 2.3 pipes and not sure about the stock units, but again, in the long run, which would you rather have?

As a bonus,
"Up to 60% less restrictive than stock for better flow and power potential"
Mal

Trusted and Carefree

Nov 16, 2022

It's more a preventive maintenance item if anything, especially if you tune. Again, look at the construction of the units:
then figure pipes are more power as well as cooling, consider you're in a hot state, and before ya know it, it's summer once more and hot as hell out. Even if you're not beating on it like a Speed Devil or Mishimoto with their testing, why not run cooler and just be secure, plus if you decide to do winches, why not a high mount intercooler as well.

IMO, for anything turbo, it's a no brainer mod. Even if HP to $$$ doesn't seem high, you'll run a lot cooler and with a downpipe and tune, you'll be glad to have installed it. All ya really need for her is a a tune, downpipe, dry intake filter and pipes and you're beyond set, unless you're a HP Freak as well.

Again, forget everything else, stock unit looks like trash in comparison, it'll leak within 5 years, do you really want that in your car, falling apart at the wrong moment? That's my take anyway, ymmv
Thanks man. I haven't monkeyed about with turbos much in my time- almost exclusively been NA mustangs and pushrod V-8s, so still on the learning curve. I watched an install video on these a while back (for the low mount version on a Wildtrak) and had it on my list to think about. Looked like a reasonable project. Thanks Again!
Speed Devil

Nov 16, 2022

Welcome.

Wonder if I can get Mishi to give me a discount with all the promoting I do for them btw? Yeah, I was gonna add a tune after I did the pipes at least, as it was a lot worse on the older Ecoboost Stangs. I'm sure they can handle a Ford Tune quite fine, but again, can you put a price on peace (of mind)?
PSUTE, Mal

Nov 17, 2022

From everyone’s other favorite forum

“Hey Guys!

I just wanted to give this thread a bump for those who might not have already seen it, but our 2.3L Performance Intercooler Piping and Boot kit is now on presale, along with our full intercooler kit!

While we're at it, I just wanted to drop in our latest update on the development, and round off this R&D journey!

Pipeline - 2021+ Ford Bronco 2.3L Performance Intercooler Pipe Kit R&D, Part 4 – Performance Testing

Updating infrastructure is all about preparing for the future. We, as a society, are constantly expanding highways, power grids, and server rooms to prepare for increased bandwidth usage. The story is the same under the hood of any turbocharged vehicle since most enthusiasts are plotting to turn up the boost. The construction of our charged air corridor might have only started back in the spring, but we’re finally ready to open this new high-pressure highway.

Additional volume is essential for tuning turbocharged applications. With the impending wave of oncoming boost, we needed to ensure that the piping system would be equipped to handle everything a performance tune could throw at them. In our *last post* we covered our inner diameter size increases upwards of 1005 over the stock piping, and now we wanted to see how that equates in terms of performance.

NTR_0103.jpg

This big blue box houses an array of air pumps and precise measuring tools that help us pinpoint the differences in flow performance between the stock and our final designs. Make sure you head to our tech post to learn about this vital tool.

Our testing started on the flow bench. For this stage of the process, we tested each side of the piping system separately. This gives us a clear look at our improvements on each part of the system. Compared to the stock piping, we saw a 24.3% reduction in flow restriction on the hot side, with the cold side opening up by 61.7%.

Hot-Side-Flow.png

Cold-Side-Flow.png

With the flow testing complete, we loaded our 2.3L base Bronco, aka Pedro, on the dyno to investigate any bolt-on power. After running the whole gambit of testing on our stock-tuned 2.3L, including our complete intercooling kit, we noted the power numbers remained constant throughout. Likely this is due to the stock MAP-based tuning compensating fueling for the sudden influx of airflow through the system. The added volume and flow are the perfect addition to your 2.3L in preparation for a performance tune and are ideal for optimizing your performance with a tune installed.

NLT_9744.jpg

Even though the increased bandwidth isn’t immediately waiting at the gates for our Bronco, it’s on the way for those looking to squeeze every bit of power from their 2.3L. Updating the intercooling infrastructure is vital to elevating your 4-cylinder Bronco, and we have the right supplies to fortify your charged air pipeline. Grab yours today:

Performance Pipe and Boot Kit, fits Ford Bronco 2.3L, 2021+

MMICP-BR23-21MWBK_1.jpg

For those looking for a full intercooling overhaul, make sure you check out our full intercooling kit as well!

Performance Intercooler Kit, fits Ford Bronco 2.3L, 2021+

MMINT-BR23-21KBSL_1.jpg

Thanks for Reading!

-Nick”
Mal

Nov 17, 2022

Figure the intercooler kit, the CAI, spark plugs, tune and an inevitable downpipe, and our girls will be taking on stock Braptors and scaring Jeeps

Rank V

Nov 17, 2022

I'm in for the IC and pipes! Should work well with the FPP tune and my MF exhaust. Thanks for the head's up for the pre-sale!
Speed Devil

Nov 17, 2022

I'm in for the IC and pipes! Should work well with the FPP tune and my MF exhaust. Thanks for the head's up for the pre-sale!

Anytime, plan on getting all that in December, prioritizing everyone elses gift now and then my own as a birthday gift
adcam

Rank V

Nov 17, 2022

Which CAI are you getting?
Speed Devil

Nov 18, 2022

Which CAI are you getting?

Mishi, go with their dry filter. Should switch it up, but might as well stick with them
Mal, adcam

Trusted and Carefree

Nov 18, 2022

Mishi, go with their dry filter. Should switch it up, but might as well stick with them
Does that come with a pre-filter or no?

Nov 18, 2022

Does that come with a pre-filter or no?

Im not sure
Mal