Finished my grill... and the spending just keeps on coming!

Porkchop4464
Aug 05, 2022

Rank V

Aug 05, 2022

What a pain! Just so others know, if you are buying a separate grill, and I don't mean a take off, pop and go, from another Bronco-Nationer, I mean the factory/dealer, you are going to need a variety of hardware and brackets if you don't want to strip the original grill (which I had to, because I am just knee deep in all of this regarding coin).

There is a top plastic bar/bracket about two feet long attached with four star lug bolts, ten or 12 sliding locking clips that are a true pita to get off, and 4 corner plastic brackets that screw to each edge of the grill.

Anyway: prep, prep, prep, prime, then three coats of rattle base metallic silver and two of clear.

Didn't buy the back lit lights because it would have taken another week or two to get them and I just wanted it all done (I want them so maybe later). I saved 100 and bought the factory white letter ($125 all in).

IMPORTANT! Please read and consider!

Everyone is burning and gluing these letters in. I just couldn’t do that at 25 bucks a letter! Phew! I went to Lowes and bought 12 flat sheet metal plate locks (1/4 by 20). They were 8 dollars for all (two in each plastic bag). I used a socket of the proper size to slide them down the shafts with each letter well supported behind and it worked like a charm. I thought about how the older Chevy bowtie fender engine badges were attached and just copied their idea. Now I can remove the letters whenever I want.

You can also tap the plastic shafts with a die set and use standard nuts or thin hollow fender nuts (also available in the speciality drawer in Lowes), but the flat spring clips seemed cheaper, less time, and more a “factory” finish/feel (just saying).

Now finished, I really love it. I can't believe how much it changes the look of the entire truck. I fell in love with that grill and color from day one of seeing the sales video at 7pm at night when we all were waiting to see this thing for the first time! Remember! I know many of you do!

Granted they showed it on a four-door with no doors, but that grill just sold me, man!

I already ordered the cap letters (had stickers on the first grill).

You will note I need to order one more set of the Hella 6 inch covers down below; my nine-year-old flicked the lights on and the Hella covers actually melted away while driving! Crazy-ass heat (19 dollars a cover! Does it end?)!

Ohh, have to share. To add injury to insult, when I was pulling one of the top 4 inch Hella covers off to wire the top light bar, the case flew out of my hands and the glass shattered!
$38 dollars delivered ! ARHGGGGGGG! I just got the replacement, so gotta finish that all up as well. I haven't even wired the top bar yet; I just tucked the wires into the windshield sleave up top. So I gotta run that wire over to the switch wires (maybe today?).

Attachments

Stone, Bronco Hueso

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Aug 05, 2022

Good job on the grill. Not my flavor but it looks different on your rig!

L.R.
Bronco Hueso

Rank I

Aug 05, 2022

Great idea on the plate locks! I plan to paint my Big Bend grille too, didn’t want to permanently glue the letters back, and was dreading having to cut/drill/tap the letters.
I like the contrast of the silver grille against the dark body. “BRONCO” red lettering would really give a retro look. What color letter caps are you planning?
Porkchop4464

Rank V

Aug 05, 2022

Good job on the grill. Not my flavor but it looks different on your rig!

L.R.
I know, everyone today wants everything black, square, steel, and angular, and I get that but I hate trends. It took me 22 years to watch Friends just b/c everyone loved it so much (I hated it and it wasn't worth the wait) My vision, from day one, has always been more Rough Riders & Hotwheels as this is a complete toy anyway. It will never see hard use. Crap my wife laughs b/c I Armorall the damn bumpers. That's the great thing about this site, many, many ideas and visions.
Bronco Hueso, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Aug 05, 2022

Great idea on the plate locks! I plan to paint my Big Bend grille too, didn’t want to permanently glue the letters back, and was dreading having to cut/drill/tap the letters.
I like the contrast of the silver grille against the dark body. “BRONCO” red lettering would really give a retro look. What color letter caps are you planning?
Bright Orange! Matching my D-rings, once I weld the bungs back into the lower cut RC brackets that I modded to fit my modular bumper I decided not to use. I intend on welding in 2 ten-ton chain hooks, eventually.
Jakob1972

Gladesmen

Aug 05, 2022

Looks good @Porkchop4464
A closeup picture of the letter mounting please I’d like to see that.
My wife is going to call the Bronco, Brokeco after all the mods that will be done.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Deano Bronc, Sdakotabronco

No Ragerts

Aug 05, 2022

Great job @Porkchop4464

Once the mod bug bites, the spending NEVER ends.

There is an old adage in the Jeep community that the brand stands for:
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Deano Bronc, Porkchop4464

Rank V

Aug 05, 2022

Bschurr!

I agree! Thing is, as I tell my wife, I could be sitting on a bar stool, gambling, cheating with another woman or other worse habits; so, I figure, in some ways, although I accept I do have a problem, it is better than some others! Right? Yeah, yeah! If I say it all enough, I will start to believe and accept it myself!
Dirt Dog, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Aug 05, 2022

Looks good @Porkchop4464
A closeup picture of the letter mounting please I’d like to see that.
My wife is going to call the Bronco, Brokeco after all the mods that will be done.
ChickasawNDN, Jakob1972

Gladesmen

Aug 05, 2022

Oh those guys. Thanks
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Porkchop4464

Home, home on the range

Aug 05, 2022

What a pain! Just so others know, if you are buying a separate grill, and I don't mean a take off, pop and go, from another Bronco-Nationer, I mean the factory/dealer, you are going to need a variety of hardware and brackets if you don't want to strip the original grill (which I had to, because I am just knee deep in all of this regarding coin).

There is a top plastic bar/bracket about two feet long attached with four star lug bolts, ten or 12 sliding locking clips that are a true pita to get off, and 4 corner plastic brackets that screw to each edge of the grill.

Anyway: prep, prep, prep, prime, then three coats of rattle base metallic silver and two of clear.

Didn't buy the back lit lights because it would have taken another week or two to get them and I just wanted it all done (I want them so maybe later). I saved 100 and bought the factory white letter ($125 all in).

IMPORTANT! Please read and consider!

Everyone is burning and gluing these letters in. I just couldn’t do that at 25 bucks a letter! Phew! I went to Lowes and bought 12 flat sheet metal plate locks (1/4 by 20). They were 8 dollars for all (two in each plastic bag). I used a socket of the proper size to slide them down the shafts with each letter well supported behind and it worked like a charm. I thought about how the older Chevy bowtie fender engine badges were attached and just copied their idea. Now I can remove the letters whenever I want.

You can also tap the plastic shafts with a die set and use standard nuts or thin hollow fender nuts (also available in the speciality drawer in Lowes), but the flat spring clips seemed cheaper, less time, and more a “factory” finish/feel (just saying).

Now finished, I really love it. I can't believe how much it changes the look of the entire truck. I fell in love with that grill and color from day one of seeing the sales video at 7pm at night when we all were waiting to see this thing for the first time! Remember! I know many of you do!

Granted they showed it on a four-door with no doors, but that grill just sold me, man!

I already ordered the cap letters (had stickers on the first grill).

You will note I need to order one more set of the Hella 6 inch covers down below; my nine-year-old flicked the lights on and the Hella covers actually melted away while driving! Crazy-ass heat (19 dollars a cover! Does it end?)!

Ohh, have to share. To add injury to insult, when I was pulling one of the top 4 inch Hella covers off to wire the top light bar, the case flew out of my hands and the glass shattered!
$38 dollars delivered ! ARHGGGGGGG! I just got the replacement, so gotta finish that all up as well. I haven't even wired the top bar yet; I just tucked the wires into the windshield sleave up top. So I gotta run that wire over to the switch wires (maybe today?).
That looks soo good! Very retro! Love the colors together.
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
Bschurr, Porkchop4464

Rank V

Aug 06, 2022

That looks soo good! Very retro! Love the colors together.
Thanks, Sdakota!

Rank V

Aug 06, 2022

Guys, I am really stuck now deciding betweem the orange and the red. Orange is bright and matches my D rings (which aren't on right now) but the red looks more retro, right?

Rank V

Aug 06, 2022

Oddly, looking up my model image (see below) Ford had it white!

Attachments

ChickasawNDN, Sdakotabronco

Rank V

Aug 06, 2022

Looks awesome
Porkchop4464

Rank V

Aug 06, 2022

You all notice that they also painted the skid plate the same color! Crap! Shoudl I do that to match the bumper? I know the Raptor has a gray bash plate set, but they are steel and my base has a different style set up that is plastic. Might look cool, might look "too much going on."

Rank V

Aug 06, 2022

I tell you, the more I study all the options, the more I like the functional bumper the best. It really has a combo of all the best parts, metal front, plastic sides, interesting D ring setup that is part of the deal, and I guarantee it isn't as heavy as a human being like the damn modular bumper I bought but now have leaning against the wall all wrapped up in my garage.

Pork

Rank V

Aug 06, 2022

Looks awesome
Thanks!

Rank VI

Aug 06, 2022

Guys, I am really stuck now deciding betweem the orange and the red. Orange is bright and matches my D rings (which aren't on right now) but the red looks more retro, right?
Red would be more in line with the original red FORD that come on the early generations. I’m digging the white like ya have it now, too.

You could always do PPF overlays and peel em off if the color is too much…
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top
Porkchop4464

Rank V

Aug 06, 2022

True, the originals were red.