Feds Open Investigation Into Ford Bronco 2.7L V6 Over Catastrophic Engine Failures

Garemlin
Jun 03, 2022

Standing Grumpy Face

Jun 03, 2022

Looks like this may be a little more widespread than the forums make it out to be.

FULL STORY

Following reports from multiple owners, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has opened an investigation into Ford Broncos equipped with the 2.7-liter V6 EcoBoost engine.
SuperMike, Deano Bronc
Last edited by a moderator: Jun 03, 2022

Burrito Connoisseur

Jun 03, 2022

@Garemlin, you forgot to link the article.

Also... investigation resume is available here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2022/INOA-DP22001-4273.PDF

Investigation only applies to the 2021 Bronco. The 2022 Bronco is not being investigated, nor is is the F-150 (which also has the 2.7L engine). Obviously it may expand to other vehicles depending on the results of the investigation. But my guess based on the popularity of the F-150 and the fact that the engine has been used since 2018 in the F-150 that the issue is not widespread.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
AutumnHawk, Mad About Ewe

No Ragerts

Jun 03, 2022

Very interesting. The report only lists a population of 25,538.

D9B7CCBE-9419-45BA-8840-3D2C79A7CEA5.jpeg

According to Ford, there were 54,562 Broncos produced in 2021.

2BA3AD49-7D8C-46DA-B5AC-B90B27C0477B.jpeg

Does this mean that all 2.7L engines aren’t included or that roughly 1/2 of 2021 production was the 2.3L?
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)

Life is a Highway

Jun 03, 2022

I am looking at the number of failures listed in the report, at 32 and my guess is that it doesn’t include any of the later or unreported failures.

Rank III

Jun 03, 2022

I am looking at the number of failures listed in the report, at 32 and my guess is that it doesn’t include any of the later or unreported failures.
32 is the number of people that have filed with the NHTSA. Not everyone that had a blown engine filled out the form.
Deano Bronc

Standing Grumpy Face

Jun 03, 2022

@Garemlin, you forgot to link the article.

Weird link didn't take.

Fixed

Standing Grumpy Face

Jun 03, 2022

Well in a thread on B6G there are 50 reports of 2.7 failures. That is just from members on there.

I personally don't understand what is happening with the 2.7 all of a sudden. The whole time I owned my 2.7 F-150 I never had a single problem. And sure didn't see any widespread reports of failure. And I was on a few forums and FB groups.
RagnarKon

Rank VI

Jun 03, 2022

It's a bad batch of valves, so it's limited to probably 10k vehicles, more or less. The thing that's interesting to watch is this isn't a new issue, in fact it's a year old now, but the response from owners is drastically different a year into it. At first owners wouldn't tolerate the discussion, stating this is the same engine in every other vehicle, like having blinders on. Seems now that it's being investigated, not that there are any more reports to NHSTA in the last several months, people are believing it's an issue. It was an issue a year ago, but Ford wouldn't communicate. Ford still isn't communicating, it's just an investigation by NHTSA, it's not a recall, it's not a TSB, it's not a communicated issue to owners. So, it's just a, relatively, quiet inquiry, into an issue that's been going on for a year. Another opportunity Ford had to be proactive, but a lost opportunity.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Broncofly, TK1215

Rank IV

Jun 03, 2022

Perhaps I should be happy that manual forced me into the I4 2.3? Thirty two out of tens of thousands seems small, or no?
2021 Black Diamond - 2Door - Black - Manual
Res: 09/20 Order: 01/21 Delivered: 12/21

Rank VI

Jun 03, 2022

@DrLove, that's 32 reported to NHTSA, not 32 our of tens of thousands. We're also talking about a limited number, probably not tens of thousands, because we're not talking about all Broncos. We're talking about Broncos with a 2.7L engines, manufactured between May and October (or some specific period of time). So, we're talking ~30,000 vehicles manufactured in that period, some percentage of them being 2.7L (say 50%), is probably 10,000 - 15,000 effected Broncos. So, even if we're talking about dozens, what's an acceptable failure rate?

50:15000 is three out of every one thousand. Are three catastrophic failures out of every 1,000 vehicles sold an acceptable risk? If the period of time is fewer, by even a month, or a couple of weeks on either end, we might be looking at 50:10,000 which is five out of one thousand. Remembering too that 50 is the number reported on an Internet forum, not how many actual failures there have been. Is greater than 5 failures per thousand acceptable? If you walked into a dealership and the salesman told you that they'd sell you a brand new Bronco, for only $10k over MSRP with a catastrophic engine failure rate of five per thousand, what would your reaction be?
nano77

Life is a Highway

Jun 03, 2022

It's a bad batch of valves, so it's limited to probably 10k vehicles, more or less. The thing that's interesting to watch is this isn't a new issue, in fact it's a year old now, but the response from owners is drastically different a year into it. At first owners wouldn't tolerate the discussion, stating this is the same engine in every other vehicle, like having blinders on. Seems now that it's being investigated, not that there are any more reports to NHSTA in the last several months, people are believing it's an issue. It was an issue a year ago, but Ford wouldn't communicate. Ford still isn't communicating, it's just an investigation by NHTSA, it's not a recall, it's not a TSB, it's not a communicated issue to owners. So, it's just a, relatively, quiet inquiry, into an issue that's been going on for a year. Another opportunity Ford had to be proactive, but a lost opportunity.
Nice to see the federal agency has announced their investigation…a year later. Hopefully they started it last year and are just announcing it now. I know it takes a while to gather all the information. Not a new story but I am curious to see the findings and whether or not there will be a recall or not. Does anyone have any idea as to the threshold number that is required to actually trigger a recall? Its easy for me to not worry as I still wait, but there are a lot of people with engines built in that batch period of time. It has to be more than a lingering thought…We will see
Bschurr, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jun 03, 2022

Check your dipstick boys and girls……check those 2.7L dipsticks!!! I have an incorrect length dipstick…….I know this sounds odd/funny but it’s true! It’s a hot topic that’s surfaced in the last couple weeks and sure enough, my FE has this issue. A new part number has been issued by Ford, the old Dipstick (like my current one), has an “H” at the top. The new updated stick has a Triangle logo.

***This was taken from that other forum for reference***…….alas…..my FE has this issue. I haven’t touched my oil since driving my Bronco off the lot and couldn’t figure out until now why my oil level was above the curve on my current dipstick…….well, until now.
F10844E4-06B0-4EAE-975E-A0C3AA9E7BC8.jpeg
A big square Lightening Blue FE with puffy tires.....and a CB antenna for good measure! ;-)
RETmed14!, Deano Bronc

Rank 0

Jun 09, 2022

from Ford Authority June 6th.....
As Ford Authority reported back in January, a number of Ford Bronco owners have had major issues with their twin-turbocharged 2.7L V6 EcoBoost powerplants, to the point where three owners recently filed petitions seeking an investigation from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) into these problems, while 12 others have filed complaints related to that matter as well. Now, sources familiar with the matter have explained to Ford Authority that there are two main sources for these issues, which have led to total engine failure in certain cases.

As some are already aware, part of the problem with these 2.7L powerplants is that they utilize cheaper, sub-optimal valves that were acquired from a new supplier that apparently didn’t properly validate those particular components. But in addition to the faulty valves, the Bronco’s version of the 2.7L V6 EcoBoost also utilizes a less than optimal oil pan design as well, which allows the oil pickup tube to become uncovered and suck in air, which in turn can destroy not only valves, but bearings as well, particularly during spirited or erratic driving when oil is sloshing around inside the powerplant.

These issues aren’t exactly new to The Blue Oval, which experienced similar problems with the twin-turbo Ford 3.0L V6 EcoBoost engine used in the Ford Explorer ST, which is essentially a bored and stroked version of the 2.7. Now, those problems are once again surfacing in certain examples of the sixth-generation Bronco, too.
With a grand total of 32 Bronco owners filing complaints related to engine failure thus far, Ford noted in its NHTSA filing that 25,538 SUVs could ultimately be affected by this issue. So far, affected customers claim that their vehicles experienced a loss of power while driving at highway speeds, after which the Broncos would not restart due to catastrophic engine failure.

"less than optimal oil pan design" ?? o_O

SuperMike, AcesandEights

Life is a Highway

Jun 09, 2022

from Ford Authority June 6th.....
As Ford Authority reported back in January, a number of Ford Bronco owners have had major issues with their twin-turbocharged 2.7L V6 EcoBoost powerplants, to the point where three owners recently filed petitions seeking an investigation from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) into these problems, while 12 others have filed complaints related to that matter as well. Now, sources familiar with the matter have explained to Ford Authority that there are two main sources for these issues, which have led to total engine failure in certain cases.

As some are already aware, part of the problem with these 2.7L powerplants is that they utilize cheaper, sub-optimal valves that were acquired from a new supplier that apparently didn’t properly validate those particular components. But in addition to the faulty valves, the Bronco’s version of the 2.7L V6 EcoBoost also utilizes a less than optimal oil pan design as well, which allows the oil pickup tube to become uncovered and suck in air, which in turn can destroy not only valves, but bearings as well, particularly during spirited or erratic driving when oil is sloshing around inside the powerplant.

These issues aren’t exactly new to The Blue Oval, which experienced similar problems with the twin-turbo Ford 3.0L V6 EcoBoost engine used in the Ford Explorer ST, which is essentially a bored and stroked version of the 2.7. Now, those problems are once again surfacing in certain examples of the sixth-generation Bronco, too.
With a grand total of 32 Bronco owners filing complaints related to engine failure thus far, Ford noted in its NHTSA filing that 25,538 SUVs could ultimately be affected by this issue. So far, affected customers claim that their vehicles experienced a loss of power while driving at highway speeds, after which the Broncos would not restart due to catastrophic engine failure.

"less than optimal oil pan design" ?? o_O

It has been posted regarding the wrong dipstick, but this is the first I’ve heard regarding the oil pan issue. Can you post a link to the article or video cited containing this information, I would really like to read up on this development. Thanks in advance for the information. (y)

Rank VI

Jun 09, 2022

It has been posted regarding the wrong dipstick, but this is the first I’ve heard regarding the oil pan issue. Can you post a link to the article or video cited containing this information, I would really like to read up on this development. Thanks in advance for the information. (y)

https://fordauthority.com/2022/06/ford-bronco-2-7l-v6-ecoboost-engine-failures-explained-exclusive/
It doesn't have any good citations though.
TK1215, phillyfx4

Life is a Highway

Jun 09, 2022

Life is a Highway

Jun 09, 2022

I had read it when it came out and missed that aspect of the article. Thanks @phillyfx4 and @AcesandEights !

Life is a Highway

Jun 09, 2022

It’s so easy when you have a topic that has been around and reported on, to speed read through it and not catch any new information contained inside. Thanks again guys!

Rank V

Jun 09, 2022

You mean 'Sources familiar with the matter...' isn't good enough? ;) :ROFLMAO:

Given that "Ford noted in its NHTSA filing that 25,538 SUVs could ultimately be affected by this issue", my guess is that someone with the NHTSA snitched.

I guess if the reason I've not gotten my Bronco yet is because they've had to re-design dipsticks and oil pans, I'm OK with it...
Wildtrak ⁞ 4 DR ⁞ HOSS 3.0 ⁞ Area51 ⁞ Lux+Leather ⁞ Tow ⁞ MIC+Sunrider Top ⁞ Res 5/11/21, Rec'd 9/30/22
RETmed14!, AcesandEights

Rank V

Jul 08, 2022

Great info everyone! thanks for sharing,,,My Build date finally has arrived.. 2.7 BLKDMD Aug 15th!