Family is trying to eventually get in the bronco family with the sport and possibly the bigger one later couple questions

Will1234
Dec 31, 2021

Rank III

Dec 31, 2021

We have an escape se 2017 right now with the 2.0. With lease we were paying roughly 350 a month, 12,000 miles etc. Any trim that is roughly comparable to that? we could go one trim down if its something we dont need a save some money too,

I personally feel that they should have used a 2.0 base engine instead of the 1.5 but how has fuel been for everyone as well as reliability? I heard the 1.5 was not great in the escape over the 2.0?

Has anyone encountered any recalls or tsbs? I saw a mechanical walkthrough of one and imo Ford has some things to fix and some things I could live with totally

Any info would be appreciated
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2021

Burrito Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2021

I have a 2020 Ford Escape with the 1.5L EcoBoost. It is effectively the exact same vehicle as the Bronco Sport with a different outer skin.

There are two 1.5L EcoBoost engines. The older one is the 4-cylinder engine and has been known to have rather significant issues related to engine coolant intrusion. It was an option in the Escape and many other smaller Ford vehicles from 2015-ish up until 2019. The newest one, and the one in the Bronco Sport and in my Escape, is a 3-cylinder engine. Thus far I haven't had any issues with it. I get 29-30 MPG easily... and if I baby it I can easily push it to 36 MPG.

It is a little too early to know if the new 3-cyl 1.5L EcoBoost is reliable or not. Ford has included it in their European vehicles since 2017/2018 and there haven't been any significant issues that I'm aware of. But 5 years isn't a whole lot of time in the grand scheme of things. It should be a lot more reliable than the 2.0L EcoBoost in your Escape (which also had coolant intrusion issues). And conventional wisdom says it should be better long-term than the newer twin-scroll 2.0L EcoBoost in the Bronco Sport due to the fact that the 1.5L is port injection while the 2.0L is direct injection. But... it is hard to know for sure.

Rough mapping table between the Bronco Sport and Escape:
  • Escape S = Bronco Sport Base
  • Escape SE = Bronco Sport Big Bend
  • Escape SEL = Bronco Sport Badlands
  • Escape Titanium = Bronco Sport Outer Banks
It isn't a perfect 1-to-1 match obviously... the Bronco Sport has a LOT more focus on off-road performance than the Escape does, so in many ways they're not really comparable. But if we're focusing on technology packages and interior comfort... that's how I would line them up.

---

EDIT: Just to clarify... the 2.0L EcoBoost in the Bronco Sport Badlands is the same 2.0L EcoBoost in your Escape. Ford has since slightly modified the engine to resolve the coolant intrusion issue I was talking about. Here is a link to the TSB: TSB 19-2346
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon

Rank III

Jan 01, 2022

I have a 2020 Ford Escape with the 1.5L EcoBoost. It is effectively the exact same vehicle as the Bronco Sport with a different outer skin.

There are two 1.5L EcoBoost engines. The older one is the 4-cylinder engine and has been known to have rather significant issues related to engine coolant intrusion. It was an option in the Escape and many other smaller Ford vehicles from 2015-ish up until 2019. The newest one, and the one in the Bronco Sport and in my Escape, is a 3-cylinder engine. Thus far I haven't had any issues with it. I get 29-30 MPG easily... and if I baby it I can easily push it to 36 MPG.

It is a little too early to know if the new 3-cyl 1.5L EcoBoost is reliable or not. Ford has included it in their European vehicles since 2017/2018 and there haven't been any significant issues that I'm aware of. But 5 years isn't a whole lot of time in the grand scheme of things. It should be a lot more reliable than the 2.0L EcoBoost in your Escape (which also had coolant intrusion issues). And conventional wisdom says it should be better long-term than the newer twin-scroll 2.0L EcoBoost in the Bronco Sport due to the fact that the 1.5L is port injection while the 2.0L is direct injection. But... it is hard to know for sure.

Rough mapping table between the Bronco Sport and Escape:
  • Escape S = Bronco Sport Base
  • Escape SE = Bronco Sport Big Bend
  • Escape SEL = Bronco Sport Badlands
  • Escape Titanium = Bronco Sport Outer Banks
It isn't a perfect 1-to-1 match obviously... the Bronco Sport has a LOT more focus on off-road performance than the Escape does, so in many ways they're not really comparable. But if we're focusing on technology packages and interior comfort... that's how I would line them up.

---

EDIT: Just to clarify... the 2.0L EcoBoost in the Bronco Sport Badlands is the same 2.0L EcoBoost in your Escape. Ford has since slightly modified the engine to resolve the coolant intrusion issue I was talking about. Here is a link to the TSB: TSB 19-2346

Thanks. Base or big bend would probably be fine ie cloth seats, radio, engine etc. Maybe a few extras. Ive sat in both broncos and felt the sport had a bit better interior layout other than the screen. I also hate the tablet sized screens in cars so im glad they are not huge.

From a drivetrain standpoint id prefer a 4 over a 3 often due to it carrying weight,going offroad etc. Im all for downsizing and not everything needs a v8 etc.
fldavis41

Burrito Connoisseur

Jan 01, 2022

Thanks. Base or big bend would probably be fine ie cloth seats, radio, engine etc. Maybe a few extras. Ive sat in both broncos and felt the sport had a bit better interior layout other than the screen. I also hate the tablet sized screens in cars so im glad they are not huge.

From a drivetrain standpoint id prefer a 4 over a 3 often due to it carrying weight,going offroad etc. Im all for downsizing and not everything needs a v8 etc.
If you want the 4-cylinder you'll be forced into the Badlands trim. The other trims only come with the 1.5L 3-cyl.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon