Don't delete

Aug 22, 2020
Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Lowell
Member #

I learned to drive a MT on my Dad's 1975 Corvette. It had a similar collar to get to the reverse gear, so I'm familiar with mechanism. That thing had the stiffest clutch I've ever felt. Pretty sure driving that car was a better leg workout for my left leg than doing squats!

GaryB2220

Rank V

Champion III

Jul 8, 2020
Wellsboro, PA, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Berkheimer
Member #

Nice! I was wondering if the stick was going to have a collar. My very first manual had a collar, which I didn't know exist, and I couldn't figure out how to get my car in reverse. Lol. The guys at the dealership laughed with me

• Haha
Reactions: Deano Bronc

Mal

Rank V

Supporter III

May 21, 2020
Albuquerque NM
Member #

hmm. There was a collar like this on my old mercury. It was just a tube that pushed against a tab to keep you from executing a "reverse slam" at speed. I removed the mechanism for some "I can't leave well enough alone" type reason. I suppose if this collar is a similar design, one could eliminate it. Not really sure why you would do that, but I guess you could.

GaryB2220

Rank V

Champion III

Jul 8, 2020
Wellsboro, PA, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Berkheimer
Member #

hmm. There was a collar like this on my old mercury. It was just a tube that pushed against a tab to keep you from executing a "reverse slam" at speed. I removed the mechanism for some "I can't leave well enough alone" type reason. I suppose if this collar is a similar design, one could eliminate it. Not really sure why you would do that, but I guess you could.
It's less a tube and more a ring. Without it, I don't know what you would be able to hold onto to put the vehicle in reverse or crawler gear. Without pulling that safety mechanism up, you won't be able to use those gears. How did you put your mercury in reverse? (Please tell me it was a grand marquis)

Mal

Rank V

Supporter III

May 21, 2020
Albuquerque NM
Member #

How did you put your mercury in reverse? (Please tell me it was a grand marquis)
It was a '99 cougar with a 5 speed. It had a raised tab that kept the Shifter from moving over into reverse. When you pulled the collar, it would raise the assembly enough to clear the tab and get into gear. When all that was removed, it would just slot over. It was pretty low tech, but worked as a safety stop so long as you didn't take it apart.

I want to say my wife's VW has something similar on it, but I don't recall.

I have seen the kit to put a T-5 in an grande marquis. Those Panther-body cars were just like ginormous fat fox-body mustangs. I always thought that would have been a fun thing to play about with, but not enough money laying around to hot rod grandpa's car.

Deepshag

Rank VI

Don't delete

Jul 13, 2020
Campbell, CA
First Name
Shag
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

Volvo used the reverse collar activation in their manual drive cars in the "80s and with an overdrive button on the top of the stick itself.
1607129128047.png

skoro

Rank 0

Advocate II

Dec 6, 2020
Texas
First Name
David
Last Name
Skourup
That 7 spd with the crawler gear looks really attractive to me. But I think the wife would veto it.