Engine Swap Questions

vhoven
May 03, 2022

Rank 0

May 03, 2022

Hi,

I don't know a lot about mechanics but I have an 5.0L '89 Eddie Bauer Bronco that's been in the family for 3 generations now and means the world to me. I need to replace my engine because it recently blew after constantly burning/leaking both oil and coolant. I'm looking to replace it with a crate motor or a budget friendly improvement in the ford family and am wondering about what my options are, tips you might have, any good engine repair shops in the San Diego or Las Vegas area, and any other info you can give me. I'm a purist, so I'd like to keep it looking as original as possible...for example things like preserving the gauges and making them compatible with the replacement engine or finding replacement gauges that look period correct.

Thanks in advance,
Victoria
Porkchop4464

Moab or bust!!!

May 04, 2022

Hi,

I don't know a lot about mechanics but I have an 5.0L '89 Eddie Bauer Bronco that's been in the family for 3 generations now and means the world to me. I need to replace my engine because it recently blew after constantly burning/leaking both oil and coolant. I'm looking to replace it with a crate motor or a budget friendly improvement in the ford family and am wondering about what my options are, tips you might have, any good engine repair shops in the San Diego or Las Vegas area, and any other info you can give me. I'm a purist, so I'd like to keep it looking as original as possible...for example things like preserving the gauges and making them compatible with the replacement engine or finding replacement gauges that look period correct.

Thanks in advance,
Victoria
Welcome to Bronco Nation! I think it is great that you want to keep a family tradition alive and well.
I'm going to move your thread into the proper area. You'll have a better chance of getting your questions answered.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.

Rank VI

May 04, 2022

So, 89 was a complicated year. There are some great options from the era (lots of period examples with 5.0l mustang power trains). You will need to either use one of the aftermarket EFI and Exhaust options or adapt a harness and sensors from a similar year Mustang to get the right MAF or equivalent intake sensor and electronics. There are probably current day options to make the swaps easier. It’s a great candidate for some high power and reliable swaps. You didn’t mention transmission preference, but some good options, auto or manual, depending on your budget.
vhoven, KennyMac

No Ragerts

May 04, 2022

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
Victoria
You should reach out to Count’s Kustoms in Vegas…
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
KennyMac

Rank V

May 04, 2022

You should reach out to Count’s Kustoms in Vegas…
Well, there was no budget limitation mentioned...
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Bschurr

Rank 0

May 04, 2022

Well, there was no budget limitation mentioned...
Ah yes I heard purists loveeee that place lol.

As for budget, I’m a college student…my grandma will be helping me out to get it started but I want to pay her back for it all so I’m trying to spend as little as possible while still making run reliably and sound good and all
KennyMac, Deano Bronc

Mud,Sweat and Gears

May 04, 2022

Get a long block.They run about 1800-2000

Rank V

May 04, 2022

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
Victoria

You could consider going 351. In many cases the engines are identical and you could get that additional 50 cubes for torque and The Rah, Rah, Rah!
Mattwings