Drop-down tailgate mod

hkbooner
Mar 22, 2022

Rank III

Mar 22, 2022

I am definitely not a fan of the rear door on the new Bronco and would love to be able to modify the door to make it a drop-down tailgate. Has anyone seen a thread addressing this or have plans to do this? I know they have a mod for the jeep that makes it a drop-down but I am curious if this is even feasible with the Bronco as it sits. I don't have mine yet and have not looked at any close enough to see if it is something that could be done. I would, of course, have to get the swing-out for the spare, or just remove the spare from the back entirely. Thanks for any info (or direction to another forum covering this...I did search).
'22 Bronco WT, CG, 4dr, 2.7L, SAS, Lux, Leather, Tow, PPF
Order 7/20/21 & 10/8; VIN 12/22; Blend 3/26/22; Purchased 4/23
Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2022

Burrito Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2022

Feasible for sure, but it wouldn't be a bolt-on component. Would require some fabrication work.

I don't know anyone currently who is doing something like that, but wouldn't surprise me if someone tries to do it in the future. I also wouldn't be surprised if Ford does this themselves in a potential future heritage special edition of the Bronco.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
Deano Bronc, hkbooner

Rank VI

Mar 22, 2022

I am definitely not a fan of the rear door on the new Bronco and would love to be able to modify the door to make it a drop-down tailgate. Has anyone seen a thread addressing this or have plans to do this? I know they have a mod for the jeep that makes it a drop-down but I am curious if this is even feasible with the Bronco as it sits. I don't have mine yet and have not looked at any close enough to see if it is something that could be done. I would, of course, have to get the swing-out for the spare, or just remove the spare from the back entirely. Thanks for any info (or direction to another forum covering this...I did search).

This was mentioned on B6g, probably over a year ago. Hell, I'm one of those who wishes Ford gave us the drop down tailgate (would've made the ass end feel LESS like a Jeep).

Anyways, supposedly Jeep already has this, and I didn't care for it. I'll see if I can dig it up in a search real quick. BRB

Edit:
1 brand (looks cheesy as hell)
https://www.swagoffroad.com/products/swag-jk-drop-down-tailgate-conversion-kit
Edit #2:
Might only be Swag who made it. I didn't like the exposed hinges at the bottom. Looks horrible in my opinion.

Edit #3:
They may have banned my IP address over there, but I can still grab the link to 1 of the threads about it... ;)

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/drop-down-tailgate-mod.37091/
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.
Deano Bronc, hkbooner

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Mar 22, 2022

And lose the spare? No thanks
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics

Rank VI

Mar 22, 2022

And lose the spare? No thanks

Maybe if everything wasn't made out of aluminum they could've done a swing out tire carrier like previous gen Broncos.
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.
Speed Devil, hkbooner

Mar 22, 2022

Maybe if everything wasn't made out of aluminum they could've done a swing out tire carrier like previous gen Broncos.

They really went after Jeep with this one though

Rank III

Mar 22, 2022

They really went after Jeep with this one though
Ya, they did and I think that it was the wrong direction...if we wanted a Jeep then we'd get a Jeep, ha!
Speed Devil, EvlNvrDys

Mar 24, 2022

Ya, they did and I think that it was the wrong direction...if we wanted a Jeep then we'd get a Jeep, ha!

But I don't like having to constantly correct my steering on the highway xD
JoergH, hkbooner

That's a terrible idea, when do we start?

Mar 25, 2022

But I don't like having to constantly correct my steering on the highway xD
Yup, I just got back from Hawaii and I rented a jeep while I was there. You REALLY have to concentrate with those dang things, they wander all over the road otherwise.
4 Door BadSquatch | Soft-top | Velocity Blue | 2.7 Auto | Towing | Lux | Leather
Deano Bronc, Darrel

Rank V

Mar 25, 2022

I had to drop down tailgate on my first Bronco every once in awhile if I hit a bad bump it would open up and all my empties would fall out.
JoergH, Darrel

Rank III

Mar 25, 2022

I had to drop down tailgate on my first Bronco every once in awhile if I hit a bad bump it would open up and all my empties would fall out.
Because THAT is how it SHOULD be done! (y)(y)(y)
FatbikerJo Bronco

Rank IV

Mar 25, 2022

Those were the days, I have one just like it!

Rank IV

Mar 25, 2022

Those were the days, I have one just like it!
Correction "had"
FatbikerJo Bronco, Deano Bronc