Disappointing Range on 2D Broncos

Soupcook
Jul 05, 2021

Rank VI

Jul 05, 2021

With the very small gas tank and MPG around 18mpg, it looks like the driving range is less than 300 miles/tank. Every 250 miles I will be filling the tank again. I'm OK with the mileage but would love to have at least 350 miles on a tank (I still think 400 mile range should be the target for modern vehicles).
7/14: Outer Banks, Eruption Green, Lux Package, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Roof Rack, Towing Package, HD Modular front bumper, AUX switches
KennyMac, Dove Canyon Badlands
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 05, 2021

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jul 05, 2021

18 mpg is being optimistic. The average will be lower and the 4dr even worse. You never get what the they say on the sticker.You would think an offroad vehicle would have a large tank.
KennyMac, Mountainwiitch

Rank V

Jul 05, 2021

That's what's pushing me to change my order to a 4 door, sadly. Either that or go non-squatch. There's really no good off-roading nearby, so, it makes for a decent road-trip, and that little gas tank in the 2dr + Squatch. Ooof...We'd be stopping for fuel/pulling over to fill it up from the Jerry Can more than enjoying the trip. Not that the 4 door will be much better on fuel economy, but, it at least has a bigger tank in it.
2dr Badlands, Velocity Blue, Lux Package, Squatch
Bronc96, Jsh4081

Libations MOD

Jul 05, 2021

It's an offroad vehicle, not a luxury travel SUV, I didn't get it for the MPG. If I was worried about MPG I definitely would have taken other options
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
bdawson24, joshyboy691

Rank V

Jul 05, 2021

I don't think anyone's worried about the MPG per se. I'm not anyways (Hell, I drive a 4Runner and that sucker can be a thirsty beast!) It's more wondering why the 2dr only has a 16.9 gallon tank in it. MPGs are fine, like you said, it's an off-roader, but, it would've been nice to have had the larger tank like in the 4dr.
2dr Badlands, Velocity Blue, Lux Package, Squatch
red_blazer, Soupcook

Wank ER

Jul 05, 2021

I can almost hear people saying....I'd be nice if the 2 door was a 4 door.
2021 FE Cactus Grey
DRWright, cf_davey

Rank 0

Jul 05, 2021

I'm with you on this, you'll be reminded more often how much your spending on gas. I'd be going twice a week for fill ups with my average driving.
Soupcook, Speed Devil

Rank III

Jul 05, 2021

I'm with you on this, you'll be reminded more often how much your spending on gas. I'd be going twice a week for fill ups with my average driving.
Only going to get worse.
Soupcook

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jul 05, 2021

It's an offroad vehicle, not a luxury travel SUV, I didn't get it for the MPG. If I was worried about MPG I definitely would have taken other options
True, my Willys only has a 10 gallon tank and 4.88 gears never run out of gas.Don't go far with it either, top speed is 69 mph. But for winter travel I like to have gas in the tank in case I get stranded.The tank should be bigger.
bdawson24, Soupcook

Rank VI

Jul 05, 2021

I see Rotopax in my future. It was one of the first issues I needed to figure out and have a solution. For me, this will work and stay within the roof weight limit.
714FD7D3-B648-47F0-BF4F-53A3B58C9F49.jpeg
bdawson24, KennyMac

Rank V

Jul 05, 2021

I see Rotopax in my future. It was one of the first issues I needed to figure out and have a solution. For me, this will work and stay within the roof weight limit.
View attachment 15195

I should probably suck it up and plan for that, but I don’t want my fuel on my roof lol
I’ve been eyeballing spare tire jerry can mounts. That just makes the most sense IMO. But I’m also planning on being lazy and using my transfer pump without removing the jerry fan from its mounted location. With +\- 600 miles per week driving, I need solutions that limit my trips to the gas station. I wish they’d just allow an extended range fuel tank option on the 2dr
Soupcook, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jul 05, 2021

I should probably suck it up and plan for that, but I don’t want my fuel on my roof lol
I’ve been eyeballing spare tire jerry can mounts. That just makes the most sense IMO. But I’m also planning on being lazy and using my transfer pump without removing the jerry fan from its mounted location. With +\- 600 miles per week driving, I need solutions that limit my trips to the gas station. I wish they’d just allow an extended range fuel tank option on the 2dr
Just one item to consider, weight.
A full jerry can(s) on your spare may stress your rear tailgate and tire mount.
KennyMac, Soupcook

Rank V

Jul 05, 2021

Hmmm good point.
The only FoMoCo-approved accessory for jerry cans is the rooftop can mount rn. Which I find silly.

I REALLY want a set of Rotopax Rollpax if they’ll fit in the cab. The most ideal solution is to add a second, smaller fuel tank underneath the vehicle and use an aux switch to switch back and forth, like the good old days when OSHA reps filled their own gas with cigarettes on their lips.
SlashRacer, Soupcook

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jul 05, 2021

If the tire carrier can't take a 5 gallon can full of fuel (45 pounds approx) its not heavy enough. I want to mount a can for transporting diesel, that crap stinks and I don't want it inside.
Someone makes a nice bumper with jerry can mounts for Toyota Land Bruisers, need one of those.
Soupcook, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Jul 05, 2021

Hmmm good point.
The only FoMoCo-approved accessory for jerry cans is the rooftop can mount rn. Which I find silly.

I REALLY want a set of Rotopax Rollpax if they’ll fit in the cab. The most ideal solution is to add a second, smaller fuel tank underneath the vehicle and use an aux switch to switch back and forth, like the good old days when OSHA reps filled their own gas with cigarettes on their lips.
Innovation is good. Be very careful. Fuel is heavy and dangerous. I know my off-road plans and the extra fuel will be good for me. Like most off-roaders, I will transfer the fuel in the Rotopax to the tank as some as possible. My fire extinguisher would have a problem with spare fuel fire in an auto accident.
Soupcook

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jul 05, 2021

Innovation is good. Be very careful. Fuel is heavy and dangerous. I know my off-road plans and the extra fuel will be good for me. Like most off-roaders, I will transfer the fuel in the Rotopax to the tank as some as possible. My fire extinguisher would have a problem with spare fuel fire in an auto accident.
Attend an SCCA fire school and learn how to put out car fires.(y)

http://www.conqueror4wd.com/product...Carrier_and_Jerry_Can_Holder-Rear_Bumper.html
Deano Bronc, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Jul 06, 2021

600 miles per week?!?! I may recommend a helicopter to save you time lol

In all seriousness I understand and agree. I wish Ford had option for upgraded fuel tank capacity. I have 38 gallon tank on my truck now and love it
MY21 2dr Black Diamond 7MT Velocity Blue!
Soupcook, Speed Devil

Rank 0

Jul 06, 2021

Maybe Ford needs a 3L V6 diesel option for overlanding.
Soupcook, AcesandEights

Rank V

Jul 06, 2021

Someone will come out with a larger aftermarket tank at some point. They're usually not cheap and is usually money better spent just on more fuel than the tank lol.
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
built 3/11/22, delivered 4/16/22
Dove Canyon Badlands, Soupcook

Rank V

Jul 06, 2021

I’m used to a 36gal tank on my F150 (2012) and 17mpg.
20.8gal on the Bronco with estimated 18-22mpg is going to be a bit of a harsh adjustment, but then again I went into this plan with no mind towards fuel economy.

Maybe we will see the 2022 Bronco II. LOL
Bronco Outer Banks, 4-Door, Sasquatch, Eruption Green, Soft Top, 2.7L, Lux Equipment, Leather Roast Trim, Modular Bumper
Soupcook