Dealer placing order based off reservation

Flourman
Jan 21, 2021

Rank VI

Jan 21, 2021

I saw on that “other site” that dealers are placing orders based on reservations before even speaking to the dealer. Well this happened to me. I got an email from Ford, thanking me for my reservation and it was completely different than what I had even reserved let alone what I planned on ordering.

I called them immediately and we got it squared away with the correct order and build.

Why are dealers doing this?
Bronc96, Deano Bronc
Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2021

Rank III

Jan 21, 2021

You received an email from Ford of an order confirmation?

I'm guessing but to justify an increased allocation, so they can sell Broncos with mark up.
Better to ask forgiveness than permission. If a dealer is dinged for not completing an order from a reservation, they'll likely make it up with ADM.

Rank VI

Jan 21, 2021

You received an email from Ford of an order confirmation?

I'm guessing but to justify an increased allocation, so they can sell Broncos with mark up.
Better to ask forgiveness than permission. If a dealer is dinged for not completing an order from a reservation, they'll likely make it up with ADM.

Yeah. I got an email from Ford. Dealer is not charging above MSRP.

Rank III

Jan 21, 2021

Did you ask the dealer why they converted your reservation to an order without contacting you?

Rank VI

Jan 21, 2021

Did you ask the dealer why they converted your reservation to an order without contacting you?

I did. He mentioned something about his junior guy putting in things to get ahead. It was some dealer speak that I didn’t really retain. They changed everything so I was good with it. Kind of crappy if I wanted to move dealers. Good thing I didn’t.
AcesandEights, GToddC5

Rank V

Jan 21, 2021

I too saw this on the "other site"...Ha! Quite a lengthy thread over there with this happening to many. I have a good relationship with my dealer as the owner is a childhood friend of my wife's. So, I trust what they are telling me because they have not steered me wrong in previous purchases. However, the thread led me to look into my Ford account and I too was showing an "in store order" that I had not completed. Spoke to the owner after discovering this. It seems Ford is putting information out to dealers that they need to get their orders in as soon as possible to keep their current allocations. So, they have put in "place holders" for each of their MY21 allocated orders and plan to then finalize with each buyer. I discussed with him that the information out publicly is stating that final allocations won't be calculated until after the March 19 cutoff and also the concern that once these "place holders" are input...we the buyer may no longer be able transfer dealers. He knows I'm not going anywhere else but stated they were working within the parameters they were given. Quite concerning to hear this as we have been led to believe something different.
Jakob1972, Flourman

Rank VI

Jan 21, 2021

Yeah, I'm good with my reservation converted to an order; however, I was told earlier that the dealership wouldn't convert it to an order until after reviewing the build with me. That didn't happen. I haven't heard from my dealer since last week, but logged into my account and saw the order, then received an email from Ford that it was ordered. I didn't plan to move my order, but expected something different in the process, to match how it was explained.

I believe the dealers are converting reservations to maximize their allocation, and my dealer stated previously that they were hoping all of their reservations converted in anticipation Ford would increase their allocation based on a higher conversion rate. Based on that statement, I think they are just converting them all without customer input. If someone cancels, they'll probably retain the order and sell the vehicle with ADM. I don't know how Ford would know the order was cancelled by the customer (say in a phone call between the dealer and customer) prior to the order, as the dealer is just putting them in to increase their allocation. The dealer could say that the customer refused the vehicle at time of pick up. My dealer didn't request any build/buy paperwork and didn't ask for any deposit. I think that is so there is no "contract" between the dealer and customer. If the dealer accepted money, it would create a contract between customer and dealer. They don't want that, the paper trail. They want to receive all of the ordered vehicles, whether there is a customer waiting or whether the customer "cancelled" prior to the reservation/order conversion.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jan 21, 2021

Yeah, I'm good with my reservation converted to an order; however, I was told earlier that the dealership wouldn't convert it to an order until after reviewing the build with me. That didn't happen. I haven't heard from my dealer since last week, but logged into my account and saw the order, then received an email from Ford that it was ordered. I didn't plan to move my order, but expected something different in the process, to match how it was explained.

I believe the dealers are converting reservations to maximize their allocation, and my dealer stated previously that they were hoping all of their reservations converted in anticipation Ford would increase their allocation based on a higher conversion rate. Based on that statement, I think they are just converting them all without customer input. If someone cancels, they'll probably retain the order and sell the vehicle with ADM. I don't know how Ford would know the order was cancelled by the customer (say in a phone call between the dealer and customer) prior to the order, as the dealer is just putting them in to increase their allocation. The dealer could say that the customer refused the vehicle at time of pick up. My dealer didn't request any build/buy paperwork and didn't ask for any deposit. I think that is so there is no "contract" between the dealer and customer. If the dealer accepted money, it would create a contract between customer and dealer. They don't want that, the paper trail. They want to receive all of the ordered vehicles, whether there is a customer waiting or whether the customer "cancelled" prior to the reservation/order conversion.

definitely a way to get around the “no dealer stock” deal.
Bronc96, AcesandEights

Rank V

Jan 21, 2021

Posted on the other site and supposedly from Ford. An announcement from Ford is said to follow shortly...

"We're aware of a small number of Bronco reservations mistakenly converted to orders by a small number of dealers. Reservation holders must provide consent to convert to an order, and we encourage all customers to have a discussion with their dealer on the terms of the sale before placing an order. If the customer is unable to resolve their concerns directly with their dealer, they can call the Ford Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-334-4375 to change their order back to a reservation and maintain their timestamp, change their selected dealer to a new dealer, or both. We also are reminding our dealers of this policy."
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jan 21, 2021

So I sent my dealer my build and asked them to please convert to order. Next thing I know my reservation status changed to order so I figured all was good. Soon after I realized after order the dealer is supposed to send a build list to us and pricing. I got nothing so I reached out to my dealer asking what the status of my order was and was told the following: “your order was received however it is locked due to a commodity restriction and cannot be accessed, the factory is aware of this and we will let you know when the situation is resolved” I am completely lost now as to what this means... I didn’t order any late availability options or anything like that. Anyone have any insight? I have no clue what’s going on....
Bronc96, Sven