Champion III

Feb 22, 2021
Eatontown, NJ, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
F
Member #

Woke up to find out that a comment I made a week or two ago on a thread over at the 'other' forum was deemed to be 'political' even though I don't think iii was - resulting in an outright ban - I'm bummed because I do enjoy being part of both communities here and there. Sure, I had 2 previous posts/comments over the past 2 years that I had gotten a hand slap for - but to go to a 'ban' for this seems excessive, especially considering the more relaxed atmosphere over there. They do have a lot of good info and I'm truly bummed I can't access it any more.

bummer in the summer
1662405068211.png

RagnarKon

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 28, 2021
New England
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
W
Member #

On both forums pretty heavily. Definitely like the "vibe" here better... but obviously the other site has substantially more users and therefore more content.

Anything that remotely enters the political/controversial realm instantly gets swept up and deleted over there. I'm not surprised honestly, when the forum first launched they were a lot more lax... but obviously people are on a hair trigger when in comes to politics these days, and a few posts went really sideways and got WAY out of hand. One started out with a disagreement between a dealer and their customer over pricing, somehow that turned political, and 5-6 hours later we had death threats against dealership management. Lately it seems like their tactic is just to instantly lock/delete any topic that has any inkling of politics.

If I were to guess, they just don't have enough staff to effectively moderate the forum, so to prevent things from getting out of control they just default to "delete" and "ban".

MarkPS

Rank IV

Don't delete

Mar 6, 2022
Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Spangler
On both forums pretty heavily. Definitely like the "vibe" here better... but obviously the other site has substantially more users and therefore more content.

Anything that remotely enters the political/controversial realm instantly gets swept up and deleted over there. I'm not surprised honestly, when the forum first launched they were a lot more lax... but obviously people are on a hair trigger when in comes to politics these days, and a few posts went really sideways and got WAY out of hand. One started out with a disagreement between a dealer and their customer over pricing, somehow that turned political, and 5-6 hours later we had death threats against dealership management. Lately it seems like their tactic is just to instantly lock/delete any topic that has any inkling of politics.

If I were to guess, they just don't have enough staff to effectively moderate the forum, so to prevent things from getting out of control they just default to "delete" and "ban".
That's fairly typical of social media sites, as the population increases you get more folks, and more folks mean more chances for folks to get insulted or triggered. Kinda hard to blame the mods. It makes their job easier if they put it out there they won't stand for political thread drift.

I mean it's supposed to be for information, but having a little fun, mixed in makes for a better site. You shouldn't be out in public or on a social media site if you don't have maturity, can't respect others opinions, and have some thick skin. I try to avoid the maturity part though.

Reactions: jimFish

Advocate II

Sep 3, 2022
Bar Harbor, ME, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
The kids over there have pretty thin skin and seem to get their rocks off banning people, especially if you tell any of their paid sponsors about the absolute garbage products they sell you. It’s all about the money and the perception of power in their tiny dark corner of intellectual self pleasure on the internet. Don’t really care if I get banned from a forum. I have my opinions, I’m not scared to express them. If anyone has a problem with that, why should I care. If someone really wants to get back into a forum, email addresses and VPN exit nodes are in no short supply.

FWIW, this forum seems like a carbon copy thread for thread of the other one, yet supposedly has different admins and is more laid back. All that over-moderation didn’t seem to have any effect in the long run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chief1301

RagnarKon

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 28, 2021
New England
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
W
Member #

That's fairly typical of social media sites, as the population increases you get more folks, and more folks mean more chances for folks to get insulted or triggered. Kinda hard to blame the mods. It makes their job easier if they put it out there they won't stand for political thread drift.

I mean it's supposed to be for information, but having a little fun, mixed in makes for a better site. You shouldn't be out in public or on a social media site if you don't have maturity, can't respect others opinions, and have some thick skin. I try to avoid the maturity part though.
Yeah it's the fundamental problem with social media. Once an online community reaches a certain number of users it comes less of a "community" and more like a "crowded square". Once you get to the "crowded square" stage it usually becomes an unpleasant place to be.

I like hangin' out with several dozen people who share similar interests as I do. Don't like hanging out thousands of people in the middle of Disney World.

M4Madness

Rank II

Advocate III

Jan 29, 2022
Indiana
First Name
David
Last Name
Hicks
I've been a member of a particular online community for over 21 years. That forum has a membership of over a half million, and I was one of the staff tasked with making sure the day-to-day operations ran smoothly, and had the often-coveted "ban member" button at my disposal. Yes, I used that button a lot, but the majority of the time, it was 72-hour bans that expired, giving the member a second chance. I reserved the permanent bans mostly for the conmen who ripped people off in the classifieds. Thankfully, that site doesn't prohibit political discussions, so I didn't have to stifle that. Lol!

Having a ban button carries a huge responsibility, and it is often misused by overzealous administrators. Does the other board have the option of temporary bans, or do they always throw away the key?

I had a couple of posts over there that were deleted recently in which I criticized a paid sponsor's customer service (and the admin never answered my PM), but so far I've kept my cool enough to avoid being booted from the site.

Reactions: 14U and BuckYeah

Advocate II

Sep 3, 2022
Bar Harbor, ME, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
To be fair, the Bronco community seems to be about as shallow as the Jeep community. Both forums are filled with artificial, self promoting wannabe content creators more interested their own aesthetic than anything. It’s no surprise the people who call bullshit on this farce get banned. Aftermarket parts makers are doing a good job cranking out good looking garbage while taking advantage of the vapid millennial mindset of most. Money’s flying everywhere and lots of people in both forums are the stooges getting taken for a little vanity. They deserve it in my opinion. There are some good folks, but they’re in short supply. Appreciate the moderators trying to help everyone get along but truth is most of you would never hang out with most of you. I don’t see the point of having a community just so people can masturbate about whether to order a Badlands or a Raptor. Back in my day, auto communities were more about nuts and bolts, and mechanical innovation rather than the latest stupid Mabette testicle massager accessory. Funny what this generation calls a community. That is the problem. I’ll see myself out.

MarkPS

Rank IV

Don't delete

Mar 6, 2022
Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Spangler
To be fair, the Bronco community seems to be about as shallow as the Jeep community. Both forums are filled with artificial, self promoting wannabe content creators more interested their own aesthetic than anything. It’s no surprise the people who call bullshit on this farce get banned. Aftermarket parts makers are doing a good job cranking out good looking garbage while taking advantage of the vapid millennial mindset of most. Money’s flying everywhere and lots of people in both forums are the stooges getting taken for a little vanity. They deserve it in my opinion. There are some good folks, but they’re in short supply. Appreciate the moderators trying to help everyone get along but truth is most of you would never hang out with most of you. I don’t see the point of having a community just so people can masturbate about whether to order a Badlands or a Raptor. Back in my day, auto communities were more about nuts and bolts, and mechanical innovation rather than the latest stupid Mabette testicle massager accessory. Funny what this generation calls a community. That is the problem. I’ll see myself out.
Wow, ya know they're doing just woooooooonderful things with the decaffeinated brands these days. ;)

That's quite the broad brush stroke of human nature you're painting there. Cars are a hobby that brings disparate groups of folks together with a common bond. I frequent classic car shows whenever possible, and you see all types getting together sharing their love/common interest in cars. Rednecks, bankers, doctor types, men, women, black, white, they ALL hang out together, and the shared love of cars shows thru in their interactions standing over an open engine bay. Whether it's just the love of a particular car or the mechanical high they get looking at a 600 HP monster motor chained into an engine bay.

There have always been unscrupulous people, and car parts sellers, they're just more visible, and exposable now because of the interwebz.

Talking about whether to get a Big Bend, Raptor, Badlands, et all is exactly what this site is about. It's discussing the brand, and platforms. looking for insight, and help from others who have insight they might not have right now. Not much different than what I see on a Saturday morning at the local car show swap meet.

I'll give you this, your avatar captures your mood pretty well brah. Hopefully show myself out didn't mean you'r'e leaving the site. You probably have lots of great insight to share, and that's always welcome.

Last edited:

TK1215

Rank VI

Champion I

Jan 1, 2021
Maricopa, AZ
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Kiely
Member #

I’m not gonna comment on anyone else’s shallowness or masturbatory habits, lest I look in the mirror. Curious though as to which build you ended up getting and do you have any specific travels planned for it?

EvlNvrDys

Rank VI

Champion I

Sep 1, 2021
Milford, NJ 08848
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Bradley
Member #

Woke up to find out that a comment I made a week or two ago on a thread over at the 'other' forum was deemed to be 'political' even though I don't think iii was - resulting in an outright ban - I'm bummed because I do enjoy being part of both communities here and there. Sure, I had 2 previous posts/comments over the past 2 years that I had gotten a hand slap for - but to go to a 'ban' for this seems excessive, especially considering the more relaxed atmosphere over there. They do have a lot of good info and I'm truly bummed I can't access it any more.

bummer in the summer
Welcome to the club... Club Banned! We are a small but growing crew. To be honest though, you aren't truly banned until you have been IP Banned! Yes, that is me. I believe it took (3) different emails/usernames being banned for me to finally be IP banned. Which then took one more account to be IP banned at work as well. Now I have to use my Nord VPN just to venture over there... go figure.

Anyways, don't sweat it. Sure they do have more information due to more members. But at the same time, they also have way more annoying people, bunch of little sissy crybaby whiners over there! I only go there to visit the group buy thread I started a few years back, that's where the cool kids are ;)