Crank in Gear

srick76
Feb 05, 2021

Rank VI

Feb 05, 2021

So what makes "crank in gear" a benefit to list under the features of the 7 speed manual? I understand hill decent control although with the manual I assume it will only work if you are in crawler gear or 1st otherwise it would buck and stall out if the RPM's got too low, but crank in gear...? Do modern manuals disable the starter if it's in gear? The last manual I owned was a 99 mustang and the manuals I had before that also allowed you to turn the key without the clutch in, although I never did it cause it would jump forward and run someone down. So what and how exactly would the ability to crank it in gear benefit me? And does that mean it will also start or does it just jump forward? If it cranked and actually started I'm guessing the benefit would be to help you out in the middle of nowhere and your clutch goes...you could still start it. It will be interesting to see what you guys have to say. I like to be knowledgeable about all the features my vehicles have and since I ordered the manual this has me thinking about where and how it would be used.
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 05, 2021

Rank VI

Feb 05, 2021

So what makes "crank in gear" a benefit to list under the features of the 7 speed manual? I understand hill decent control although with the manual I assume it will only work if you are in crawler gear or 1st otherwise it would buck and stall out if the RPM's got too low, but crank in gear...? Do modern manuals disable the starter if it's in gear? The last manual I owned was a 99 mustang and the manuals I had before that also allowed you to turn the key without the clutch in, although I never did it cause it would jump forward and run someone down. So what and how exactly would the ability to crank it in gear benefit me? And does that mean it will also start or does it just jump forward? If it cranked and actually started I'm guessing the benefit would be to help you out in the middle of nowhere and your clutch goes...you could still start it. It will be interesting to see what you guys have to say. I like to be knowledgeable about all the features my vehicles have and since I ordered the manual this has me thinking about where and how it would be used.
It’s used by the auto start/stop I think.

Rank 0

Feb 06, 2021

Actually its a technique you use when off-roading, specifically when climbing or descending, and say you stop and stall the truck on a climb, a failed hill climb in other words, with the engine off, engage reverse, and you can crank in gear while letting off the brake slightly to get the truck moving in reverse in a controlled manner.
You never touch the clutch. Nor risk being in neutral while engaging a gear and rolling back.. things happen fast in those situations.

works the same way descending forward.. stall the truck and restart in gear without the clutch. Allows you to 2 foot the truck in a controlled manner.

Its a pretty handy technique for a manual transmission

edit: Most modern cars/trucks require you to have the clutch in to start as a safety feature.. there may be a button to enable it but the jeep doesn't have one so I am thinking the bronco won't either.
Darrel, Gutter Clown

Rank VI

Feb 09, 2021

Actually its a technique you use when off-roading, specifically when climbing or descending, and say you stop and stall the truck on a climb, a failed hill climb in other words, with the engine off, engage reverse, and you can crank in gear while letting off the brake slightly to get the truck moving in reverse in a controlled manner.
You never touch the clutch. Nor risk being in neutral while engaging a gear and rolling back.. things happen fast in those situations.

works the same way descending forward.. stall the truck and restart in gear without the clutch. Allows you to 2 foot the truck in a controlled manner.

edit: Most modern cars/trucks require you to have the clutch in to start as a safety feature.. there may be a button to enable it but the jeep doesn't have one so I am thinking the bronco won't either.
OK sort of makes sense if you are say going up hill, stall and then want to crank in gear to continue up the hill. But if you are in a forward gear and the truck stalls and you want to back down, going from that forward gear to reverse would potentially expose you to being in neutral for a second as you go from say 1st to reverse engine running or not correct?

Rank VI

Feb 09, 2021

You wouldnt use it that way. You would just put it in reverse.

As stated above, it just helps so you dont have to engage the clutch and brake at the same time as you turn the key, then immediately get your foot off the brake to the gas while letting the clutch out enough to hold it and not stall it again. You wouldnt do it that way if you wanted to back down.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
srick76

Rank VI

Feb 09, 2021

cool thanks guys. I'll have to give it a try to test it out prior to having to use it.

Rank IV

Feb 09, 2021

http://www.ukoffroad.com/tech/climbing.html
Stalled engine descent (PRACTISE THIS ON A TAME HILL FIRST).
As soon as the engine stalls, or is about to, press the brake pedal firmly to hold the vehicle - press the brake FIRST not the clutch.
Depress the clutch and select low reverse gear.
Release the clutch pedal.
Check your steering is straight and quickly view the route back down.
Slowly release the footbrake - the vehicle should remain stationary on the engine compression.
Start the engine whilst holding the steering wheel firmly with one hand - we don't normally start the engine in gear, but in this case, it is in the interest of maintaining traction and control. Be prepared for the vehicle to jolt as the engine starts and then allow the vehicle to descend without resort to touchng the accelerator. If the vehicle begins to slide or lose traction, just briefly and gently press the accelerator sufficiently to match the wheel and ground speed to regain control again.

Running engine descent (PRACTISE THIS ON A TAME HILL FIRST).
Just before the vehicle completely loses traction press the brake and clutch pedals together and select low reverse gear.
Check your steering is straight and quickly view the route back down.
Hold the vehicle on the brake pedal and slowly release the clutch until almost engaged then release brake and clutch together gently.
Allow the vehicle to descend without resort to touchng the accelerator, unless the vehicle begins to slide or lose traction - in that event just briefly and gently press the accelerator sufficiently to match the wheel and ground speed to gain control again. You should resist the temptation to brake as this can cause the vehicle to slide sideways and you can then get very quickly into a rollover situation.

Beware wet clay as it clogs tread. This Land Rover can go no futher, despite having mud terrain tyres.
It was easier to walk without shoes also.
Darrel, rlynch356

Rank V

Feb 09, 2021

Nice explanation, I was wondering the specifics myself. I converted my 79 to manual, so no clutch switch (intentionally for this reason), and I added a hand throttle on the shifter, together makes a huge difference in a bind on a technical trail.
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Darrel, Deano Bronc

Rank 0

Feb 10, 2021

The UKoffroad guys have a good explanation of it!..

Coming from a defender manual transmission owner, doing this for 20 years or so... that nailed it.. failed hill climbs can be non-events (back up ...try a different line) or tragic. Anyway. always a good idea to practice this stuff with an I4WDTA trainer..
srick76, Khayze427

Rank VI

Jan 15, 2022

Here’s a great video on when it is used. Start in Gear
BL EG 7MT 2.3L Lux O-=====-O Michigan
Order: 10/26/21, Blend: 8/8/22, Built: 8/30, Driveway: 9/20/22

Rank VI

Jan 16, 2022

I used it a few weeks ago. It’s fantastic, and used as described in the other posts.

I neglected to put on lockers, stalled in a “not so comfortable location”. Engage f/r lockers. In 4L, crawler gear, just hit the button and go. Don’t even need to think about the clutch.
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top
Crawler Green, Darrel

Rank VI

Jan 31, 2022

According to the owners manual, it has to be in 4L to use the crank in gear feature. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.