Coyote Swap

Black Ops Bronco
May 15, 2022
Black Ops Bronco

May 15, 2022

I’m looking for a good shop in the Parker area that can do a Coyote swap on my ‘77 Bronco.

Attachments

Darrel, Jakob1972

No Ragerts

May 16, 2022

Subscribed - this sounds like fun!
0D97414F-9455-431B-963B-BDF666B92D4E.gif
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
LoneRanger, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

May 16, 2022

Wow, how much does that even cost? Sounds like loads of fun!
Black Ops Bronco

May 16, 2022

Wow, how much does that even cost? Sounds like loads of fun!

From the research I’ve done, around $20k to $30k
KD6TAV

Rank VI

May 16, 2022

From the research I’ve done, around $20k to $30k
Wow, I couldn't afford that, so I will just live vicariously thru you! Please post pics!
Black Ops Bronco

May 16, 2022

Wow, I couldn't afford that, so I will just live vicariously thru you! Please post pics!
Thanks and will do. What year is your Bronco? Is there a Bronco meet up in the Parker area?

Rank VI

May 16, 2022

Thanks and will do. What year is your Bronco? Is there a Bronco meet up in the Parker area?
My Bronco has yet to be built. Ordered last July! Keeping fingers crossed for build date release this week or next or whenever Ford determines that I am worthy.
Black Ops Bronco

May 17, 2022

My Bronco has yet to be built. Ordered last July! Keeping fingers crossed for build date release this week or next or whenever Ford determines that I am worthy.
Congrats on your (someday) Bronco! I took delivery of my First Edition late last year. Full of issues so I sold it ten days later. The longer you wait, the better chance you have of them getting all the bugs worked out. I wasn’t impressed. Although, because I ordered two Broncos, Ford offered to upgrade me to a Bronco Raptor but the GM at Groove Ford on Arapahoe sold my allocation out from under me for a $30k profit. He said “I’m not in the business to sell people Broncos just for them to turn around and sell it ten days later”. So I’m happy to just drive around in my ‘77 Bronco. I spent two years rebuilding it from the ground up and it runs and drives like new. I’m taking delivery on my 2022 Tesla model Y Performance next week, so that will offset the 8mpg I get in my old Bronco! Good times…
Darrel, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

May 17, 2022

Well, I am sorry to hear about your bad luck with the FE. You are right about the longer I wait, the better the Bronco, however I wonder if Ford is actually doing anything to rectify the ongoing issues that people are having. Get the Bronco delivered then let the warranty and the dealership work on the bugs. Its got to be easier for them in the long run. I like your 77, it is one year younger then me, 8 mpg per gallon . . . wow! Just don't rev your engine and you might make it home from the gas station. Keep us all appraised of you swap, you might get better mileage with the Coyote!

Gladesmen

May 17, 2022

Beautiful ‘77 @Black Ops Bronco.
But if you spent all this time rebuilding it why not put the Coyote in there yourself? If you are not the first person doing it it really isn’t too bad. I stuffed the motor out of a ‘97 Freightliner FL70 into my 04 F250 it took a little time but I had 0 help and working in my gravel driveway. But to say I did it is very satisfying. Not judging either way you go, just throwing it out there.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Black Ops Bronco

May 18, 2022

Well, I am sorry to hear about your bad luck with the FE. You are right about the longer I wait, the better the Bronco, however I wonder if Ford is actually doing anything to rectify the ongoing issues that people are having. Get the Bronco delivered then let the warranty and the dealership work on the bugs. Its got to be easier for them in the long run. I like your 77, it is one year younger then me, 8 mpg per gallon . . . wow! Just don't rev your engine and you might make it home from the gas station. Keep us all appraised of you swap, you might get better mileage with the Coyote!

I agree, I really hope your Bronco shows up perfect. Which one did you order? What color?

I’m sure my Coyote swap will save MPGs, plus the 400hp with 10 speed automatic won’t upset me either. I actually researched doing a EV swap but I can’t wrap my head around giving up that V-8 rumble. It would just be wrong.
Bschurr, Deano Bronc
Black Ops Bronco

May 18, 2022

Beautiful ‘77 @Black Ops Bronco.
But if you spent all this time rebuilding it why not put the Coyote in there yourself? If you are not the first person doing it it really isn’t too bad. I stuffed the motor out of a ‘97 Freightliner FL70 into my 04 F250 it took a little time but I had 0 help and working in my gravel driveway. But to say I did it is very satisfying. Not judging either way you go, just throwing it out there.

That sounds like a huge job! Did you say FL70? Nice!

To clarify, all I’ve personally done to my Bronco is install power windows, new lighting, new interior, new seat belts, amp research power steps, new door hardware, vent windows and mirrors; the small stuff. Everything else I paid different shops to do, and often times they’d screw it up and I’d take it somewhere else to have it redone. It was torn down and in body/paint for over a year. When the guy was finished he said “you know, probably should have done your Coyote swap while we had this all apart”. Thanks for telling me now… ‍♂️

What I’ve learned is that it’s not a destination but a journey that never ends. That’s what makes classics so great; whether it was built in 1966 or 2022, the Bronco will forever be a classic.
Darrel, Jakob1972

Rank V

May 18, 2022

For what it would cost to do a coyote conversion you could do a 351w that would have equal power and be a bolt in.
Jakob1972

No Ragerts

May 19, 2022

For what it would cost to do a coyote conversion you could do a 351w that would have equal power and be a bolt in.
LOL
And have $20k left over for the next project…
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)

Mud,Sweat and Gears

May 22, 2022

I agree, the 351 would have bottom end you want in a 4 wheeler and is cost effective.But a 347 would fit the same as 302 they put in Broncos.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/best-ford-small-block-crate-engines-347ci-363ci-408ci-427ci/

Burrito Connoisseur

May 22, 2022

I’m sure my Coyote swap will save MPGs, plus the 400hp with 10 speed automatic won’t upset me either. I actually researched doing a EV swap but I can’t wrap my head around giving up that V-8 rumble. It would just be wrong.
My brother and his buddies are really into engine swaps. Lately they’ve been doing some EV swaps, and they were looking at doing a EV swap one of their Broncos. Sounds like it really isn’t feasible without dumping tons of money into it. From what they said it’s easier to do an EV swap on trucks than SUVs since trucks have a higher payload, and the new Bronco (unlike the older Broncos) are more SUV than truck.

They were also looking at doing an LS swap on the Bronco, but wouldn’t be possible without shifting the drive train around a lot. They'll probably do it eventually but hard to justify spending money on stuff right now with the cost of everything. So at the moment their working on a junkyard Wrangler TJ build.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
Jakob1972

Gladesmen

May 22, 2022

My brother and his buddies are really into engine swaps. Lately they’ve been doing some EV swaps, and they were looking at doing a EV swap one of their Broncos. Sounds like it really isn’t feasible without dumping tons of money into it. From what they said it’s easier to do an EV swap on trucks than SUVs since trucks have a higher payload, and the new Bronco (unlike the older Broncos) are more SUV than truck.

They were also looking at doing an LS swap on the Bronco, but wouldn’t be possible without shifting the drive train around a lot. They'll probably do it eventually but hard to justify spending money on stuff right now with the cost of everything. So at the moment their working on a junkyard Wrangler TJ build.
Yup they put an LS in everything. I think I have seen a smart car with an LS.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery

Rank V

May 23, 2022

Yup they put an LS in everything. I think I have seen a smart car with an LS.
Getting a headache following this thread, lol, and I even have an Z06 with an LS7.
Jakob1972