Consumer reports hammers the 2020 Wrangler

paul rondelli
Feb 12, 2021

Rank VI

Feb 12, 2021

So much for the Bronco's main competition. I won't get into my feelings on the Jeep and whole "duck" culture …. because Jeep you just got the ultimate form of "ducked".

1613146618429.png

Attachments

Slownstddy, Shadowblade
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2021

Rank VI

Feb 12, 2021

I don't know how that works now, but in the past they would survey owners about things that broke or were replaced. If you put a lift on your vehicle, the score would go down as having to replace steering and suspension components. A highly-modifiable vehicle would score lower because of that. Again, I don't know the specifics of the 2021 Wrangler, but in the past the Wrangler did poorly but it wasn't because it was inherently less reliable; rather, it was because the owners chose to "upgrade" lighting, mechanical components, audio, etc.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Shadowblade, Brongo

Rank IV

Feb 12, 2021

JD Powers report is based on consumer surveys, their own auditors, and warranty information.
Jakob1972, Bronc96

No Ragerts

Feb 12, 2021

Ouch! I had no idea the new Jeeps are so poorly rated.

I own a couple of Jeeps - a 2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock with 30k trouble free miles and an 05 TJ 2 door that I use to plow in the winter and and the kids enjoy cruising top off in the summer with 157k miles. Normal maintenance for me & both super reliable. Perhaps the new JL is just crap!

118D5FC1-08C6-40C2-BFEB-3CAA750CAF5F.jpeg

Totally stoked about my Bronco order but waiting is the hardest part!
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
meandeane, Shadowblade

Rank V

Feb 12, 2021

I just read that any Jeep ordered with a manual transmission is being delayed at least 6 months because of problems. Not only that but any Jeep 2019 or newer with a manual transmission is being recalled, and to top it off any Jeep on a dealers lot with a manual transmission is now unable to be sold.
4DR BL-Cactus Gray - Sas - 2.7 - 10 Spd - Lux - Soft Top
Res 7/14 - Ord 1/20 - VIN 8/26 - Sticker 10/12 - Blend 10/18
GToddC5, Shadowblade

Rank VI

Feb 12, 2021

Haha, until the 15 minute software update is completed. It's a non-issue.

There is no defective part. The issue stems from a design specification that is remedied through a software update. Impacts 36.5k Wranglers and 6k Gladiators
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
KennyMac, Shadowblade

Rank VI

Feb 13, 2021

My daughter had a JL for a week before she took it back , had electrical issues and other problems. She ended up getting a 4Runner, which she will be trading in on her new Wildtrak :cool:
Ordered: 4-Door First Edition - Rapid Red - Black Seats - MIC Top - Build Date: 10/25
In Garage: ‘62 Red Vette - ‘07 Black Shelby Ragtop - ‘21 F150 Platinum PowerBoost - Rapid Red
Shadowblade, Ian Lacasse

Rank IV

Feb 13, 2021

I still haven't forgiven Consumer Reports for driving up my insurance in the 90s with their fraudulent claims about the Suzuki Samurai.

Suzuki vs Consumer Reports
Bschurr, Shadowblade

Rank V

Feb 13, 2021

My daughter had a JL for a week before she took it back , had electrical issues and other problems. She ended up getting a 4Runner, which she will be trading in on her new Wildtrak :cool:
My coworker and neighbor has a 2014 Rubicon and traded it in for a 2016 because of electrical issues and a shitty manual transmission. He just sold his 2016 Rubicon because of similar electrical problems and leaking roofs panels ordered a Jeep 392 for delivery he hopes this spring. That will run him a cool $78K+. Crazy. No car is perfect but Jeeps sure have a bad reputation. I'm no Jeep hater, I just get to hear the complaints almost daily for 6+ years. And he still threw away $78K:eek:.

Hope the Bronco isn't plagued by similar issues.
4DR BL-Cactus Gray - Sas - 2.7 - 10 Spd - Lux - Soft Top
Res 7/14 - Ord 1/20 - VIN 8/26 - Sticker 10/12 - Blend 10/18
Bschurr, Rgwinn

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Feb 13, 2021

Haha, until the 15 minute software update is completed. It's a non-issue.

There is no defective part. The issue stems from a design specification that is remedied through a software update. Impacts 36.5k Wranglers and 6k Gladiators

Is that the software "fix " that reduces performance when the clutch starts overheating ?
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
Bschurr, Shadowblade

Trusted and Carefree

Feb 13, 2021

My coworker and neighbor has a 2014 Rubicon and traded it in for a 2016 because of electrical issues and a shitty manual transmission. He just sold his 2016 Rubicon because of similar electrical problems and leaking roofs panels ordered a Jeep 392 for delivery he hopes this spring. That will run him a cool $78K+. :eek:.
Thats quite a lot of loss on the trades too. Well, I guess you can't take it with you, but there are a whole lot of very expensive bourbons I would rather try than finance 3 trades in 6 years.
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco
Bschurr, Pakrat

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Feb 13, 2021

Consumer Retorts has a habit of being wrong.
Rate good stuff bad, bad stuff good and the ever popular Isuzu and Suzuki Consumer Reports scandal.
I haven't trusted them since the 70s anyway.
Shadowblade, Bronc96

Rank VI

Feb 13, 2021

I have a buddy who owns a 2020 Gladiator and loves it. Prior to that, he owned two Land Rovers. He feels the Gladiator is much more reliable than the Land Rovers. I guess most things in life are relative.

I can understand the passion drivers feel for getting off-road and seeking adventure. Sometimes you just need to take the best you can get and overlook the problems.

Even if our Broncos have issues, I suspect the joy we experience will far outweigh any problems. (I bet most Jeep owners would say the same!)
KennyMac, TK1215

Rank VI

Feb 13, 2021

Well said Buzzy and agree is relative. I would never buy a Jeep but not because I am concerned with reliability, is because I am not a Jeep guy. I am a lifelong Bronco enthusiast. I am sure there are quite a few Jeep diehards that feel similar about their rigs.

In the end these are purpose built enthusiast vehicles and I am sure most of the target market will not be dissuaded from buying due to what C/R says. For the record though...I think the Bronc will do fine in the reliability dept. :)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
Deano Bronc, TK1215

Rank V

Feb 13, 2021

I have a buddy who owns a 2020 Gladiator and loves it. Prior to that, he owned two Land Rovers. He feels the Gladiator is much more reliable than the Land Rovers. I guess most things in life are relative.

I can understand the passion drivers feel for getting off-road and seeking adventure. Something you just need to take the best you can get and overlook the problems.

Even if our Broncos have issues, I suspect the joy we experience will far outweigh any problems. (I bet most Jeep owners would say the same!)
Very well said
TK1215, BuzzyBud

Rank V

Feb 13, 2021

They're comparing it to vehicles like the RAV4 so of course it won't have the MPG or handling of a crossover. But the reliability is a problem.

Rank VI

Feb 13, 2021

They're comparing it to vehicles like the RAV4 so of course it won't have the MPG or handling of a crossover. But the reliability is a problem.
Yep, not sure most of us expect stellar MPGs from these type of vehicles but can't be any worse than my full size Bronc, lol.

The Jeep manual trans recall would be a concern. Seems the reprogram solution is a cheap fix for an application that really requires a more robust clutch. Hope Ford has a better design for the Bronc.
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
TK1215, BuzzyBud

Trusted and Carefree

Feb 13, 2021

INMHO- All the car reviews like this are geared towards a commuter car. In defense of Jeep thats not really what it is or is designed for. If I had the crappy commute I had in DC (3 hours to go 30 miles)- any thing other than a comfortable car with a good entertainment suite is going to get low marks.

My old CJ8 was not really great for on pavement driving- It topped out at 60, had a non-syncroed 1st gear so around town it was functionally a three speed, with the top off you were in the elements- with it on you were in a ham can, it was non-power brakes, and the tire noise from the 32" M/T's was terrible. If you weren't moving in the summer, it was hot as hell. In the winter, the heater core would routinely fill with air and stop working. It also had lap belts and exposed bolts on the dash. My wife called it "3WC" short for third-world country because it was loud, dangerous and on road she was always kinda vaguely sick.

That was not why I drove it. We could drive right out on the beach and grill out of the back. I never met a hill the CJ with a t-18A and rear locker couldn't climb. I ran it all over mountains and trails when we were stationed in Hawaii, camped out of the back and had a very good time with a bunch of great Jeep guys that I met running trails.

None of those things I can do in the Hybrid Sedan I drive now, though she has never given me a lick of trouble, is comfortable, quiet, and gets 41MPG. Which one is Consumer reports likely to rate higher? Which one am I going to regret parting with long after its gone?

Sure the CJ decided to blow all the oil out the crankcase through the dipstick tube for no good reason on a drive in the middle of nowhere. Sure the rear brakes failed on a mountain decent. Sure It was a constant fight against rust meaning I was always doing bodywork. All of that plus a billion other things were a major league pain at the time, but in retrospect that was "part of the charm" I guess. Don't get me wrong, I no longer want to fool about with maintenance issues like that ever again, but these kind of "figure out how to fix it if you want to get home" issues were part of the reason I had such a connection to that truck. After a while, I knew what every noise and vibration meant (and what it would mean for my afternoon plans). I never got there with my F series truck (the computer hid all the maintenance issues until they were catastrophic). Not making excuses for bad engineering or design here- loads of those on a CJ- but they were designed to be simple, strait-forward machines and the more one tarted them up, the worse they got. I think maybe some of that is what the Wrangler reviews are about, but I will confess to feeling that quality control is definitely slipping at Daimler-Chrysler (or at least thats my impression).

I guess that connection with the vehicle is what the Jeep community (or the Mustang Community, or the Rover guys or any vehicle with a passionate following) has that can't really be scored on a consumer reports score card. There are just some vehicle that are more than just basic transportation. Jeep has (or had) that figured out. I am hopeful the Bronco will too.
KennyMac, Deano Bronc

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Feb 13, 2021

INMHO-
My old CJ8 was not really great for on pavement driving- It topped out at 60, had a non-syncroed 1st gear so around town it was functionally a three speed, with the top off you were in the elements- with it on you were in a ham can, it was non-power brakes, and the tire noise from the 32" M/T's was terrible. If you weren't moving in the summer, it was hot as hell. In the winter, the heater core would routinely fill with air and stop working. It also had lap belts and exposed bolts on the dash. My wife called it "3WC" short for third-world country because it was loud, dangerous and on road she was always kinda vaguely sick.

That post could have easily been penned by myself about my old CJ7 I had in 1980 ,LOL
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
KennyMac, Shadowblade

Trusted and Carefree

Feb 13, 2021

That post could have easily been penned by myself about my old CJ7 I had in 1980 ,LOL
Oh yeah, all the CJs were like that. Mine was an '82ish (motor and transmission out of a '77). The longer wheelbase made it rock less that a CJ7, bud it made up for that in hard to find interior/exterior parts.
Rydfree