North To Alaska in 2 door Bronco

DudleyDoRight
Mar 17, 2023

Rank 0

Mar 17, 2023

My wife and I are planning a two month road trip to Alaska and I welcome any helpful advice. We will be leaving from Southeast Missouri in Mid April. We will be taking along our small dog, Susie. We have a house for the month of May in Anchorage so that will be our "base camp" while in Alaska. We plan to take 2 weeks getting from MO to Anchorage and 2-3 weeks getting back to MO. Our Bronco is a 2 door Basesquatch (stock) with no mods yet. I have been to Alaska 2 times (July 1990 and Sept 1993) but traveled by plane, I have never driven to Alaska before.
Jungleboy, TK1215
Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2023

Moab or bust!!!

Mar 17, 2023

My wife and I are planning a two month road trip to Alaska and I welcome any helpful advice. We will be leaving from Southeast Missouri in Mid April. We will be taking along our small dog, Susie. We have a house for the month of May in Anchorage so that will be our "base camp" while in Alaska. We plan to take 2 weeks getting from MO to Anchorage and 2-3 weeks getting back to MO. Our Bronco is a 2 door Basesquatch (stock) with no mods yet. I have been to Alaska 2 times (July 1990 and Sept 1993) but traveled by plane, I have never driven to Alaska before.
What an epic trip. Sounds like a blast.
Since you have a 2 door with limited fuel range, I would consider taking a full fuel can just in case. That would be my biggest fear - running out of gas in the middle of nowhere.

Take a look at this article. Lots of good tips.
https://www.gettingstamped.com/alcan-highway-alaska/
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
TK1215, Bronco 202?

Home, home on the range

Mar 17, 2023

I know cell service can be spotty in remote areas so you may want to consider a satellite phone for emergency use. I would also check with your cellular provider to check coverage and purchase an international plan for use in Canada. Also taking food and water for your pup as well as yourselves. Sounds like a fun trip!
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
emulous74, DudleyDoRight

Rank VI

Mar 17, 2023

There is a product called the tire sock . This is something you can look up on the Internet. It will help you when you get into snowy conditions and less you want to go to snow chains... you may also want to consider adding a radio to your rig in case you get out in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception or carry a sat phone. Make sure you take an ice chest to keep your drinks from freezing. Make sure you have road flares and reflective signs. This sounds like a great trip. Good luck and enjoy..
DudleyDoRight

Beers, Broncos, and Battlestar Galactica

Mar 17, 2023

That sounds like an incredible way to enjoy the scenery. Alaska is gorgeous and it’s cool that you’ll be able to enjoy the drive from behind the wheel of your Bronco!
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch • 2-Door • Velocity Blue • 2.7L V6 • 10-Speed • Lux • Various Mods...
"True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future." - SENECA
DudleyDoRight, PSUTE

Rank IV

Mar 19, 2023

Did that drive two years ago with my son, he transferred to Anchorage. We are a bit of adventurers, traveled a bit further west into British Columbia after entering Canada at Port of Entry North Dakota. We wanted to avoid the often traveled Alaska Highway, heading West past Edmonton to 37 North -
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...driving-conditions/highway-37-stewart-cassiar - takes you through the heart of the Rockies. It's all paved, depending on the time of year several gas station stops open (we went in October). Its a rather lonely road rarely coming accross any other cars, which we found nice. On the North end about 450 miles up, you end at the Alaska Highway. After we entered Alaska, we headed to Fairbanks, just to say we seen it, hoping to enjoy the aurora's, too cloudy though, stayed the night then headed South to Anchorage on the Route 3 highway - https://www.travelalaska.com/Explore-Alaska/Itineraries/Drive-Fairbanks-Anchorage - stopped at Denali National Park then stooped off to see Talkeetna, a small scenic town with a vibrant local economy. Total distance from Northern IL was about 3,700 miles, six days, within that time we made a few scenic stops. Hotels were easy to find, we never had a set destination day to day, when it got to around 4 pm each day we would look for a place down the road to call ahead for a room. Get the Rand McNally road map, over the air internet and phone service is limited, GPS will drop in and out, however when you enter a town you can usually pick up service and gain internet access. We always made sure we maintainted no less than quarter tank of gas and kept a two gallon can on the roof rack overhead just in case, of which we did tap into at one point. Canada does not take american currency, credit cards were not a problem, we used Amex, they always adjusted for the exchange rate with no surcharge. FYI, Watch your speed, 100 kph is strictly enforced. Passports required!

Once we reached Anchorage, found my son's apartment and off loaded his possessions, we got up the next morning and traveled South to Seward, one cool stop was to visit Exit Glacier - https://www.ordinary-adventures.com/2021/09/anchorage-to-seward-alaska-best-road-trip-stops/ - Seward is a quaint fishing port town, great halibut restaurants in town.There is so much to tell I could write a book, this is a quick outline of our adventures, no matter what you decide to do, it will be a trip of a lifetime.
Be Safe my friend and enjoy the trip!
the poacher, Sdakotabronco