Communication Gear for Your Bronco.

BuzzyBud
Oct 21, 2020

Rank VI

Oct 21, 2020

For the gentle reader who is new to Bronco adventures like me, you may seek a way to communicate with others while on the trail. Flashing your lights or waving your arm out the window may not be your preferred method. The topic of communication methods and gear can seem overwhelming, but do not worry help is on the way!

As a member of Overland Bound (see link below), I began with Michael’s YouTube video (see below) and the related article entitled, “Overland Communication Overview”. (see below)

https://www.overlandbound.com/

https://www.overlandbound.com/overland-communication-overview/

The Bronco Nation is fortunate to have Michael, the founder of Overland Bound, as a paid member. We might be able to engage @Michael to help us navigate our learning.

If @Michael is listening, I have three questions.
  • Your YouTube video and related article are dated 2017. Have things changed over the last three years regarding gear?
  • In your video, you mention how most overland drivers are using CB radios. Do you find that is still the case?
  • I recently obtained my GMRS license and plan to purchase a radio. Do you have a recommendation for a GMRS radio which will enable me to communicate with my CB based buddies?
Note: I would be remiss if I did not also add a comment on satellite communication. I plan to purchase a unit for my Bronco. For me, it is essential for communication with the loved ones I leave behind. In July 2015, on an ocean kayaking expedition in Alaska our team was pinned down for three days while gale force winds blew in from the Bering Sea. Luckily, the satellite unit allowed loved ones to track our movements via laptop software. That unit I carried was worth its weight in gold and facilitated approval from loved ones for additional trips!
IceSoldier88, Bronc96
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2020

Rank VI

Oct 21, 2020

Looks like a combination of communication gear is best. I will probably look to get a GMRS radio for mounting and a handheld CB as well. Also want to get a satellite coms device like on of the Garmins. Thanks for the link to the group. Looks like a great group to join.
Bronc96, Rgwinn

Rank VI

Oct 21, 2020

Looks like a combination of communication gear is best. I will probably look to get a GMRS radio for mounting and a handheld CB as well. Also want to get a satellite coms device like on of the Garmins. Thanks for the link to the group. Looks like a great group to join.

If you seek additional information on satellite communication devices, the YouTube video below might be helpful. It is important to remember there is a monthly subscription fee!

Bronc96, SlashRacer

Rank VI

Oct 21, 2020

If you seek additional information on satellite communication devices, the YouTube video below might be helpful. It is important to remember there is a monthly subscription fee!

Very helpful overview. I know that they have the mini currently at my local Costco and the other Garmin is available on their website. I just selected that one to watch for any Black Friday discounts.
Bronc96, Rgwinn

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Oct 22, 2020

Spend the time and get a technician class amateur radio license.

We run an Icom ID5100 in our truck.

L.R.
Bronc96, Rgwinn

Rank VI

Oct 22, 2020

Spend the time and get a technician class amateur radio license.

We run an Icom ID5100 in our truck.

L.R.
Can you send/receive GMRS with the ID5100? Or would you need a second radio? I know a lot of groups are using either handheld or mobile GMRS for trail rides.
Ordered: 4-Door First Edition - Rapid Red - Black Seats - MIC Top - Build Date: 10/25
In Garage: ‘62 Red Vette - ‘07 Black Shelby Ragtop - ‘21 F150 Platinum PowerBoost - Rapid Red

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Oct 22, 2020

Can you send/receive GMRS with the ID5100? Or would you need a second radio? I know a lot of groups are using either handheld or mobile GMRS for trail rides.
Though it is not legal, you can desolder a component to make it work.

L.R.
Rgwinn

Rank VI

Oct 23, 2020

Though it is not legal, you can desolder a component to make it work.

L.R.
I like the idea of only carrying one radio. Need to work on my tech license
Ordered: 4-Door First Edition - Rapid Red - Black Seats - MIC Top - Build Date: 10/25
In Garage: ‘62 Red Vette - ‘07 Black Shelby Ragtop - ‘21 F150 Platinum PowerBoost - Rapid Red
LoneRanger

Rank V

Dec 14, 2021

My hand held CB is an older Cobra. It has very limited range inside the vehicle. You can hook it to an antenna if you want. It is nice to have if you have to walk a trail for a bit, then it works well.
Hobgoblin

Rank VI

Dec 14, 2021

I went with the Woxun KG-1000G 50w GMRS radio. Mostly cuz it has the max power you can get and a detachable faceplate which means I can install the main radio body somewhere stealthy and keep just the faceplate on my BYOD rail when in use.
jimFish

That's a terrible idea, when do we start?

Dec 14, 2021

I went with the Woxun KG-1000G 50w GMRS radio. Mostly cuz it has the max power you can get and a detachable faceplate which means I can install the main radio body somewhere stealthy and keep just the faceplate on my BYOD rail when in use.
What kind of antenna and mount did you go with?
4 Door BadSquatch | Soft-top | Velocity Blue | 2.7 Auto | Towing | Lux | Leather

Rank VI

Dec 14, 2021

What kind of antenna and mount did you go with?
I haven’t chosen an antenna yet, debating between a whip and a short stubby. I like the look of the stubby but it may reduce tx/rx. Either way the plan is to mount on one of the “accessory ready” studs next to the mirrors.