impulse buy - 71 bronco sport

Joe Bronco
Jul 04, 2020

Rank II

Jul 04, 2020

guys - i just bought a 71 bronco sport. quick purchase here; was up on CL near my house for an hour and i bought it - can anyone tell me what the sport means? it has a 302 with 3-speed manual but it doesn't seem to have anything more than my 68 non-sport. don't hate me cause I have 2, it needs a lot of body work.
Deano Bronc, tasker
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 04, 2020

Rank III

Jul 04, 2020

pictures!! we want pictures!

Rank II

Jul 04, 2020

i only got a few pics because it's the 4th and i didn't want to linger in the guys yard on a holiday. i did get to confirm it's uncut, spent most of its life in ALabama, the frame is pretty solid. some thru rust on the fenders, lower windshield. inner fender on the passenger side can't stay, has to go. it's a Sport, has 302, soft and hard doors, tire carrier and OEM parchment white rear seat. 302 runs. may need some brake work.

Attachments

BanyonBronco, NiceBronco

Rank III

Jul 04, 2020

i only got a few pics because it's the 4th and i didn't want to linger in the guys yard on a holiday. i did get to confirm it's uncut, spent most of its life in ALabama, the frame is pretty solid. some thru rust on the fenders, lower windshield. inner fender on the passenger side can't stay, has to go. it's a Sport, has 302, soft and hard doors, tire carrier and OEM parchment white rear seat. 302 runs. may need some brake work.
WOW a rare find! Beautiful
BanyonBronco, Commodore

Rank III

Jul 09, 2020

I believe the sport package added chrome around the windows and a few other odds and ends. It’s always nice having two Broncos... just make sure one isn’t jealous of the other!! Good find!
SHAGI4

Rank II

Jul 09, 2020

I believe the sport package added chrome around the windows and a few other odds and ends. It’s always nice having two Broncos... just make sure one isn’t jealous of the other!! Good find!
thx Broncard. I do see the chrome around the window rubber. I didn't know what the tell-tale differences are.
Commodore

Rank III

Jul 16, 2020

Like already mentioned. The sport package was an appearance package. Badging, Crome and stainless trim for the most part. From the pictures it looks like you have some of the pieces. Different years had some different pieces. The top should have trim around all the windows. But in 71 there was no trim on the drip rail. there years there were. The grill had trim there was body side molding all the way around the truck. Front windshield had it along with the door / window trim. There was rocker trim but not on a 71. head light and tail lite had trim. I believe the 69 sport had the most trim. but not sure on this. The extra trim would be one small piece along the dash. The hardtop drip rail and the rocker trim. Some of your trim is missing but if you look around you can find most of the pieces. The dash piece is impossible to find
SHAGI4, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Jul 16, 2020

What Bax said, but it was the 67' that had all the extra dash, door and seat chrome. It was also possible to delete chrome from the Sport package such as the side molding, I've seen that more than once. Taillight chrome was around in the beginning on the 66' with the "bright package". Sport package came about in 67'. Nice find congrats!
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
built 3/11/22, delivered 4/16/22
Commodore

Rank III

Jul 16, 2020

What Bax said, but it was the 67' that had all the extra dash, door and seat chrome. It was also possible to delete chrome from the Sport package suck as the side molding, I've seen that more than once. Taillight chrome was around in the beginning on the 66' with the "bright package". Sport package came about in 67'. Nice find congrats!
Thanks for helping me out with the 69 / 67 year difference. I was close. I had a 69 sport with all the trim. You are correct, It did not have the dash strip.
Commodore, okie4570

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Jul 16, 2020

they are like Pringles, bet ya cant have just one!
tasker, Commodore

Rank 0

Jul 16, 2020

Nice! I love following the progression from finding one that needs some TLC to a nicely restored version. Always reminds me of my own's journey.
SHAGI4, Commodore

Rank V

Jul 17, 2020

Chrome package and you see it on the windshield frame, glass and front grill but delete on the body belt lines.
It’s time to live again but never forget the ones we lost!
Commodore

Rank VI

Jul 26, 2020

Dennis Carpenter has reproduced Sport grill stainless.

Rank VI

Aug 07, 2020

still have this? where are you located in Mass?
Have (2) 73 Broncos as well as a 2 door manual shift Velocity Blue Sasquatch in da house!!
Commodore

Rank VI

Aug 27, 2020

Very nice. My dream after I retire is to restore a 1st gen. 9 more years to go.
Commodore, okie4570

Rank V

May 09, 2021

It is a good purchase, your going to have slots a fun restoring, your Locky, is get harder to find them as the years good luck
Commodore

Rubble Trouble

Aug 30, 2022

I kick myself for not buy a 73 Bronco back in 1985. Sorry no pics just good memories. ;)
Original Order 09/17/2020 : WT 2 Dr Antimatter Blue 2.7 10spd SB-HT, LUX, TWNG, WNCH

02/12/2022: Bronco Raptor Code-Orange, order finalized on 3/28/2022; VIN Issued, current production week 9/26/2022

Rank V

Aug 30, 2022

Nice find!...door inserts and hardtop...different and kool!
2023 Big Bend 2 door, race red, 2.7, Sasquatch, tow