Clean look above the Side Steps

darrylkain
Dec 21, 2021

Rank IV

Dec 21, 2021

I installed Side Steps/Running Boards so that my wife could more easily get in and out. I purchased them from Ford and they look pretty good. Though I prefer the look of the Rock Rails. (saved for runs to the desert)

Wonder if anyone will make a thin black strip to fill in the attachment holes where the Rock Rails would install? It doesn't look very good with the gap. Just covering the holes would not look very good either.

sidestep- gap.jpgsidestep-gap close up.jpg
EdnKaren, TitsLaRue
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2021

Rank IV

Rank IV

Dec 21, 2021

As a reward, can you take a picture underneath your bronco that shows how the side steps are attached?;)

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Dec 21, 2021

I installed Side Steps/Running Boards so that my wife could more easily get in and out. I purchased them from Ford and they look pretty good. Though I prefer the look of the Rock Rails. (saved for runs to the desert)

Wonder if anyone will make a thin black strip to fill in the attachment holes where the Rock Rails would install? It doesn't look very good with the gap. Just covering the holes would not look very good either.

View attachment 24205View attachment 24206

Rust-Oleum Automotive 15 oz. Black Truck Bed Coating Spray-248914 - The Home Depot
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
14U, ChetC

Rank IV

Dec 21, 2021

Definitely a lot cheaper. Ford is really proud of that rocker panel “trail armor”.
darrylkain, ChetC

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Dec 21, 2021

Definitely a lot cheaper. Ford is really proud of that rocker panel “trail armor”.
Yeah , I was thinking $79 would be fair for a couple of plastic strips , lol.
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
BBNation

Rank IV

Dec 22, 2021

Yeah , I was thinking $79 would be fair for a couple of plastic strips , lol.
There’ll be cheaper options once the AM has time to catch up. Until then Ford is gonna make hay.

Rank VI

Dec 22, 2021

XPEL Black Universal Door Sill Guard (60" x 2.75") Paint Protection Film Kit

Attachments

Cybero, Red Squatch

Rank V

Dec 22, 2021

I have the same dilemma, I haven't received my Bronco yet, but when I do, I plan to go to Lowes and buy some aluminum angle (they have 4, 6, 8 ft lengths in widths from 1/2 - 2"). I obviously can't measure how tall that seam is without having my Bronco here, but I'm guessing a 1-1/2" angle would cover it. Then either paint it with some really good matte black paint or spray-in bed-liner it.
I was going to see if I could attach it using some of the factory body holes (maybe put some double sided 3M tape to keep it snug too).
I priced the aluminum at Lowes $18 - 30 depending on how long/ how tall. So all in for both sides your looking at about $80 once you buy the aluminum, paint and figure out what hardware to attach it with.

Rank IV

Dec 22, 2021

XPEL Black Universal Door Sill Guard (60" x 2.75") Paint Protection Film Kit
This looks like a pretty good option!, Inexpensive and does the job. Thanks for the recommendation.
ATLBronc, Pawel Kaliszan

Rank V

Dec 22, 2021

Went stock Sasquatch 2.7 so most mods will be personal comforts. Belling up to the cash bar for fords $$$$ mudflats out of the gate. Know in need of some type of step stirrup. Need to stop with that. Due to the mudflat thing.

Rank IV

Dec 22, 2021

As a reward, can you take a picture underneath your bronco that shows how the side steps are attached?;)
Sure,, here you go. It is really simple, just 2 bolts for each bracket. They also have the top connection on each bracket open ending so that you can put the first bolt in place and hook the side step in place to tighten them down.

front.jpgmiddle.jpgrear.jpg
MobScene13, Ladyinbluebronco

Rank IV

Dec 22, 2021

I have the same dilemma, I haven't received my Bronco yet, but when I do, I plan to go to Lowes and buy some aluminum angle (they have 4, 6, 8 ft lengths in widths from 1/2 - 2"). I obviously can't measure how tall that seam is without having my Bronco here, but I'm guessing a 1-1/2" angle would cover it. Then either paint it with some really good matte black paint or spray-in bed-liner it.
I was going to see if I could attach it using some of the factory body holes (maybe put some double sided 3M tape to keep it snug too).
I priced the aluminum at Lowes $18 - 30 depending on how long/ how tall. So all in for both sides your looking at about $80 once you buy the aluminum, paint and figure out what hardware to attach it with.
@Bt_ostate pointed out the Xpel product. I checked out their website and find that they have all sorts of stuff. Rocker Panel guard looks like you can install it with no seams, clean and easy. https://www.xpel.com/universal-rocker-panel-kit-black

Rank IV

Dec 22, 2021

This sounds like a pretty good idea. The area to cover is about 1" and there are multiple holes that can be used to mount the strip. Take a look at the original pictures I posted.

Rank I

Dec 22, 2021

IG: Commish1999 - IG: SilverLocDoc
2021 Bronco Outer Banks - 2020 F350 Tremor
1Five1 Garage, Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Dec 22, 2021

@Commish1999 That looks great! I really appreciate everyone sharing their solutions. Seems like a simple thing that the designers should have considered.
1Five1 Garage

Rank V

Dec 22, 2021

That would work as well - that's actually what I did on my F250 when I removed the front "choo choo" spoiler... it's a little chipped up in this pic, but that's after about 25k milesIMG_3803.JPG
darrylkain, Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Dec 22, 2021

Sure,, here you go. It is really simple, just 2 bolts for each bracket. They also have the top connection on each bracket open ending so that you can put the first bolt in place and hook the side step in place to tighten them down.

View attachment 24269View attachment 24270View attachment 24271
You saved me a two hour round trip to the dealership. Much appreciated!
darrylkain

Rank IV

Dec 24, 2021

I decided to go with this - XPEL Black Universal Bed Rail Guard (17' x 4") Paint Protection Film Kit

The size will allow for a seamless install. I will post some pictures next week when its done.
Bt_ostate

Rank VI