Chips … and Supply Chain Dips

Laura
Apr 20, 2022
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Apr 20, 2022

MAP_Bronco_23.jpg

Since the start of 2020, the world has faced a significant shortage of microchips. The results of this shortage have been felt across the global automotive industry, with AutoForecast Solutions estimating that 11.1 million units of production were lost due to the shortage in 2021.

The shortage is estimated to ease during 2022. Still, production will continue to have delays and shortcomings until the problem is fully resolved. With an estimated 1,500-3,000 chips needed to produce well-equipped vehicles, manufacturers, including Ford, have their work cut out for them to meet demand for hot products like Bronco. Will Bronco maintain the encouraging pace enjoyed in the first quarter? For 2022, we expect to see continued pressure on features to reduce chip demand. For example, the elimination of the “halo” on higher-end Bronco headlamps would save chips without impacting the performance of vehicle and the feature could be added using an aftermarket solution.

Head over to the latest news page to read the full article by Dean Parker, one of our newer contributors here at Bronco Nation.
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Keeping the Jeeps: stock '89 XJ and 3.5" lifted '00 XJ on 31s
WeakNinja, Dmesser92
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2022

Black Velvet

Apr 20, 2022

View attachment 34256

Since the start of 2020, the world has faced a significant shortage of microchips. The results of this shortage have been felt across the global automotive industry, with AutoForecast Solutions estimating that 11.1 million units of production were lost due to the shortage in 2021.

The shortage is estimated to ease during 2022. Still, production will continue to have delays and shortcomings until the problem is fully resolved. With an estimated 1,500-3,000 chips needed to produce well-equipped vehicles, manufacturers, including Ford, have their work cut out for them to meet demand for hot products like Bronco. Will Bronco maintain the encouraging pace enjoyed in the first quarter? For 2022, we expect to see continued pressure on features to reduce chip demand. For example, the elimination of the “halo” on higher-end Bronco headlamps would save chips without impacting the performance of vehicle and the feature could be added using an aftermarket solution.

Head over to the latest news page to read the full article by Dean Parker, one of our newer contributors here at Bronco Nation.
Sounds like production is going to get rolling on some bronco’s sounds like a 50 percent increase from last year’s builds
Big Papa

No Ragerts

Apr 20, 2022

Dayum - I thought you were taking about Chips & Dip.

my fav = Ruffles with Sour Cream & Onion dip!
5D24A8BB-C222-40DC-AEA3-E332634A5C28.jpeg
What’s yours?
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
WeakNinja, Stryf

Black Velvet

Apr 20, 2022

Dayum - I thought you were taking about Chips & Dip.

my fav = Ruffles with Sour Cream & Onion dip!
View attachment 34257
What’s yours?
Tortilla chips &salsa
Stryf, ResidualGenius

Black Velvet

Apr 20, 2022

Tortilla chips &salsa
Don’t forget to get beer
Big Papa, ResidualGenius

Burrito Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2022

Awesome article.

Obviously can't speak for everyone... but I for one am 100% on-board with helping Ford out of this chip fiasco. If... for example... the signature headlights are a problem, I am completely okay with switching to the standard headlines. Can't do that on the Badlands trim currently, but if a "signature lighting delete" was offered, I would take it. I would even consider dropping down to the Black Diamond trim with the Sasquatch package, as the only reason why I have the Badlands trim is for the factory front locker.

BUT, need more details from Ford about what exactly the constraints are. I don't think we've had an actual update from Ford on the constraints since last year, other than "Yup, the hard top is still constrained"... which just happens to be a component doesn't have any microchips ;)
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
NurseDan, Mal

Rank III

Apr 21, 2022

Most everyone is currently reporting that the chip shortage is going to get worse, not better, due to the war in Ukraine causing shortages of neon, xenon and krypton. I'd say the info in the article is dated.

They warned that “the automotive industry, which requires large quantities of power management chips and power semiconductors, will face a new wave of material shortages.”
WyoBronc

Libations MOD

Apr 21, 2022

Sounds like production is going to get rolling on some bronco’s sounds like a 50 percent increase from last year’s builds
Well, given they get an extra 5 months plus over last year plus tons of issues, it shouldnt be hard to beat those numbers
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
WyoBronc, Michael Ashmore

Black Velvet

Apr 21, 2022

Tortilla chips &salsa
Gotta wash it all down!!!!

Rank 0

Apr 22, 2022

I check my email every day for any Bronco order updates.. I call or email the dealership once a month and call Ford once a month. I cannot wait! I can’t help it.
Violet_Skies, Bschurr

Black Velvet

Apr 22, 2022

Gotta have a positive attitude!
TEEDEE, Bschurr

Rank III

Apr 23, 2022

it's been over a year - surely there is ONE US company that can manufacture Ford's chips. since there is no real info written up I assume we are still waiting for China's chips? are we learning anything with this?
WyoBronc

Black Velvet

Apr 23, 2022

it's been over a year - surely there is ONE US company that can manufacture Ford's chips. since there is no real info written up I assume we are still waiting for China's chips? are we learning anything with this?
Read the chip article about ford on bronco news,all brands being affected

Rank I

Apr 23, 2022

I check my email every day for any Bronco order updates.. I call or email the dealership once a month and call Ford once a month. I cannot wait! I can’t help it.

same here! Patience is so hard

That's a terrible idea, when do we start?

Apr 24, 2022

Ford has been working with GlobalFoundries to get more chips, AND to get more of a hand in chip design and manufacturing. Take a look at this article for more details: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/18/business/ford-globalfoundries-chip-shortage.html
4 Door BadSquatch | Soft-top | Velocity Blue | 2.7 Auto | Towing | Lux | Leather
Bronco Gal, Michael Ashmore

Rank V

Apr 24, 2022

Read the chip article about ford on bronco news,all brands being affected
So this means all of the brands are stupid to allow one communist country to control our manufacturing?
Jboohound, Bronco V-8

That's a terrible idea, when do we start?

Apr 24, 2022

So this means all of the brands are stupid to allow one communist country to control our manufacturing?
Ah, if I understand correctly most of Ford’s chips are currently made by TSMC and the last I heard Taiwan wasn’t a communist country yet. Also take a look at the article I posted earlier about Ford and Global Foundry.
4 Door BadSquatch | Soft-top | Velocity Blue | 2.7 Auto | Towing | Lux | Leather

Rank V

Apr 24, 2022

Ah, if I understand correctly most of Ford’s chips are currently made by TSMC and the last I heard Taiwan wasn’t a communist country yet. Also take a look at the article I posted earlier about Ford and Global Foundry.

You mean the Tiawan that China is looking at. You can split hairs all you want to. We have compaines that sent all our mfg. overseas. Now it is coming back to bite us in the butt, and we wait until the 12th hour before we try to fix the problem. Open your eyes!!

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Apr 24, 2022

By the time Ford does actually build my Badlands with Lux pkg it will be a Big Bend . They'll probably knock about $150 off the price though :(
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
WyoBronc
User 10564

Apr 25, 2022

Hmmmm, just noticed this 1.5K to 3K chips per vehicle?

I wonder if that number is all components like resistors, caps, diode, IC's etc

3000 can't be all gate arrays and CPU's

Personally I think that number is meant to mislead.
Of the 3000 chips, how many of them are causing the shortages