Jan 23, 2021

Let's get those rotopax on there.
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
Bronc96, BuzzyBud

Life is a Highway

Jan 23, 2021

I like that on the box it lists the part numbers for various attachments. Hopefully saves some people grief while purchasing
Bronc96, BuzzyBud

Life is a Highway

Jan 24, 2021

@BuzzyBud just wanted to ad the resource list you put together is very on point. Great reference material
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Jan 24, 2021

Let's get those rotopax on there.

Absolutely! Also, Maxtraxx, shovel, Four gallons of gasoline. When I add the weight of the gear, attachments, and rack, I arrive at 109.5lbs. Just right for a dynamic load limit of 110lbs. But of course, you knew that! ;)
TorgSurv

Rank VI

Jan 24, 2021

I like that on the box it lists the part numbers for various attachments. Hopefully saves some people grief while purchasing

One important point to remember is Yakima gear uses metric. My SAE sockets were of no help. See attachment below.

Attachments

Bronc96

Life is a Highway

Jan 24, 2021

That damn metric system! You know when you com here you better speak English! And when I go there...you better speak English Too!:LOL:
Bronc96, Bronco V-8

Rank VI

Jan 24, 2021

Great info @BuzzyBud Thank you for all the great information you give to BN! Your build is one of the ones I’m really excited to see how it finishes in the near future :cool:
MY21 2dr Black Diamond 7MT Velocity Blue!
Deano Bronc, BuzzyBud

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jan 24, 2021

That damn metric system! You know when you com here you better speak English! And when I go there...you better speak English Too!:LOL:
I have to use metric all the time, no big deal, but I won't get behind it until they figure out metric time.
Deano Bronc, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Jan 24, 2021

Thanks for combining all your resources in one place for everyone. Another excellent idea Buzzy! Looks like you are about ready to roll..just need the Bronc!(y)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Jan 24, 2021

Thanks for combining all your resources in one place for everyone. Another excellent idea Buzzy! Looks like you are about ready to roll..just need the Bronc!(y)
Thank you!
The list is incomplete. I forgot to add the recovery gear thread. All well, a search will find it.
I do have more pieces to the puzzle arriving. Seems deliveries from Australia take extra time to get here.
Bronc96

Life is a Highway

Jan 24, 2021

I look at the Australia overland guys all the time. Would love to get a Patriot Trailers rig. A pretty penny though. Lots of other rigs here in the US and Canada. To either be able to have one to pull, set up camp and then unhook and hit the trails during the day. Hoping to make the overland expo this year in AZ
Bronc96, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Jan 24, 2021

I look at the Australia overland guys all the time. Would love to get a Patriot Trailers rig. A pretty penny though. Lots of other rigs here in the US and Canada. To either be able to have one to pull, set up camp and then unhook and hit the trails during the day. Hoping to make the overland expo this year in AZ

The Patriot Trailers look amazing, but pricy. You might look at the two campers sold by Overkill in Bend Oregon. They may be at the Expo in Arizona this year. Originally my plan was to purchase a TK47 (See pic below) with a delivery in July 2021. JP at Overkill was great to work with in the planning phase. As it became apparent the Bronco would be delayed, I held off. I guess I wanted to have the horse before the cart. Maybe a 2022 build of a TK47 will be in the cards if I like the Bronco.

TK 47.jpeg
RedCo, Broncadonk MKG

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jan 24, 2021

The Patriot Trailers look amazing, but pricy. You might look at the two campers sold by Overkill in Bend Oregon. They may be at the Expo in Arizona this year. Originally my plan was to purchase a TK47 (See pic below) with a delivery in July 2021. JP at Overkill was great to work with in the planning phase. As it became apparent the Bronco would be delayed, I held off. I guess I wanted to have the horse before the cart. Maybe a 2022 build of a TK47 will be in the cards if I like the Bronco.

View attachment 8011

Those trailers are cool, can you get them in velocity blue? Gotta match tires and wheels too.
Deano Bronc, talbot

Rank VI

Jan 24, 2021

Those trailers are cool, can you get them in velocity blue? Gotta match tires and wheels too.

Yes! Funny that you bring it up. My original plan was to have a 3M wrap in a color to match Carb Gray which I identified after matching it to a Carb Gray Explorer at my local Ford dealer. The three tires would all be 35s and the wheels would be matching used Raptor bead locks. The final design was cool, but need to wait. Some day!
Deano Bronc

Rank II

Jan 25, 2021

thanks for the list
tag for future reference once a little further along in the Bronco journey

the overland trailers are awesome, but wow they are not cheap!
been doing lots of reading on overlanding, trailers and DIY - lots of lower cost options there if you've got the means to build
BuzzyBud

Rank V

Jan 25, 2021

How did you choose your LockNLoad size? I believe the factory one is a B.
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Jan 25, 2021

How did you choose your LockNLoad size? I believe the factory one is a B.

Excellent question! I was hoping someone would notice I selected size K and ask why. First off, I believe some potential owners may be happy with the Yakima size B roof platform. As you can see in the pictures below, both the size K and the size B platforms will fit on the Bronco. After a careful review of the Yakima installation guide (see attached), I settled on the size K for three reasons.
  • Price. My platform cost less than $700.00.
  • Lighter weight. I was struggling to stay within the roof dynamic weight limit with size B. The size K fit perfectly. (46lbs versus 55lbs)
  • Size. On the trails in New England, we encounter many roof level tree branches. The reduced size will be a better fit for my application. Also, based on my crossbar attachment, I should have less platform obstructing the open-air experience when the front roof panels are removed. (55x49 versus 60x54)
Hope this helps. Circle back if questions arise.

Bronco small roof rack.jpg

Bronco large Roof Rack.jpg

Attachments

RedCo, Bonnie6G

Rank V

Jan 25, 2021

Great insight @BuzzyBud. Thanks for the explanation. (y)
BuzzyBud

Rank V

Jan 25, 2021

View attachment 8011
I'd definitely like one of these. But I'm cheap... probably to my own demise. I actually started designing and pricing the materials I'll need for a DIY retractable tent similar to Yakima's awning that Ford is offering as an accessory. I have all the tools I'll need to make my own, so I figured I might as well. So far it's coming out to less than half the price of just the awning itself, not the other add-ons that turn it into an enclosed structure. I'll look into these though... just in case I win the lotto sometime.
BuzzyBud, Deano Bronc