Can anyone confirm remote start w/sync 4

9989dan
Jan 14, 2021

Rank 0

Jan 14, 2021

Read on another forum, that even if you don’t add mid package, remote start would work with ford’s SYNC.

So I should be able to start base Bronco as long I’m using app?
Can anyone confirm?
ResidualGenius
Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2021

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 14, 2021

I haven't heard or seen that anywhere, but I'm not too familiar with Sync4. I gotta think it takes some hardware though that just isn't going to be there in Base. You might find an aftermarket solution though.
Bronc96

Rank VI

Jan 14, 2021

Read on another forum, that even if you don’t add mid package, remote start would work with ford’s SYNC.

Can anyone confirm?

The ability to remote start your Bronco from your phone is a function of FordPass Connect not the version of Sync. Since 2019, most Ford vehicles are equipped with an internal modem that allows you to connect to your smartphone. You need to be running the FordPass app and it needs to be linked to your Bronco via the VIN number. What I do know yet know is whether Ford will require a monthly subscription fee after an initial complimentary period.
Bronc96

Rank 0

Jan 14, 2021

The ability to remote start your Bronco from your phone is a function of FordPass Connect not the version of Sync. Since 2019, most Ford vehicles are equipped with an internal modem that allows you to connect to your smartphone. You need to be running the FordPass app and it needs to be linked to your Bronco via the VIN number. What I do know yet know is whether Ford will require a monthly subscription fee after an initial complimentary period.
I’m ok w/subscription, I just want to know it’s capable. I know zero about Ford pass/sync
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Jan 14, 2021

I’m ok w/subscription, I just want to know it’s capable. I know zero about Ford pass/sync
I own a 2016 F150 which does not have FordPass Connect, however, I do have the FordPass app on my phone and find it helpful. If you buy a 2021 Bronco there are many YouTube videos that can help walk you through the setup process. The video in the link below is just one example.

Deano Bronc, Bronc96

Rank 0

Jan 14, 2021

I own a 2016 F150 which does not have FordPass Connect, however, I do have the FordPass app on my phone and find it helpful. If you buy a 2021 Bronco there are many YouTube videos that can help walk you through the setup process. The video in the link below is just one example.

Awesome, thanks!
I just figured there’d be a catch where the lower trim levels wouldn’t apply.
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Jan 14, 2021

Can anyone confirm?

Looks like remote start is possible for the Base through the FordPass Connect. See below from the Order Guide/Base section sent out yesterday. I interpret as possible but have no experience with the app so I can't say for sure.

FordPass Connect™
— 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot connects up to 10 devices4
— Remotely start, lock and unlock vehicle5
— Schedule specific times to remotely start vehicle5
— Locate parked vehicle5
— Check vehicle status5
Note: Ford Telematics™ and Data Services Prep included for Fleet
ONLY: FordPass Connect™ 4G Wi-Fi Modem provides data to
support telematics and data services including but not limited
to vehicle location, speed, idle time, fuel, vehicle diagnostics
and maintenance alerts. Device enables telematics services
through Ford or authorized providers. Activate at
www.fleet.ford.com or call 833-FCS-Ford. (833-327-3673)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
9989dan, BuzzyBud

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 14, 2021

I don't think people should get their hopes up for that. I think it will only apply if the Bronco has remote start equipment, which only comes with the Mid package. See footnote 5:
...vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features.
Bronc96, 9989dan

Rank VI

Jan 14, 2021

Interesting topic for sure! @9989dan The following might provide you with additional food for thought.

Yes, the 2021 Ford Bronco Base model will be equipped with FordPass Connect. However, there is a footnote (#5) which states the phone-based remote start feature will not work on some vehicles. What Ford was attempting to say is how the remote functions require the vehicle to be equipped with automatic transmission.

In other words, if you plan to purchase a 2021 Bronco with a manual transmission, no remote start for you! Sorry!

I have attached a link that might help. Scroll to the bottom of the link to see the **note concerning automatic transmission.
Use FordPass Connect™ For Remote Start, Lock & More | Official Ford Owner Site

Hope this helps
Bronc96, Rhiostatic

Rank V

Jan 14, 2021

Ford salesman here. Granted I'm still new at the game, so not the best salesman to answer this question.

The ability to remote start is determined by the vehicle's connectivity features hardwired in the computer. FPC typically comes in six month or two year trials before you pay an annual subscription (the cost of which I'm unsure of). If you choose not to update the subscription, you'll still have access to some features like vehicle diagnostics but not others, like built in navigation. I have yet to see a new vehicle remote start from the phone via FPC that didn't have RS on the key fob.

SYNC4 has to do more with how well your phone communicates with the on board computer, like Android/ Apple CarPlay app compatibility. In all, it might be cheaper to go with an aftermarket remote start system. But if you do this, be VERY careful to read over your warranty's fine print. A RS system will probably void your 3 year/ 36k factory bumper-to-bumper warranty, which is very important. The powertrain in the FSB is tried and true, but these days, it's computers/electronics that go out before the engine does. And in a first model year, there's sure to be lots of kinks to work out, via over-the-air updates or via recalls.

When you go to your dealer to place your order, they'll be able to answer your questions in depth. And if you're dealer is reputable, they'll not only walk you through how FPC works, but they'll help you install it when your Bronco arrives. That's literally part of Ford's sales requirement checklist (like many other manufacturers). If the salesman doesn't help you link FPC from your phone to your new vehicle, Ford will fine the dealership. Because FPC is also how the manufacturer sends over-the-air software updates to the vehicle.

I'm honestly unsure of how many vehicles will have RS built-in without the key fob RS option. Because Ford is rumored to be dropping all spare keys in MY21/ 22 units because the phone acts as a second key with FPC, as well as the RFI chipped key card that comes with your vehicle's manual.
ResidualGenius, Bronc96

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 14, 2021

Another note to add here. The ordering guide says that the remote start system is "Available only with Automatic Transmission", so no remote start with manual.
Bronc96, BuzzyBud

Rank 0

Jan 14, 2021

Thanks all, I am going with auto.
I will ask my dealership, which is also up for debate. I’m guessing they won’t have a clue.

Gladesmen

Jan 14, 2021

Another note to add here. The ordering guide says that the remote start system is "Available only with Automatic Transmission", so no remote start with manual.
Hmm now I am wondering if the manual Transmission Badlands with high pkg. if they just disable the remote start with software. I know the fob will not have the button. But I wonder if someone smarter than me can figure out a hack for this? Not that I condone this but it would be interesting to see.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Bronc96, BuzzyBud

Moab or bust!!!

Jan 15, 2021

Hmm now I am wondering if the manual Transmission Badlands with high pkg. if they just disable the remote start with software. I know the fob will not have the button. But I wonder if someone smarter than me can figure out a hack for this? Not that I condone this but it would be interesting to see.
So for the remote start to work, it would have to get a signal of some sort that the automatic transmission is in park. Somehow that signal would have to be replicated. No idea what is possible or not.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
Bronc96, BuzzyBud

Gladesmen

Jan 15, 2021

So for the remote start to work, it would have to get a signal of some sort that the automatic transmission is in park. Somehow that signal would have to be replicated. No idea what is possible or not.
I dunno about new vehicles but it was an easy fix when I re-powered my F250 and using a 47rh transmission.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Deano Bronc, Bronc96