Fording depth

3Dogs
Dec 28, 2020

Rank VI

Dec 28, 2020

The Bronco is spec’d to have a fording depth of 33.3"
But - what does that really mean? Presumably, as soon as you enter water that deep, there will be large ripples and splashing that will make the surface of the water much higher than that.
Is that reality taken into account?

Also, how does the electric fan not get damaged if it is spinning when you enter the water? And, what about the axle vents?
tlowell01, BuzzyBud
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2020

Rank VI

Dec 28, 2020

The Bronco is spec’d to have a fording depth of 33.3"
But - what does that really mean? Presumably, as soon as you enter water that deep, there will be large ripples and splashing that will make the surface of the water much higher than that.
Is that reality taken into account?

Also, how does the electric fan not get damaged if it is spinning when you enter the water? And, what about the axle vents?

I found the following video helpful.

Bronc96, JFord

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Dec 28, 2020

I don't call it water Fording anymore, I now call it water Broncoing.

This sort of thing is why you want dual batteries if you have a winch. If you drown the ignition, you can winch out and still have a full battery to restart it after you get it dried out.

He failed to mention two things, if you go in any water that is not clear, make sure you wash debris or mud/silt out of the radiator. and more importantly dry your brakes!
Bronc96, JFord

Moab or bust!!!

Dec 28, 2020

I some have mentioned that the 2.7's alternator is mounted low which is not great for water fording. I'm not sure where the alternator is on the 2.3.
The water itself doesn't necessarily kill the alternator but the water will leave sand/dirt which will eventually get the bearings.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
Bronc96, JFord

Rank VI

Dec 28, 2020

Now that is determination!
Off-Roadeo - Vermont. Springtime course after snowmelt. Luckily we will be using loaner Broncos!

PSUTE, Bronc96

Rank VI

Dec 28, 2020

When you look at the videos, you may look at the rear wheel. The water depth is much lower than the "wake" is created, but yes, you purposely create a wake. You purposely push the water forward of the vehicle. It creates a pocket.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Gladesmen

Dec 29, 2020

Now that is determination!
Off-Roadeo - Vermont. Springtime course after snowmelt. Luckily we will be using loaner Broncos!

Now if that is not an add for the wash out interior
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
PSUTE, Bronc96

Rank VI

Dec 29, 2020

I found the following video helpful.

That’s scary as hell! No way you will catch me doing that in my vehicle... especially $50,000 one. I’ve always lived by the rule if you submerge the axles change the diff oil. It can be an expensive mistake if you do get any water in there. Water and oil makes a nasty mess that’s very bad for parts.
Bronc96, Jakob1972

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Dec 29, 2020

That’s scary as hell! No way you will catch me doing that in my vehicle... especially $50,000 one. I’ve always lived by the rule if you submerge the axles change the diff oil. It can be an expensive mistake if you do get any water in there. Water and oil makes a nasty mess that’s very bad for parts.
Bronco is supposed to have long tubes for the axle breathers. But I agree I wouldn't be making water crossing with an expensive vehicle.
Bronc96, JFord

Rank VI

Dec 30, 2020

My thought is just because it can be done doesn't mean I will be attempting. Submerging a $50k rig is beyond my comfort level...lol!

Just as @JFord mentioned, this type of severe duty usage typically requires some type of maintenance afterwards, especially if water got into the differential vent tubes.
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
Jakob1972, PSUTE

Rank VI

Dec 30, 2020

30 minutes and a couple gallons of gear oil = lifetime of cool stories about the time you forded the mighty river.
Jakob1972, Deano Bronc

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Dec 30, 2020

30 minutes and a couple gallons of gear oil = lifetime of cool stories about the time you forded Broncoed the mighty river.

Fixed it for ya. :ROFLMAO:

Water in the axles is bad, my sister bought a used Explorer that the dealer admitted was in a flood, a few months later the rear axle self destructed on the highway.Everything inside the housing was rusted.
AcesandEights, Jakob1972

Rank V

Dec 30, 2020

His explanation about the valve and cooling the gear case causing a vacuum does not make any sense. It would still suck in the valve even if it is on the end on a 3 foot tube if there is a vacuum because the gear case would still be underwater getting cool. Most likely a different type of valve on the tube.

Moab or bust!!!

Dec 30, 2020

His explanation about the valve and cooling the gear case causing a vacuum does not make any sense. It would still suck in the valve even if it is on the end on a 3 foot tube if there is a vacuum because the gear case would still be underwater getting cool. Most likely a different type of valve on the tube.
The end of the 3ft tube would be fastened high enough that it wouldn't be under the water. It would such in air, not water.
AcesandEights

Rank V

Dec 30, 2020

The end of the 3ft tube would be fastened high enough that it wouldn't be under the water. It would such in air, not water.
Not under a vacuum since the state of the gearbox case would be cooling as indicated regards less if the valves is 1" or 36" on a tube. The ball would be closed if the same valve is located at either point. Now if it is a different valve that would remain open under vacuum and close when water reaches it then it makes sense. The relocation then with a different valve explains the need for the new location since the gearbox would be a constant between both setups. The length has nothing to do with it until you change the restricting device(valve). Or the presenter did not describe the operation of the valve correctly and it doesn't close under vacuum but does when submersed.

Rank VI

Dec 30, 2020

I have seen systems where the vent tubes run all the way to the air cleaner box. Others run the front up high in the engine compartment & the rear up the fender along the fuel filler tube.
Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Dec 30, 2020

I can't figure out why the stock breathers are check valves.
If they release heated air, where do the manufacturers expect the replacement air to come from once the diff cools down? Presumably, the valve is leaky, and the air slowly returns, but that seems like a poor design.
Why not just have an open tube, mounted to some high point?
Or, use a breather with Gore-Tex, which is permeable to air, but not to water.

Rank VI

Dec 30, 2020

Yeah, never saw check valves on any breather tubes. Always just routed up high. Add a vent for the transfer case as well as the others mentioned in the video.
Deano Bronc

Moab or bust!!!

Dec 30, 2020

Not under a vacuum since the state of the gearbox case would be cooling as indicated regards less if the valves is 1" or 36" on a tube. The ball would be closed if the same valve is located at either point. Now if it is a different valve that would remain open under vacuum and close when water reaches it then it makes sense. The relocation then with a different valve explains the need for the new location since the gearbox would be a constant between both setups. The length has nothing to do with it until you change the restricting device(valve). Or the presenter did not describe the operation of the valve correctly and it doesn't close under vacuum but does when submersed.
Sorry, now I understand what you were getting at. Correct, it wouldn't matter if you still had the check valve in place. It could still possibly suck in water through the ends of the axles.
samanator

Rank VI

Dec 30, 2020

It really isn't a big deal to replace the diff fluid, or pack bearings. Easy-peasy.