Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform Backbone Rack

BuzzyBud
Dec 27, 2020

Rank VI

Dec 27, 2020

After weeks spent researching various roof rack systems, I am preferring the Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform Backbone Rack. I understand the system I will need for my Bronco 2-door is not yet available from Rhino-Rack, but I am willing to wait. Indications from the company point to a summer/fall 2021 release.

The following video shows the rack profile I seek.

I was able to identify several advantages for me in selecting the Rhino-Rack over the Yakima.
  • Increase in weight limits. Dynamic = 220lbs, Static = 530lbs
  • Lower profile to accommodate garage door height restriction.
  • Accessory mounts for Maxtrax, Rotopax, and Shovel with lower profiles.
  • Easier to remove all roof panels for an open-air experience.
  • When two front panels are removed, no roof rails interfere with the open-air experience.
  • Once the Backbone is installed can switch between the Pioneer Platform and the Vortex Crossbars to accommodate an RTT more easily such as the iKamper Mini.
Curious to know if other BN members are planning to use a similar system for their 2-door or 4-door Broncos.
vintage, broncoCrzy
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2020

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Dec 27, 2020

After weeks spent researching various roof rack systems, I am preferring the Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform Backbone Rack. I understand the system I will need for my Bronco 2-door is not yet available from Rhino-Rack, but I am willing to wait. Indications from the company point to a summer/fall 2021 release.

I was able to identify several advantages for me in selecting the Rhino-Rack over the Yakima.
  • When two front panels are removed, no roof rails interfere with the open-air experience.
  • Once the Backbone is installed can switch between the Pioneer Platform and the Vortex Crossbars to accommodate an RTT more easily such as the iKamper Mini.
Curious to know if other BN members are planning to use a similar system for their 2-door or 4-door Broncos.

I like that system as well . I was originally specing my BL with the factory rack but have since deleted it in favor of waiting for aftermarket options . I will be keeping an eye out for this . Thanks .
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Dec 27, 2020

I like that system as well . I was originally specing my BL with the factory rack but have since deleted it in favor of waiting for aftermarket options . I will be keeping an eye out for this . Thanks .

I really tried to find a way to make the Yakima system work for me. However, in the end, the concept was just not coming together for my application. Of course, the big unknown regarding Rhino-Rack is when will they be ready for the Bronco. In essence, all that is needed is adjustments to the Backbone. All the related components will be plug-n-play. Since Rhino-Rack has been a big player in the Jeep world, they understand some of their existing buyers will seek to migrate their components to Broncos. I hope that factor will drive the development of the Backbone modifications.

I found the following videos to be informative.

RedCo, Rydfree

Rank VI

Dec 27, 2020

You can’t rate the capacity yet as it’s not designed for the bronco. The capacity would be the factor of the strength of the bronco roof itself to support the load vs the capacity of the platform.

Rank VI

Dec 27, 2020

You can’t rate the capacity yet as it’s not designed for the bronco. The capacity would be the factor of the strength of the bronco roof itself to support the load vs the capacity of the platform.

You are correct, the Backbone Rack has not yet been designed for the Bronco. However, the whole concept behind the Backbone is to shift the weight off the roof and onto the body structure. The roof is fiberglass and has a limited weight carrying capacity. When you shift the weight to the body structure the load capacity changes.
The Backbone Rack is a separate component from the Pioneer Platform.

Rank V

Dec 27, 2020

FWIW it took like 2 years for Rhino Rack to get the Backbone out for the JL

The roof doesn't matter. The roll cage and tub do.
BuzzyBud