Front and Rear Lockers

BuzzyBud
Nov 07, 2020

Rank VI

Nov 07, 2020

In my quest for Bronco related knowledge, I needed a greater understanding of front and rear locking differentials. More specifically, when to use them and not use them. I have never owned a vehicle with front lockers. Once again YouTube to the rescue!

Deano Bronc, Rgwinn

Rank VI

Nov 07, 2020

Just a couple thoughts and take-aways from the YouTube video.

We know our new Bronco will have GOAT modes. The Badlands, First Edition and Black Diamond will have Rock mode. When Rock mode is engaged, 4L is activated, it will turn off traction control, turn on the front and rear lockers as well as the stay bar disconnect. While in Rock mode, there will be times when we need to turn off the front locker. Being mindful of how the technology interacts will be essential.

Chart attached for reference.
GOAT Modes.jpg
Bronco Bro, okie4570

Gladesmen

Nov 08, 2020

Great video. Pretty much what I was thinking. Seems like if you only had one like the BD the rear is the one to have. Like the BD.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
BuzzyBud

Rank 0

Nov 08, 2020

I have a jeep and I play a lot in the mud. Lockers help you get into trouble deeper in the trails. A winch is a must ! So you can pull yourself out because a lot of other guys can't get into the back trails to help you out ........... And you always say F*#K , now what am I gonna do !
Deano Bronc, Jakob1972

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Nov 08, 2020

I want the locker so it doesn't do peg leg burnouts. :p
I learned a long long time ago to stay out of mud. I want the locker so I can climb hills on the road during the winter.
Jakob1972, BuzzyBud

Rank V

Nov 08, 2020

Most folks are amazed at what a fairly stock early bronco with just a rear locker will crawl......add a front locker also and it's like a whole new level of capability that they couldn't imagine until they experienced it for themselves.
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
built 3/11/22, delivered 4/16/22
Jakob1972, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Nov 08, 2020

I want the locker so it doesn't do peg leg burnouts. :p

Sometimes I feel like I grew up under a mushroom since my knowledge of common terms can be so limited.
YouTube on Peg Leg Burnout to the rescue!

Jakob1972, Deano Bronc

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Nov 08, 2020

Sometimes I feel like I grew up under a mushroom since my knowledge of common terms can be so limited.
YouTube on Peg Leg Burnout to the rescue!

Just so you know, the Beatles broke up. :p
Jakob1972, nic

Rank V

Nov 08, 2020

Is there a reason to lock the front locked but keep the rears unlocked? I heard that might be useful for riding fast on sand. (Baja riding)

Rank VI

Nov 09, 2020

I've been needing to look up info on this as well, thanks for the vid, very informative.
Raptor w/ lux package, orange belts. Code Orange.
BN #306
BuzzyBud

Rank V

Nov 09, 2020

Just a couple thoughts and take-aways from the YouTube video.

We know our new Bronco will have GOAT modes. The Badlands, First Edition and Black Diamond will have Rock mode. When Rock mode is engaged, 4L is activated, it will turn off traction control, turn on the front and rear lockers as well as the stay bar disconnect. While in Rock mode, there will be times when we need to turn off the front locker. Being mindful of how the technology interacts will be essential.

Chart attached for reference.
View attachment 5398
This diagram is unofficial right? I'm a bit skeptical. Wouldn't you want the lockers on only when you are going straight and not making turns? Forcing both front and rear locks onto a novice who switched the goat mode to rock crawl seems wrong.
BuzzyBud, Bronco Bro

Rank V

Nov 09, 2020

This diagram is unofficial right? I'm a bit skeptical. Wouldn't you want the lockers on only when you are going straight and not making turns? Forcing both front and rear locks onto a novice who switched the goat mode to rock crawl seems wrong.

Correct, that's why folks put twin sticks on their manual transfer case with non selectable lockers on the front, and/or folks put selectable lockers on the front such as air lockers.
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
BuzzyBud, Flourman

Rank VI

Nov 09, 2020

Yes, the diagram is not an official Ford document. I agree that Rock mode should leave the front lockers to the user's discretion. Time will tell how all this technology interacts. But it is food-for-thought!
PC Austin

Rank VI

Nov 09, 2020

Is there a reason to lock the front locked but keep the rears unlocked? I heard that might be useful for riding fast on sand. (Baja riding)
Absolutely. With the trail turn assist, it will help pull the front end around even more. Or perhaps making a no-momentum turn, uphill, in the snow. Front lockers at speed where there is a lot of traction is kinda scary.

As for sand, it will help pull rather than push. I believe the diff locks turn off at a pretty low speed anyway.

on a side note, every NP205 that is out of a vehicle should be twin-sticked! Forgive the garage mess, I was in a deep weekend session of lift kits and drivetrain swapsC9CD63B3-B572-4AD5-89E2-BBD4E384827A.jpeg
Deano Bronc, PC Austin

Rank V

Nov 09, 2020

Absolutely. With the trail turn assist, it will help pull the front end around even more. Or perhaps making a no-momentum turn, uphill, in the snow. Front lockers at speed where there is a lot of traction is kinda scary.

As for sand, it will help pull rather than push. I believe the diff locks turn off at a pretty low speed anyway.

on a side note, every NP205 that is out of a vehicle should be twin-sticked! Forgive the garage mess, I was in a deep weekend session of lift kits and drivetrain swapsView attachment 5471
Thanks! I'm learning a lot.
BuzzyBud

Rank V

Nov 09, 2020

This will be a learning process for those that are used to using lockers as well, as far as what the actual modes are going to do for us in certain situations. 99% of new bronco owners won't use the new bronco to it's full capability I'm sure.
BuzzyBud