Walk-Around with Bronco Tester, Brad Lovell

allan
Sep 12, 2020

Rank V

Sep 12, 2020

Our walk-around with Brad Lovell is here! Brad has spent over 3 years helping to test and develop the Ford Bronco, and has lots of great insights on many of the Bronco's features.

https://community.thebronconation.com/2021-ford-2-door-bronco-badlands-walk-around-with-brad-lovell/
ipongtreat, nic
Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2020
SandboxGeneral

Sep 12, 2020

That was one of the best videos so far, I think.

I was audibly impressed when I learned that the sway-bar disconnect can re-engage above 25 mph and then automatically disconnect again “on the fly” when your speed drops below 25 mph. Very impressed! That alone blows the doors off of Jeeps!

I was also impressed that the front lockers can be engaged without having to engage the rear ones too.

My question for Brad is where can we get that sweet blue jacket he’s wearing in the video?
RodFather, Baus67

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Sep 12, 2020

The only thing awkward with the Bronco is the instrument cluster.Gonna take some getting used to it.
BuzzyBud, Deano Bronc

Standing Grumpy Face

Sep 12, 2020

The technology behind that sway bar disconnect is pretty damn cool.
BuzzyBud

Standing Grumpy Face

Sep 12, 2020

The only thing awkward with the Bronco is the instrument cluster.Gonna take some getting used to it.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the big digital clusters. Maybe a small one in the middle with more analog gauges. The inclusion of a turbo boost gauge is neat. Wish my F-150 had it.
BuzzyBud, Bronco V-8

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Sep 12, 2020

That was one of the best videos so far, I think.

I was audibly impressed when I learned that the sway-bar disconnect can re-engage above 25 mph and then automatically disconnect again “on the fly” when your speed drops below 25 mph. Very impressed! That alone blows the doors off of Jeeps!

I was also impressed that the front lockers can be engaged without having to engage the rear ones too.

My question for Brad is where can we get that sweet blue jacket he’s wearing in the video?
https://merchandise.ford.com/Browse/BroncoMens
BuzzyBud

Rank II

Sep 13, 2020

I’m really impressed with the technology and the social media management of the new Bronco. It will definitely create interest in our different outdoors choices especially the national parks. I haven’t seen anything on how Ford will contribute to our national parks or other landmarks since we probably will see an influx of people due to the new Bronco.
BuzzyBud, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Sep 13, 2020

I love the video!!! When one of the lead testers is obviously giddy about a product you know you have something special!
Baus67, BuzzyBud

Moab or bust!!!

Sep 13, 2020

I love the video!!! When one of the lead testers is obviously giddy about a product you know you have something special!
I agree. You can tell he has a lot of passion about off-roading and the Bronco.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
Baus67, BuzzyBud

Rank 0

Sep 13, 2020

Dig it. Thanks Brad!
Baus67, BuzzyBud
SandboxGeneral

Sep 13, 2020

Too bad I don't see the nice bright blue one Brad is wearing with all the badging on it. :( But thanks for the link. :)
BuzzyBud

Rank V

Sep 13, 2020

Great video. The enthusiam is infectious!

Not gonna lie, it's almost got me tempted to switch over to a Badlands now, and I know I'll never need all that off-road goodness on it. *laughs*
2dr Badlands, Velocity Blue, Lux Package, Squatch
Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Sep 13, 2020

I found this video to be superb. My kudos to Brad for his skills and passion.

As I watched this video, two observations stood out.
  • He was clear in stating how the Bronco is superb at speeds below 45mph. At speeds over 45mph, a Ford Raptor is a better choice. What I could not gather was the reason for that statement. Is it the weight and wheelbase differences? Not sure. Also, what did he observe at higher speed when driving the Bronco? Independent analysis would be so helpful.
  • Brad is a professional off-road driver who knows how to enjoy a Bronco. I do not have those skills and, to be quite honest, never will. Will I enjoy a Bronco with my skill level? Not sure. I would benefit from an independent “average” driver who seeks to engage in off road activities like me spending time driving the Bronco on and off road.
In a way, I understand the marketing approach being used by Ford for the Bronco.
RodFather, Fstfrd00

Rank III

Sep 14, 2020

One of the best videos yet. Brad obviously knows his stuff. His Voice was very recognizable from the rubicon and moab videos.
He did a great job of explaining the IFS, as I have never driven a vehicle in off road situations with an IFS, I have been a little nervous/anxious to drive one. He really moved me to the anxious side of that internal debate.
My take on the rapter better over 45 mph is in more offroad dirt type driving. I can't see the ride of the bronco on the highway being bad at all for the type of vehicle it is. It will never ride like a BMW/etc. but compared to other off road capable vehicles it should be great.
Also love the fact that you can lock axles independently. The trail turn assist, for me, will be a new technology that I am excited to try out.
Having been in BV at the Bronco Super Celebration, I can say I was very impressed with the black badlands that was there. I have been around broncos all my life and will be 50 this year. The look, the proportions, the style, the offroad technology that has been put into this vehicle is very impressive. I am the 3rd generation owner of a 1966 bronoco, not the one pictured in my avatar, and can't wait to own a first year model of this new bronco.
Thanks for such a great video
Baus67, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Sep 15, 2020

I found this video to be superb. My kudos to Brad for his skills and passion.

As I watched this video, two observations stood out.
  • He was clear in stating how the Bronco is superb at speeds below 45mph. At speeds over 45mph, a Ford Raptor is a better choice. What I could not gather was the reason for that statement. Is it the weight and wheelbase differences? Not sure. Also, what did he observe at higher speed when driving the Bronco? Independent analysis would be so helpful.
  • Brad is a professional off-road driver who knows how to enjoy a Bronco. I do not have those skills and, to be quite honest, never will. Will I enjoy a Bronco with my skill level? Not sure. I would benefit from an independent “average” driver who seeks to engage in off road activities like me spending time driving the Bronco on and off road.
In a way, I understand the marketing approach being used by Ford for the Bronco.

The Raptor wheelbase has a lot to do with it along with a heavier sprung weight. The Raptor, having more mass both above and below the springs let’s the suspension follow the terrain better and allows the body not to bounce around as much.

I don’t think a new off-roader will take full advantage of all of the tools the Bronco has off-road. I wheeled for a LONG time without lockers. Then when I got a rear locker, I was in heaven. Then when I got a front locker, my perspective changed. It’s great because one can get these from the factory andwork their way up.

As far as the video, his smile shows he’s truly excited for this which makes me even more excited.
Deano Bronc, BuzzyBud