Supporter I

Sep 20, 2021
Myrtle Beach
First Name
Peter
Last Name
VanHeyde
Member #

yes Im a cast iron freak..lol. also have a few dutch ovens and i love those things. ive always bought the brand The Lodge for cast iron.
Lodge is the way to go without a doubt. I have been involved with my sons Boy Scouts for the past 10 years and the Cast Iron EVERYTHING from Lodge is by far the best stuff hands down.

LR48

Rank VI

Champion I

Nov 13, 2020
Winter Park Fl
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Faulk
Member #

Any cast iron freaks in here? I cook almost exclusively with cast iron, pans, dutch ovens, outdoors, indoors, over an open fire, on the kitchen stove, in the oven, or over coals. Anyone else prefer the original non-stick pan?
I use cast iron all the time and Lodge like most everyone else here is my go to. I also use Staub and La Cruset. In South Africa the original Dutch settlers used cast iron pots called potjie pots. They come in a variety of sizes are amazing for cooking everything from bread and stews. We use this one to cook oxtail or chicken stew for 20+ people, in South Africa we cooked Kudu or Springbok stew. Always heated by coals from an open fire so great out in the bush.

Attachments

RandallLG

Rank V

Supporter I

Jun 4, 2020
California, USA
Member #

A cheap-o stove from REI is exponentially better with a cast iron pan. My cast iron is a hand-me down from my grandfathers camping equipment. My go to: get the pan searing hot, throw in some potatoes with rosemary, garlic, salt and butter, once the potatoes are cooked half way through, toss on the ribeye with the same seasoning and bast everything with the garlic-rosemary butter.

IMG_1430.jpg

ChuckO

Rank V

Supporter I

May 8, 2022
Left Coast
First Name
Charles
Last Name
OBryan
Member #

A cheap-o stove from REI is exponentially better with a cast iron pan. My cast iron is a hand-me down from my grandfathers camping equipment. My go to: get the pan searing hot, throw in some potatoes with rosemary, garlic, salt and butter, once the potatoes are cooked half way through, toss on the ribeye with the same seasoning and bast everything with the garlic-rosemary butter.

View attachment 35780
Oh my!