Can the base model tow?

ANGRY_MECHANIC
Nov 04, 2020
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Nov 04, 2020

Hello all,

Just been reading and hitting google for the past 30 minutes. Also searched our forums. I can't find out for sure if the base model comes with the 2" receiver and a 4 or 7 pin connector? I see a tow package available on build a price, but only on the higher trims. Not the base. I've seen documents that show base model can tow 3500lbs, and I've seen receivers and connectors on the frames in some photos. Does anyone have anything conclusive by chance? It would be much appreciated!
Commodore

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Nov 04, 2020

My understanding is that yes it can tow and has the trailer sway control built in as do all the others . It is just a BASE so they don't offer the hitch as an option . You can put it on yourself though . It can have the tube steps , you just have to purchase later etc .
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
Commodore, ANGRY_MECHANIC

Rank V

Nov 04, 2020

They have not offered a tow package on the base. Would have been nice, but it's only a class II hitch. Aftermarket you should be able to get a class III for much less money. I personally have a P/U, so if I have to tow I'll use it until I get around to putting one on my base...
'21 AMB Basesquatch 2 Door. 2.7. 569 days from reservation to delivery
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Nov 04, 2020

My understanding is that yes it can tow and has the trailer sway control built in as do all the others . It is just a BASE so they don't offer the hitch as an option . You can put it on yourself though . It can have the tube steps , you just have to purchase later etc .
I noticed it has trailer sway too. So i'd be looking at bolting on a 2" receiver? What about the wiring? Do you think those connections come standard or would I be needing to do that too?
Commodore

Rank V

Nov 04, 2020

Trailer sway is built into the computer program. You will need to get wiring done from the looks of things...
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Nov 04, 2020

Trailer sway is built into the computer program. You will need to get wiring done from the looks of things...
That's what I was thinking too. Thanks for the help!
Commodore

Gladesmen

Nov 05, 2020

Somewhere I read that the Auto has a transmission cooler. But I don’t know if that was part of the tow package or just get it when you go auto. I am sure you can add it if needed. But it would be nice if Ford would offer it on all pkgs I mean you can squatch anything why not tow.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Commodore, BroncoMax
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Nov 05, 2020

Somewhere I read that the Auto has a transmission cooler. But I don’t know if that was part of the tow package or just get it when you go auto. I am sure you can add it if needed. But it would be nice if Ford would offer it on all pkgs I mean you can squatch anything why not tow.
Maybe the auto just needs the extra cooling I suppose. I’m going manual as well. Hoping the receiver and wiring isn’t too difficult to do.
Commodore

Rank III

Nov 12, 2020

For $600 up front I'm glad the Base doesn't come with this wimpy receiver. Wiring into tail lights will need to be done at installation, but that will come WELL below $600 with a higher quality receiver that hopefully gets bolted from frame rail to frame rail where those "D" rings are.
14U, Commodore
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Nov 12, 2020

For $600 up front I'm glad the Base doesn't come with this wimpy receiver. Wiring into tail lights will need to be done at installation, but that will come WELL below $600 with a higher quality receiver that hopefully gets bolted from frame rail to frame rail where those "D" rings are.
True, It's not too difficult to do either I suppose.
Commodore

Rank V

Nov 12, 2020

This. Aftermarket will come out with a class III attached to the frame. Should be able to get a hitch, wiring and brakes for less than $600 Throw in stiffer aftermarket springs, capacity should go up to 5-6000. Huge difference in having the capacity even if you never exceed 3500...
Commodore, Bronc96

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Nov 14, 2020

I want an aftermarket bumper that has an integrated hitch receiver higher up and out of the way. The ones that hang down below the bumper are always dragging on the rocks.
4291101_main_001.jpg
TK1215, kulu
ANGRY_MECHANIC

Nov 14, 2020

I want an aftermarket bumper that has an integrated hitch receiver higher up and out of the way. The ones that hang down below the bumper are always dragging on the rocks.
View attachment 5591
That is true. My wrangler does that sometimes.
Commodore

Rank V

Nov 15, 2020

I bolted an after market receiver on my Jeep Patriot I had years ago it's easy!
Baja on! As Ford Spanked the competition in 1969, in the Baja 1000, NO OTHER AUTOMAKER HAS, replicated in 50 plus years
Commodore, Bronc96

Rank 0

Apr 27, 2021

This. Aftermarket will come out with a class III attached to the frame. Should be able to get a hitch, wiring and brakes for less than $600 Throw in stiffer aftermarket springs, capacity should go up to 5-6000. Huge difference in having the capacity even if you never exceed 3500...
I dont see, how the capacity goes up? If Ford says 3500 lbs, it doesn't matter what the hitch says, it's still 3500 lbs
Deano Bronc, Commodore

Rank V

Apr 27, 2021

I dont see, how the capacity goes up? If Ford says 3500 lbs, it doesn't matter what the hitch says, it's still 3500 lbs
Vehicle modifications to adapt it to multiple uses have been around since Stanley built his steamer. You do not need the manufacture's blessing, you own it, not them, despite what they'd like you to think. Do your due diligence in modifications and it will work...
Commodore

Rank 0

Apr 28, 2021

you can tow more with trailer brake controller and higher rated hitch. Some of the integrated hitch bumpers are rated class 3 but like an earlier poster, do your own math on your specific case even if it is within oem recommendations.
Commodore

Rank 0

Apr 28, 2021

Vehicle modifications to adapt it to multiple uses have been around since Stanley built his steamer. You do not need the manufacture's blessing, you own it, not them, despite what they'd like you to think. Do your due diligence in modifications and it will work...
Its all ok as long all is ok! But if you had an accident while towing 5000lbs and some one sues you, becasue you went byond the manufacturers limit, you're screwed. Besides that, who tells tou that the 3500lbs frame rails are ok for the forces and loads of a 5000lbs load?

Moab or bust!!!

Apr 28, 2021

Its all ok as long all is ok! But if you had an accident while towing 5000lbs and some one sues you, becasue you went byond the manufacturers limit, you're screwed. Besides that, who tells tou that the 3500lbs frame rails are ok for the forces and loads of a 5000lbs load?
I agree with you that you are taking a risk for towing more than is recommended. Just as a lot of things in life, some are willing to take risks and others are not. Sometime those risks bite and and sometimes they don't.:)
I believe the suspension is the limiting factor on the Bronco and not the frame rails. From what I understand, the frame rails are basically the same as the Ranger (much higher tow rating) but boxed which would make them stronger.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
Jakob1972, 14U

Member 2541 Jerry

Apr 28, 2021

I agree.
By the way,
Welcome to the BN.
2022 -2door Black Diamond
Mid Package
2.7. Velocity Blue.
Deano Bronc