Burnt Oil Smell from new Bronco

mcgrane
Dec 06, 2021

Rank 0

Dec 06, 2021

Just brought home my 2021 Bronco this past Friday. Love the truck, but several build quality issues were noticed the next morning (mostly paint & door blemishes). The most noticeable issue was the smell of burning oil after I’d driven it home. Has anyone else noticed that burning oil smell. I haven’t noticed any oil drips on the garage floor, but there certainly is a smell. Just wondering if anyone else has had this same experience with the new car. I’ve had several new cars in the past, and this strong of a smell was never there before.
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 06, 2021

Beers, Broncos, and Battlestar Galactica

Dec 06, 2021

Did you notice any smoke coming from the engine or catalytic converter? Some components have coatings that produce a burning smell when they've been heated up for the first time or for a longer period. Like you, I've had several new cars, and I've always noticed a strong smell for the first few days of ownership. The smell eventually dissipated. I'm not sure if it is because the coatings finally burned off, or I grew accustomed to the smell (or both). So long as there are no new fresh fluids on the floor of your garage, you should be fine, but you may want to keep the car in a ventilated area for the first week or so.
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch • 2-Door • Velocity Blue • 2.7L V6 • 10-Speed • Lux • Various Mods...
"True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future." - SENECA
JoergH, LR48

Rank III

Dec 06, 2021

I picked mine up on 11/30 and have driven it about 150 miles. I have noticed a slight smell like this also. I can't say it smells like motor oil. In fact, it smells more like cooking oil to me! I'm thinking that it's just some of the various protective coatings burning off . Like the previous poster said, I'd give it some time to see if it goes away.
BuckYeah, IL21Bronco

Rank VI

Dec 06, 2021

Its your exhaust system heating up. I smelled it also from mine. It does dissipate after a couple hundred miles. Take it out on the interstate for about 30 miles and back and let the exhaust get goot and hot so the gaskets can get seated.
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021
CaliKAP, KennyMac

Rank IV

Dec 06, 2021

I had a similar experience once. I have a company car (Jeep Compass) that I took delivery of a couple years ago and was driving it and had the same problem, but it was so bad I had to open the windows when the car was not moving. Come to find out the dealer never put the oil cap on during prep and oil was shooting everywhere. Never saw a drop of oil on the driveway Check your oil cap and dipstick just to make sure they are tight and seated.
7/14/20 Res placed
1/23/21 Order confirmed.
3/22/22 Build Date 4Dr. Wildtrak, Velocity Blue, Squatch, LUX, Hardtop. The 3 sins....
Deano Bronc

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Dec 06, 2021

So it's not just me? I'm not paranoid?

All Cerealness though, thought it was my clutch as I feather it when I don't just let out clutch in backing into my driveway
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
BuckYeah

Rank 0

Dec 07, 2021

That smell lasted about a week in mine.
KennyMac

Rank IV

Dec 07, 2021

Many manufacturers coat metal product in an oil based film to prevent rusting in transport. When initially fired up it bakes off the residue which is most likely the smell you have in first week
KennyMac, Speed Devil

Rank 0

Dec 19, 2021

I’m 2 weeks in and the smell is still there. I was researching exhaust leaks, and the main symptoms experienced by drivers are headaches, fatigue, or dizziness. I’m going to have it checked out immediately.

Rank V

Dec 19, 2021

I’m 2 weeks in and the smell is still there. I was researching exhaust leaks, and the main symptoms experienced by drivers are headaches, fatigue, or dizziness. I’m going to have it checked out immediately.
If you haven't experienced headache, fatigue, or dizziness from an exhaust leak, then you also have not heated the exhaust up enough to burn the 'new' off it. On a brand new vehicle, it will take a few cycles of truly heating everything up, putting under a load for a while, to burn off that smell. I agree, it's a different smell, but that's just part of the new vehicle experience. Embrace it!
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Puddle Jumper, Slownstddy

Rank III

Jan 16, 2022

Just brought home my 2021 Bronco this past Friday. Love the truck, but several build quality issues were noticed the next morning (mostly paint & door blemishes). The most noticeable issue was the smell of burning oil after I’d driven it home. Has anyone else noticed that burning oil smell. I haven’t noticed any oil drips on the garage floor, but there certainly is a smell. Just wondering if anyone else has had this same experience with the new car. I’ve had several new cars in the past, and this strong of a smell was never there before.
I am 1700 miles into my new Bronco and the damn thing still smells like somethings burning. Checked connections, oil etc…nada. When I phoned my dealer to have my Broncos oil changed they said it would be about a month to get in, when I mentioned the continuous burning smell they said see you Monday. Will share what I learn from this.
Deano Bronc, Sdakotabronco

Rank V

Jan 16, 2022

I am 1700 miles into my new Bronco and the damn thing still smells like somethings burning. Checked connections, oil etc…nada. When I phoned my dealer to have my Broncos oil changed they said it would be about a month to get in, when I mentioned the continuous burning smell they said see you Monday. Will share what I learn from this.
A month to get an oil change appointment!!? My god. That's insanely stupid. At least on Monday when there you can say "oh btw, while here..how bout that oil change" :LOL:
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992
Ghostof1776, KennyMac

Rank VI

Jan 16, 2022

I have that same smell but it's on and off depending on how much right pedal I use. Most of the items haven't been heat cycled and you'll probably get it for a while on and off.

But if it always smells like burnt oil then yes I'd get it looked at.
Wildtrak, 4DR, Iconic Silver, High, Camo Seats.
Ghostof1776, KennyMac

Rank V

Jan 17, 2022

Hello! Please send a message to us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealership, along with some more details about your situation. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks you!
Deano Bronc, Puddle Jumper

Rank III

Jan 25, 2022

Thanks. I have an appointment tomorrow. Will update after diagnostics are done. Appreciate all of the feedback all!

Rank 0

Jan 26, 2022

Hello all! I am new to the Nation and figured I'd throw my feedback into this thread as well. I too have a noxious electrical type burning smell coming through vents when heat is on. First couple of days thought it was the heated seat element. Then drove with heated seat off and realized it was coming from vent register. To the point where my right hand on 2 o'clock position in front of the vent smells when I exit vehicle. Have to crack windows at least a couple of times during my 50 mile commute each way. There are no SSM's or TSB's related to burning odor at all, either for '21 or '22 MY Bronco, yet everyone seems to have the same concern. @Ghostof1776 did your visit yield any results?

Rank III

Jan 30, 2022

Zero results. However on a cold start my Bronco immediately went to 4 bars (should not) Dealerahip saw that right away and so I left it for a couple of days, all diagnostics were done, zero finds or faults, was told now not to worry about the bars it should be fine. Mentioned the smoke smell as well, o was told Ford lines everything everywhere and that it will probably be smelling like smoke for sometime. I am 2790 mile into mine, over and back mountain passes. Would think it would be gone. So nothing on my end, I will update if the issue persists and needs to be escalated.
Bluebend

Rank III

Jan 30, 2022

Lubes…not lines. Proof before posting Ghost. My bad!!

Rank 0

Jan 30, 2022

Zero results. However on a cold start my Bronco immediately went to 4 bars (should not) Dealerahip saw that right away and so I left it for a couple of days, all diagnostics were done, zero finds or faults, was told now not to worry about the bars it should be fine. Mentioned the smoke smell as well, o was told Ford lines everything everywhere and that it will probably be smelling like smoke for sometime. I am 2790 mile into mine, over and back mountain passes. Would think it would be gone. So nothing on my end, I will update if the issue persists and needs to be escalated.
Glad everything checked out on your rig! Not to jinx you but I was hoping they would find the cause of your smell, lol.

Rank II

Jan 30, 2022

Could be a tooma ...
Black Diamond - 2DR - Sasquatch - 2.3 Ecoboost - Manual - Eruption Green