Bump Starting with Manual

Flourman
Nov 10, 2020

Rank VI

Nov 10, 2020

With the push button start, any idea if the manual will be able to be “bump started” or push started? I know these will be able to start in gear which is pretty handy and the auto-start starters are more beefy than normal starters but it’s worth an ask.
Crawler Green, Jakob1972
Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2020

Rank 0

Nov 11, 2020

I would have to assume that you can being a manual and all but different companies have different disable/disarm routines from what I've seen so it's hard to know for sure without actually doing it.

My car (not a Ford) has the "push button" start and is disabled by pushing the start button without the clutch depressed. This disengages the routine and as long as the key-fob is in my pocket (or likely within range) the car will bump start freely. If you do not press the start button however the car will act like it's dead in the water and will not start.
Flourman, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Nov 11, 2020

Won't matter much if your battery is dead because of a bad alternator. You won't be able to generate power to keep the fuel pump running.
Silver-Bolt

Gladesmen

Nov 12, 2020

Won't matter much if your battery is dead because of a bad alternator. You won't be able to generate power to keep the fuel pump running.
Yep A bad battery and you can still run your car. But a dead alternator and you a stuck
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
TXArchitect, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Feb 19, 2022

Curious if anyone's tried to bump/roll start their manual Bronco

Rank V

Feb 19, 2022

Hopefully it doesn’t get lost as those were the good ole days!✌

Rank III

May 09, 2022

I tried bump starting my Bronco going down my drive way / street. I had the ignition on and put it in second gear. Started rolling and dumped the clutch and it started. I got down my street about 100 yards or so and everything when hay wire and it shut off. It displayed messages that it need service and traction control is off.. I wish I took a video. It would not restart until I completely shut it off and waited about a minute. So I guess bump starting is not something the Ford engineers thought of !