Bronco Sport Badlands dies crossing 20" of Water

Big Brody
Apr 20, 2021

Rank 0

Apr 20, 2021

Hi Bronco Nation,
I was carefully crossing water in my Bronco Sport Badlands and it died in 18-20" of water. This video explains it. Here is a Sprinter Van going much faster through about the same depth one week later.
It is currently at a dealer getting investigated. I'll keep this updated if anyone is interested in the outcome.

Thanks
Bronco_Girl, KennyMac
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2021

Rank VI

Apr 20, 2021

Hi Bronco Nation,
I was carefully crossing water in my Bronco Sport Badlands and it died in 18-20" of water. This video explains it. Here is a Sprinter Van going much faster through about the same depth one week later.
It is currently at a dealer getting investigated. I'll keep this updated if anyone is interested in the outcome.

Thanks
The only time I’ve ever been stuck off-road was in a cj7 and I had water just below my chest sitting in the driver seat. Since then, I avoid water like the plague.
Bronclahoma, Deano Bronc

Rank III

Apr 20, 2021

Hi Bronco Nation,

Thanks
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Report back exactly what failed after you get a report from the dealer. Maybe you can save some others from this.
bdawson24, Deano Bronc

Rank I

Jul 29, 2021

Any updates on what happened?
DRWright

Rank VI

Jul 29, 2021

Looks like @Big Brody hasn't been back.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
DRWright

Rank 0

Aug 02, 2021

So I got it over to Western Slope Ford in Grand Junction from Moab at my expense (getting reimbursed is still on going). They ended up finding corrosion in the ECU connectors from not being sealed correctly at the factory. WSF replaced the ECU and two body harnesses at their expense and was going to submit it back to Ford for warranty. I know it originally got denied by Ford, but I never heard if it was eventually covered by Ford.
bdawson24, TEEDEE

Rank VI

Aug 02, 2021

Thanks.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Big Brody

Rank VI

Aug 03, 2021

So I got it over to Western Slope Ford in Grand Junction from Moab at my expense (getting reimbursed is still on going). They ended up finding corrosion in the ECU connectors from not being sealed correctly at the factory. WSF replaced the ECU and two body harnesses at their expense and was going to submit it back to Ford for warranty. I know it originally got denied by Ford, but I never heard if it was eventually covered by Ford.
Makes you wonder what the long term could mean then in areas of high humidity if the unit isn't sealed very well.
Wildtrak, 4DR, Iconic Silver, High, Camo Seats.
Bronc96

Rank 0

Aug 03, 2021

Makes you wonder what the long term could mean then in areas of high humidity if the unit isn't sealed very well.
Makes you wonder why they put the ECU in the wheel well.
doublebullout, 73chesney

Rank 0

Aug 24, 2021

If this really happening then why didn’t you videotape it when it was happening this could be bogus. Sorry I don’t believe you.

QUOTE=“Big Brody, post: 58029, member: 10826”]Hi Bronco Nation,

Thanks[/QUOTE]
EZAPAR

Rank III

Aug 24, 2021

Do silly things, get silly results.
benjaminkrawiec

Rank 0

Aug 26, 2021

If this really happening then why didn’t you videotape it when it was happening this could be bogus. Sorry I don’t believe you.

QUOTE=“Big Brody, post: 58029, member: 10826”]Hi Bronco Nation,

Thanks
[/QUOTE]
In hind sight, I wish I would have, however I was busy trying to get my brand new car out of a stream so the line of people piling up to get by in their sprinter Vans could get to their campsites. Sorry for being a bad millennial and worrying about the moment and not viewership.
Buckin', Bronco_Girl

Life is a Highway

Aug 26, 2021

In hind sight, I wish I would have, however I was busy trying to get my brand new car out of a stream so the line of people piling up to get by in their sprinter Vans could get to their campsites. Sorry for being a bad millennial and worrying about the moment and not viewership.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe you were to busy driving and trying to keep your car from drowning to video yourself! :ROFLMAO:
EZAPAR, bdawson24

Rank 0

Aug 31, 2021

HI Have you had any other issues with the Badlands Sport? Since you had new ECO sensor(s) put on has it died crossing water over 17"? Also any idea why tow package is not offered when you get the badlands package and i cant order it from factory that way either ? :(

Rank V

Aug 31, 2021

18" of water can be a problem depending on where your air intake is etc. I am really surprised it is being covered under warranty but new vehicles they need yahoo's to do dumb stuff and break them to find the weak points. That sprinter may be needing a new motor next week but hey if he did it, lol.
Past - 87 Suz Sam; 76 ChevBlaz14 Rubi 2 Dr -35's First Auto 4wd. Ox Wht 2dr Base SAS, bumper, Flr-lin, 2.7 aux switches.
Rydfree

Rank VI

Aug 31, 2021

Hi Bronco Nation,

Thanks
Thanks for posting. Welcome to BN!!
Bronco Nation Member #0000
Instagram: bdawson24

Rank 0

Aug 31, 2021

The thing that is strange about this, in the days of video taping everything, is that no one had a video... Am I right? I mean millennial or not, that's not really the point. Perhaps you were caught up in the moment / busy trying to unblock the road, I get it... But no one else had a video of a Bronco stranded? I will say that does seem a bit surprising, no? I'm not familiar with this area, but according to you there were vehicles lined up wanting to cross and no one got the video? Further, everyone I've seen with these vehicles is documenting pretty much every pebble they go over, and no video of forging water? I'm not questioning something happened. And, it's certainly something to be aware of...

That's part of the problem with all these "fancy"new vehicles with every electrical sensor known to man....I'm watching old trucks forge through 30" of water (est.) and, hell, Russian vehicles actually driving down rivers....IF Ford wants to instill confidence in off-roading, these things can't happen...

Here's a video around the same time... Go to 12:50 and see some guy videoing someone else. Not saying this is the same spot...

Rank V

Sep 01, 2021

Damn, tough crowd. Folks in a forum for the newest, most capable off road vehicle to hit the market in many years, talking shit to a guy for taking his new off road capable vehicle - gasp! - OFF ROAD?? How dare he be so foolish! I hope yall ordered the sasquatch package so you can handle the speed bumps on the way to pick up another box of thin mints from the girl scouts in front of Kroger.

SMH...
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Buckin', Speed Devil

Knows the cheat code.

Oct 13, 2021

Be aware of where you air intake is. Seems like user error.
"Just because you don't understand it don't mean it don't make no sense."

Rank V

Oct 13, 2021

I have taken water over the roof during monsoon's in the Rubi and I was looking for trouble too. I got lucky. I have also crossed the Rio Verde river at Sheep Bridge in AZ and it all about going slow and not creating a bow wave. I have seen water like the Sprinter hit at speed stop a trusty Toyota and a race prepped buggy. I have seen pieces of crap and mini vans go through the same water without out a miss. Just take the right blast to hit the right component and game over. Use to race snowmobiles on water. You seal everything and just the right splash of water hits the clutch. Your now a boat anchor.
Past - 87 Suz Sam; 76 ChevBlaz14 Rubi 2 Dr -35's First Auto 4wd. Ox Wht 2dr Base SAS, bumper, Flr-lin, 2.7 aux switches.
EZAPAR