GMRS radios what are you using?

Bigadamonbass
Jul 27, 2023

Rank 0

Jul 27, 2023

Just applied/received my GMRS license and call sign. What is everyone using for their radios? I know they range in prices but like someone mentioned on another thread the trail in New England I was looking at requires you to have a GMRS radio before entering the trail. I do not plan on doing any crazy off roading as I only have a sport big bend but would like to see what I can do in it.
Laura, Darrel
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2023

Trusted and Carefree

Jul 27, 2023

I am running a KG-1000G. I went with this because I could remote mount the faceplate, its 50watts, and I am a big nerd so I could mess around with all the features. Here is my install thread.
https://thebronconation.com/trail-communication-n.148/kg-1000g-install-t.17107/page-1

I have previously run a Radioddity DB 25G, which I really liked, but was a pain to set up. It is now the base-station in the house. I got it for the quad monitoring, but that's a little much.
https://www.radioddity.com/products/radioddity-db25g

I also used to have, and really liked the Midland MXT-275. This one puts all the controls on the mic, so you can stash the body. It's also 15 watts, so it doesn't have to be hardwired into the truck.
https://midlandusa.com/products/mxt275-micromobile-two-way-radio

If I was a new GMRS user starting out however, I would probably start with a cheapie handset and play around with it. I have and use the Radioddity GM-30. It's cheap, repeater capable and pretty easy to set up and use. It would be a good way to see what the GMRS usage looked like in your area. Lots of good choices to mess around with in this price rage though.

https://www.radioddity.com/collections/consumer-radios-frs-gmrs-radios/products/radioddity-gm-30

If I was going to go with something for the vehicle for a new user, I would probably get the MXT-275. There are better radios with more features for less money, but the 275 is easy to work, easy to set up, and doesnt make the vehicle cabin look like a radio shack. This one is pretty popular with the off-road crowd for a reason. You can probably find a used one on fleabay pretty cheap, especially since they put the 575 out and lots of folks are upgrading.

For the record- more power does not equal more better in the GMRS radio world. Line of site and terrain masking will effect your range way more than anything else. Once you get north of like 15 watts or so, they are all pretty much the same. I am aware that I mentioned part of the reason I run the radio I run is that it was 50 watts, but i'm used to being a hypocrite ๐Ÿ˜ . Honestly, I would be just as happy if it was 20 watts or so, and I would probably get about the same performance.
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco
Laura, Deano Bronc

Rank 0

Jul 27, 2023

I am running a KG-1000G. I went with this because I could remote mount the faceplate, its 50watts, and I am a big nerd so I could mess around with all the features. Here is my install thread.
https://thebronconation.com/trail-communication-n.148/kg-1000g-install-t.17107/page-1

I have previously run a Radioddity DB 25G, which I really liked, but was a pain to set up. It is now the base-station in the house. I got it for the quad monitoring, but that's a little much.

I also used to have, and really liked the Midland MXT-275. This one puts all the controls on the mic, so you can stash the body. It's also 15 watts, so it doesn't have to be hardwired into the truck.

If I was a new GMRS user starting out however, I would probably start with a cheapie handset and play around with it. I have and use the Radioddity GM-30. It's cheap, repeater capable and pretty easy to set up and use. It would be a good way to see what the GMRS usage looked like in your area. Lots of good choices to mess around with in this price rage though.

https://www.radioddity.com/collections/consumer-radios-frs-gmrs-radios/products/radioddity-gm-30

If I was going to go with something for the vehicle for a new user, I would probably get the MXT-275. There are better radios with more features for less money, but the 275 is easy to work, easy to set up, and doesnt make the vehicle cabin look like a radio shack. This one is pretty popular with the off-road crowd for a reason. You can probably find a used one on fleabay pretty cheap, especially since they put the 575 out and lots of folks are upgrading.

For the record- more power does not equal more better in the GMRS radio world. Line of site and terrain masking will effect your range way more than anything else. Once you get north of like 15 watts or so, they are all pretty much the same. I am aware that I mentioned part of the reason I run the radio I run is that it was 50 watts, but i'm used to being a hypocrite ๐Ÿ˜ . Honestly, I would be just as happy if it was 20 watts or so, and I would probably get about the same performance.

Will definitely have to check your thread. Thank you for your input!
Darrel

Rank VI

Jul 27, 2023

I got a pair of these for $45 bucks on Amazon.
Baofeng Radio UV-5R 8W Comes with a bunch of stuff.

1690492125284.png

They work great on the trail.
CO OBX 2dr. 2.7l, 4.27 rear locker, tow, Lux, Aux switches, roof rails, Roast Leather. 7/14/20 res, 1/30/21 order.
12/13/21 build week. Blend date 12/16/21 Built 12/29/21 Brought home 1/1/22
Laura

Rank V

Jul 27, 2023

Baofeng UV9G
"There's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a Bronco" - John Bronco
Laura

Rank V

Jul 28, 2023

I installed a MXT575. Nice radio, works well. Followed an install thread on the G6 site. If you are like me I didn't understand the use of GMRS. It's not like a CB where folks are talking and you can get folks to respond. I've had my radio installed for a couple weeks now, and can't get anyone to respond to let me know if I can be heard, what we use to call a radio check on the CB. The forum I'm on said that most people bring their own friends and will not talk or answer general requests. I switched to GMRS because of the range they have, especially when out on the trail. If folks don't respond then I'm not sure the value of the extra range. Just wanted to post this in case you or others have the same lack of understanding I did.
Laura

Rank 0

Jul 28, 2023

I installed a MXT575. Nice radio, works well. Followed an install thread on the G6 site. If you are like me I didn't understand the use of GMRS. It's not like a CB where folks are talking and you can get folks to respond. I've had my radio installed for a couple weeks now, and can't get anyone to respond to let me know if I can be heard, what we use to call a radio check on the CB. The forum I'm on said that most people bring their own friends and will not talk or answer general requests. I switched to GMRS because of the range they have, especially when out on the trail. If folks don't respond then I'm not sure the value of the extra range. Just wanted to post this in case you or others have the same lack of understanding I did.
I am still learning all about GMRS. It is useful knowledge to know that people wonโ€™t typically respond like they would with a CB. For me it would definitely be a tool to use when Iโ€™m out with a group of people.
Mal

๐ŸŽ Moab on my mind ๐ŸŽ

Jul 28, 2023

Will definitely have to check your thread. Thank you for your input!

I'm a friend of @Mal and he is the real deal! I went with hand held while I decide where I want to mount everything. And I will be looking for this thread when I make my decision.
Thanks for the info Jason!
Hi y'all, Lauri here and I am the proud owner of a MY21 Badlands, SAS, 2.7 auto, 4 door, soft top, Cactus Gray, no reservation, ordered 9/11/21, Took delivery 1/8/22!
Mal

Bailing forward!

Jul 28, 2023

I have some Baofengs as well and they work pretty well but I recommend getting the models that do sub channels, mine do not.
Mal

Rank V

Jul 28, 2023

Great info, thank you. My wife and I have been using a pair of Midland GXT handhelds for a few years and want to step up to a vehicle mounted system for both Broncos, I'll take your advice and go with the MXT 275's.
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT: Factory dark jade and wimbleton special tutone, 32,000 original miles, sport steering wheel, CB, lighted vanity, AC, etc.
2021 Bronco Badlands carbonized gray, 4Dr, 2.7, lux, leather, Trektop, Rock Slide Engineering steps & tailgate table.
Mal

@MyDogsBronco

Jul 28, 2023

MXT 275 zip tie mounted under the seat, magnetic antennae on the back roll bar. I always take a set of midland handhelds with me for folks who don't have radios as well.
STL, IG: MyDogsBronco
Oxford White Badlands, 2.7, Sasquatch, SoftTop, Tow, Lux
Ordered: April 28, 2021; Vin received: 10/1; Bronco Off Rodeo: New Hampshire 10/6; Production Date: 12/9; Delivered 2/1
Mal, Bigadamonbass

Trusted and Carefree

Jul 31, 2023

I am still learning all about GMRS. It is useful knowledge to know that people wonโ€™t typically respond like they would with a CB. For me it would definitely be a tool to use when Iโ€™m out with a group of people.

It depends a lot on what the local usage in the area is like. Some areas look like ham radio-lite, others have very little traffic. GMRS is most useful for communication with other folks you know (and its really good for that). I think it is best to think about it more as a tool for a specific purpose, than like a hobby (like Ham). For a trail ride, you need to be able to talk to the other vehicles in the column, and spotters so some vehicle mounted radios and/or some hand helds are all you need.

However, If you like playing around with radios, check out what the repeater situation is in the places you run around. https://mygmrs.com/ and https://www.repeaterbook.com/index.php/en-us/ will help you figure it out. Repeaters make GMRS really useful for long-distance communication, but they are not a necessity for good trail coms.

Northwest Bronco

Jul 31, 2023

I used to use handhelds, but the batteries wouldn't last long enough. If you're looking to just talk car to car on trails, I'd recommend a midland set up. The 275 is regular power and the new 575 is full power. There's a price difference. But it gets the job done. Here's a video that may help!
Northwest Bronco Channel
Mal

Gladesmen

Jul 31, 2023

Still learning the GMRS myself, I got a pair of Rugged Radios hand sets they were a sponsor for the Wheeling for a Cause in January at K2. they work well and the flashlight is a nice added feature.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Mal, B MIller

Trusted and Carefree

Jul 31, 2023

Still learning the GMRS myself, I got a pair of Rugged Radios hand sets they were a sponsor for the Wheeling for a Cause in January at K2. they work well and the flashlight is a nice added feature.

The flashlight on the hand held is one of those things that I would never had picked to be on there, but I end up using all the time.
B MIller, Jakob1972

Rank 0

Jul 31, 2023

I ended up picking the tidradio gm-5r 2 pack with the 3800 mAh batteries. For the 2 pack it was $55 and for that price and what I have found on them the price cant be beat. Eventually I would like to get a mobile unit for the BS but definitely need to recoup some funds after the money spent the last few weeks.
Mal

Rank VI

Jul 31, 2023

I used a Btech GMRS-V2 and have not had any issues with it. Has great range and battery is beyond amazing. Use it for hours on end and still have almost full bars. I prefer it over a vehicle mounted one for my use as I take it out of the vehicle to help spot people on the trail often when I go out.

MY21 2dr Black Diamond 7MT Velocity Blue!
Mal